Surging idle after overnight cold soak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I am new to owing a Ram so I am not familiar with what is normal for these trucks. When I first start up after letting the truck sit overnight the idle surges/searches for a few seconds before it smooths out. It runs fine afterwards and doesn't have the wondering idle again until the next morning. no engine light or any other warning lights. Anyone know if this is a normal characteristic of the 2019 5.7L or is this something that I should get checked out?

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can't help you with what it might be but mine doesn't do that, if it's still under warranty and you can leave it overnight so they can check it, then I would go that route.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine does it to. I do a fair amount of software mapping for a popular OEM and I am pretty confident there is a bad spot in the fueling map during warm up. It is not a large one, but when you hit those magic operating conditions,
our 60K truck sounds and feels like it was calibrated by Big Als dyno shop on the south side of town.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I am new to owing a Ram so I am not familiar with what is normal for these trucks. When I first start up after letting the truck sit overnight the idle surges/searches for a few seconds before it smooths out. It runs fine afterwards and doesn't have the wondering idle again until the next morning. no engine light or any other warning lights. Anyone know if this is a normal characteristic of the 2019 5.7L or is this something that I should get checked out?

Hi Joshua,

If you do end up addressing this with your dealer, please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. We are just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
Joshua G

Joshua G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Mine does it to. I do a fair amount of software mapping for a popular OEM and I am pretty confident there is a bad spot in the fueling map during warm up. It is not a large one, but when you hit those magic operating conditions,
our 60K truck sounds and feels like it was calibrated by Big Als dyno shop on the south side of town.
I agree with you that it does seem to be a potential programming issue. So far I've noticed that it only really happens when it is under 50F in the morning. That makes it a bit difficult for diagnostics when I live in the Phoenix area. If I do decide to take it into the dealer I'm going to have to wait until the weather will be co-operative.

msw1382

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just made an appointment for mine this Thurs. It's been doing it for quite a while but just now taking it in.
Also notice if you try to drive during this time before the truck if fully warm, it runs like a total dog.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just made an appointment for mine this Thurs. It's been doing it for quite a while but just now taking it in.
Also notice if you try to drive during this time before the truck if fully warm, it runs like a total dog.

Please let us know if you would like additional support while your truck is in service on Thursday.

Darlene
Ram Cares

OP
OP
Joshua G

Joshua G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Hopefully it's a simple reprogram that takes care of it

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is FIAT, I think you mean Big Tony's

:)

msw1382

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As an update -

I dropped off the truck this morning.... Turns out there are 3 technical TSB related to software updates that I needed. I'm having the recalls taken care of as well so I won't have it back for a day or two.
When I get the service paperwork after picking it up I'll post up what those TSB's were.

I know one was related to etourqe, one was transmission related and the 3rd was for engine control. All of which sound viable to resolve the issue.

OP
OP
Joshua G

Joshua G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
As a follow-up, took my truck in and yes, there is a programming update for rough idle in cold start ups. Seems to have taken care of the issue for now.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
As a follow-up, took my truck in and yes, there is a programming update for rough idle in cold start ups. Seems to have taken care of the issue for now.

Hello Joshua,
We are happy to hear your concern has been resolved. If you have questions or concerns in the future we are just a private message away.
Laura
RamCares

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well sounds like I need to plan a visit to the dealer. My sunglass holder doesn't work, my memory seats do not work, and my mood lighting is calling out of the dash on the passenger side. Get all that fixed and the flash and it will be like having a new truck!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well sounds like I need to plan a visit to the dealer. My sunglass holder doesn't work, my memory seats do not work, and my mood lighting is calling out of the dash on the passenger side. Get all that fixed and the flash and it will be like having a new truck!

Hello DAVECS1,
If you decide to move forward with your dealers for this matter, our team is just a PM away if you are in need of any assistance.
Laura
RamCares

RAM new

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 5.7 does the same thing. It even surges some while driving at idle speed when first leaving when it has not yet warmed up. Took it to dealer a couple of months ago, and they could not find a problem.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple of suggestions for those affected by this issue.

1. Check the torque on the intake manifold bolts
2. (little extreme) Check the gap on your spark plugs

The reason I bring these two things up is that my challenger also had cold start issues and sometimes idle surges when at a stop. Did a lot of research on the 5.7 and EVERYONE who checked the manifold bolts has reported back that they were loose and out of spec. I do not know if this issue has been resolved since but it took me checking it 3-4 times at oil change intervals to finally get the torque to stick. Each time I tightened them up there was a noticeable difference in how smooth the engine ran. The first time I checked one of the bolts could be tightened by hand... With these composite manifolds that heat expand and retract it just loosens the bolts eventually.

Now the spark plug check may be extreme, but again EVERYONE who has reported back reported the same results. The gaps on the plugs are not in spec from the factory. Its possible that these two issues just happened to everyone I talked to simply because we were all having the cold start/idle issues and those who do not have the issues are fine.

After I made these two changes the car ran smoother than it ever had.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Had mine in today for an oil change, surging idle and the intermittent cross wind noise. Oil change done. Will see tomorrow if the flash they did fixes the surging idle. Crosswind noise could not be duplicated.

TSB for the surging is #18-038-19

Last edited:

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Am happy to report the TSB notes above fixed the surging issue.

Too bad Ramcare can’t contribute to this forum by listing the TSBs...