Surround view with trailer option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read the owners manual on this topic and the phrase “if equipped” concerns me.

How do I know if the truck has the option to include the trailer with surround view?

When the camera is mounted on the trailer, can it connect to the surround view system? If so, how is this done?

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you get the towing package, which includes the towing mirrors, you will not get surround view. I have a 2020 limited, no towing package, but it did come with a trailer brake control and I fo have surround view.

I use clip on mirror extensions when towing. They fit like gloves on the mirrors.

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck has the trailer reverse guidance option. So is all that needs to be added is the camera on the trailer? How is this then connected to the surround view system?

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you get the towing package, which includes the towing mirrors, you will not get surround view. I have a 2020 limited, no towing package, but it did come with a trailer brake control and I fo have surround view.

I use clip on mirror extensions when towing. They fit like gloves on the mirrors.

The truck has the trailer tow package and the surround view. So, it seems I’m good to go with surround view I just want to figure out how to connect the trailer camera to the system

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck has the trailer tow package and the surround view. So, it seems I’m good to go with surround view I just want to figure out how to connect the trailer camera to the system

Interesting- I thought those were mutually exclusive. Mirrors need to have cameras for surround view, and I’ve been under the impression that the tow mirrors did not have cameras. Guess I’ve been under incorrect impression.

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be interested to know how a rear view camera mounted on the trailer can be incorporated in the 12” display. And if it can be done economically.

I cant see how it could be part of surround, but would like a trailer rear view. Would like to avoid an add-on display.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting- I thought those were mutually exclusive. Mirrors need to have cameras for surround view, and I’ve been under the impression that the tow mirrors did not have cameras. Guess I’ve been under incorrect impression.

Only on the heavy duty tow mirrors from what I know, didn't hear of that changing on the 1500's. The heavy duty tow mirrors also come in power fold as well, certainly would be nice if they would use them on the 1500's too.

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only on the heavy duty tow mirrors from what I know, didn't hear of that changing on the 1500's. The heavy duty tow mirrors also come in power fold as well, certainly would be nice if they would use them on the 1500's too.

I have a 2019 RAM 2500 with surround view. The mirrors have a power fold feature and two cameras.

BA1A748B-8CDA-4923-8BE8-264C63DC5417.jpeg

C82C132C-669A-4B2C-8941-F0E7839C1642.jpeg

45F4A1EC-66E7-419C-A24D-65B0B63DD9C9.jpeg

DC04BEF6-E839-4406-A101-210CDC1C6E52.jpeg

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

my 2019 ram 2500 has the towing technology group which includes the surround view camera, and trailer reverse guidance. There is no mention of towing mirrors. Here are some photos of the mirrors:

so, it seems I have the towing mirrors, if that’s how these are designated, and surround view .

34AF83A5-62B4-47B8-9617-989AC0383F9E.jpeg

A3801C93-B5A8-4619-9F7E-E91ABC983CC8.jpeg

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would be interested to know how a rear view camera mounted on the trailer can be incorporated in the 12” display. And if it can be done economically.

I cant see how it could be part of surround, but would like a trailer rear view. Would like to avoid an add-on display.

On my previous trailer, a camera was mounted to the trailer and the rearview mirror was changed to a mirror that shows the camera view. so, there is was no additional display just a different mirror

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am guessing you have a 1500. They do not have the cameras in the tow mirrors.

If I am wrong and you do have a 2019 or 2020 2500, then you didnt get the tow technology group.

The 2019/20 RAM HeavyDuty trucks do have the surround view capability with the tow mirrors.

Www.HDRams.com has a few threads about the trailer camera. So far no One has got the trailer camera to work to their liking.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
On my previous trailer, a camera was mounted to the trailer and the rearview mirror was changed to a mirror that shows the camera view. so, there is was no additional display just a different mirror
Yes. You need the trailer camera to complete the package.

As mentioned above the trailer camera has been the biggest blunder of the HeavyDuty roll out. That and the trailer tire pressure monitoring.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

You are giving him information that although is correct for a 1500 is completely wrong for a 2500.

It is a very soar subject with the 1500 5th Gen guys to bring up powerfold and surround view with tow mirrors.

The 1500 didnt get it...but the towing machines do.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You are correct...but only in the 1500 trucks. HeavyDuty get them.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

The HeavyDuty trucks with the tow technology group get the 7 and 4 pin trailer plug swapped for a 12 and 7 pin trailer plug, which allows the 12 and 8 inch screen to show rhe view from the rear of trailer with a trailer camera.

I know I am on repeat...but you may have missed this is a discussion about the HeavyDuty.

Your information is correct and on point...but information about the 1500

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am guessing you have a 1500. They do not have the cameras in the tow mirrors.

If I am wrong and you do have a 2019 or 2020 2500, then you didnt get the tow technology group.

The 2019/20 RAM HeavyDuty trucks do have the surround view capability with the tow mirrors.

Www.HDRams.com has a few threads about the trailer camera. So far no One has got the trailer camera to work to their liking.

That last sentence has me concerned. I just paid a lot of money to order a Mopar camera for my trailer. I need to investigate this

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That last sentence has me concerned. I just paid a lot of money to order a Mopar camera for my trailer. I need to investigate this
The picture quality wasnt up to their standards. I think you may want to try it yourself since you already ordered it.

Anxious to hear your thoughts when it comes.

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The HeavyDuty trucks with the tow technology group get the 7 and 4 pin trailer plug swapped for a 12 and 7 pin trailer plug, which allows the 12 and 8 inch screen to show rhe view from the rear of trailer with a trailer camera.

I know I am on repeat...but you may have missed this is a discussion about the HeavyDuty.

Your information is correct and on point...but information about the 1500

Yeah - I missed that the OP was asking about HD truck.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
The surround view is nice but I feel the trailer blind spot feature is more beneficial, wish this came with the 2500s.