Suspension Advise Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tropical Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2018 3500 Laramie/Longhorn with stock shocks that need to be replaced now. I need a plan to upgrade in modest increments and still be functional; instead of investing in a shock that is good for now but will need to be replaced if I do any sort of lift. I would like to my suspension to have an increased capacity for fireroads and better highway/city road comfort. I currently have 33" tires and would like to upsize to 35". I have been running Nitto Ridge Grappler and am happy with those and am considering a set of 18" XD820 Grenade Satin Black Milled rims. I have sort of narrowed in on Bilstein 5100 for the shocks. I was talking with a local shop and they mentioned a 1 3/4 lift for the front - not sure why. I saw somewhere that Bilstein has an adjustable shock which would seem like a perfect way to have functional shocks, then worry about lifts and trackbars/sway bars later when i upgrade rims and tires. Need to understand my options a little better.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Bilstein Gang will be here soon to push them.

Check out Rancho 9000XL - they are adjustable.
There’s a gang? Eek!
That rancho will go from stock height to 3” of lift?

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Research them to see if they meet your needs.
They don’t need to meet mine, the OP, yes. Maybe let him know if they will work on a lift of 1-3” since that is what he is wanting to eventually do. The duty is on you as you suggested them.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into thuren or Carli. That’s going to be a great all around setup for your needs especially since they sell kits depending on your budget

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adjustable bilstein shocks are for half ton trucks only. If you want new shocks with your stock height, your screwed when you lift it. Just do it all at once…or cry later.
Agreed. Get an idea of what you want the end game to be and build towards that, with top quality parts. Don't cheap out on suspension components.

Researching this site is easy and lots of great folks here to help you.

If you can do it all at once, even better.

OP
OP
T

Tropical Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the Thuren kit with Bilstein 5100 shocks but still a little foggy on height of lift needed. I have 33" tires right now and plan to upgrade to 35" in the fall when I need to replace my tires. So if my priority is for comfort and handling with a bit of increased ability on fire roads/dirt roads how much lift would I need to accommodate the 35's? I also find it a bit confusing that the lowest shock that Bilstein seems to have is 2-2.5" lift and Thuren has offers .5 and 1.75" lift for diesel trucks. Does Thuren have access to custom height shocks?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963