Suspension Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadwarrior 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a '17 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 5.7 with 235k miles. Truck is well maintained, like new condition, never had any problems, no accidents.
Just recently I was driving on the highway loaded with 5 adults and the truck started swaying to a point that it was almost uncontrollable. It was like a boat heading into a storm.....I don't haul or tow with the truck.
Changed tires for winter probably 5k prior to swaying issue started (Falken Wildpeaks AT3, run them every winter).
Items replaced after swaying issue:
New Bilstein's (6112's - front and 5110"s - rear).
New sway bar end links.
Tires reballanced.
New Alignment.
Had the front end inspected twice, everything is in excellent shape and tight.
Panhard is tight.
Was told it could be the rear springs getting weak due to the mileage......?
Truck has imoroved with the Bilstein's, don't have the major boat feeling but still feels like the rear still sways, wants to pull left and quickly shifts to the right after a bump or dip in the road.
Anyone experience anything like this before?
Thanks to all in advance!!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Panhard is tight.
Take it to a different shop.

The only thing that happens when springs start to fatigue is they lose height - and that hasn't really been a problem for any vehicle in decades. Springs just hold the vehicle up - shocks and links control movement.
These trucks do not have anything unique or difficult to analyze in their suspension. If your truck is out of control it's a sloppy link or ball joint (obvious on any competent inspection), a shock that's leaked out all its oil (obvious) or possibly a destroyed steering rack or flat tire which would be apparent immediately as well.
Wide wheel offsets will make a vehicle more susceptible to ruts and road crowns & excessive positive camber or excessive toe-in will make handling feel "darty" - but those would be apparent to a competent inspection too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a '17 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 5.7 with 235k miles. Truck is well maintained, like new condition, never had any problems, no accidents.
Just recently I was driving on the highway loaded with 5 adults and the truck started swaying to a point that it was almost uncontrollable. It was like a boat heading into a storm.....I don't haul or tow with the truck.
Changed tires for winter probably 5k prior to swaying issue started (Falken Wildpeaks AT3, run them every winter).
New sway bar end links.
Tires reballanced.
New Alignment.
Panhard is tight.
Truck has imoroved with the Bilstein's, don't have the major boat feeling but still feels like the rear still sways, wants to pull left and quickly shifts to the right after a bump or dip in the road.
Check the rear locating arm bushings,if they haven't been checked

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory rear end on rams are made with big soft bushings.
You want a tight rear end. You need aftermarket control arms and Panhard bar like the ones from Clayton Off-Road.
And upgrade the weak rear coils

I dont even run sway bars... lol...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
New sway bar end links.
Tires reballanced.
New Alignment.
Panhard is tight.
Just out of curiosity, did you check your air pressure and what pressure do you run ? We had some sudden cold temps that required airing up .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam