Suspension Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Looking into potential options to improve the ride quality on the 3500 without sacrificing the payload / tow capabilities. The stock truck is great for what I need, except it is aggravating my wife's bad back. We came across a video talking about the Kelderman 4 pt air suspension, but most of what I have seen on this is with lifted trucks. Not looking to do a lift, or go off-roading. Just looking for an improved ride without sacrificing the technical capability of the truck. Anyone have any experience with this setup, or other options out there? Does it actually improve the ride?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you thought of suspension seats ?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's really hard to improve (make softer) the ride without sacrificing some payload and towing capability. There simply is no easy answer here. You could end up dumping thousands of $ into and still not be where you want. Maybe some sort of seat cushion or support?

zrock

Reaction score
After market air suspension is great.. With a quality kit you will not sacrifice any payload if you did airbag suspension would not be used on just about every big rig out their. Do your research and have a quality shop do the install.. They are not overly complicated to install and should not break the bank on the install. The initial investment of the equipment, compressor, and controller may hurt especially if you get good stuff.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are we talking while towing or while unloaded? Tire pressure for unloaded ride.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at thuren. I have a 22' 3500 and did a complete thuren set up sway bar, track bar, front springs, rear leaf spring, shackles and king shocks. If she can't handle that ride you might look at a car...... my 3500 rides better than a chevy.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Jut FYI to everyone offering suggestions, looking at his profile pic it appears we are talking a dually here so that eliminates several options....

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jut FYI to everyone offering suggestions, looking at his profile pic it appears we are talking a dually here so that eliminates several options....

The Thuren leafs will work with the dually axle (as long as he doesn't have the factory air ride and gets some new u bolts), paired with some upgraded shocks might be a good option.

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Yes, talking about a dually
No, a car won't suffice as I need to tow a 5th wheel.
Need to maintain payload capacity as this setup is running 26,*** lbs combined
Looking at better ride unloaded without destroying the rock solid towing I have now.
No air ride on the truck currently. Straight stock leaf spring suspension.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at better ride unloaded without destroying the rock solid towing I have now.
Sounds like a nice setup. I think the Thuren leafs with Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks would be the ticket, but you can always ask Thuren their advice regarding payload/towing.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You will lose payload with thuren rear springs and I would double check with thuren what the difference is from dually rear springs and single rear wheel. I've tow quite a bit and went with the thuren leaf springs. I also added air bags to compensate for the loss payload when needed. My 3500 is single rear wheel. You Might be able to do the rear springs and put 7500lbs bags back there.

First thing I would do if I were you is thuren active sway bar, thuren front springs, and shock. I did this first while while I waited on rear springs. Just adding those parts first made a world of difference, more than rear springs.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it’s unloaded ride quality you lack, tire pressure is the easiest and most effective place to start. You certainly don’t need to run max pressure when unloaded. I don’t have an HD so I don’t know what a good psi to start with would be but maybe someone else can chime in, Id probably start with 5-10 psi lower.

If that solves your issue you could look into installing an onboard air compressor for convenient airing back up to max psi when hooking up, as I recall you rv full time? In which case you’d be towing quite a lot and that could save a lot of time and effort. Just an idea