Swap Compilation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Not much better for the 03 lol, other than having a hemi. Personally I think the Eaton install on a 4.7 would be fun.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've never been a Super Charger/ Turbo fan. I have always gone natural aspiration. I love Ford, they are my go to vehicle, Dodge 2nd, and anything else but a General Maintenance. But Ford believes in Turbo and Super Chargers. Love Shelby and Roush Mustangs, but will never get one because of the Super Chargers. Why can Chrysler & General Maintenance do Natural, but Ford can't. I know they can, they just feel that consumers want that extra, added on ********. Not me.

You said it was a PITA for tuning an '03? As in using Superchips or something like that?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've never been a Super Charger/ Turbo fan. I have always gone natural aspiration. I love Ford, they are my go to vehicle, Dodge 2nd, and anything else but a General Maintenance. But Ford believes in Turbo and Super Chargers. Love Shelby and Roush Mustangs, but will never get one because of the Super Chargers. Why can Chrysler & General Maintenance do Natural, but Ford can't. I know they can, they just feel that consumers want that extra, added on ********. Not me.

You said it was a PITA for tuning an '03? As in using Superchips or something like that?

So based on that logic you'll never want a hellcat then lol, or any of the later ZR1 Corvettes or ZL1 Camaro or CTS-V

No, as in the 03 hemi ECM is absolute **** in it's tunability. You can't alter a whole bunch, makes custom tuning very difficult beyond a small cam upgrade. The 04 was better, 05 even better and arguably the best year Ram for custom tuning.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
So based on that logic you'll never want a hellcat then lol, or any of the later ZR1 Corvettes or ZL1 Camaro or CTS-V

No, as in the 03 hemi ECM is absolute **** in it's tunability. You can't alter a whole bunch, makes custom tuning very difficult beyond a small cam upgrade. The 04 was better, 05 even better and arguably the best year Ram for custom tuning.

Exactly right about the other cars. And I'll ride horse and buggy to hell before I'll ever get a Corvette, new, old or in a junkyard (Which is exactly what all GM Car Lots are).

Yeah, but the '03 is the cheapest route, '04 & '05 harness too damn expensive. And I read something from you and another member before about a TCM upgrade, that just turned the Transmission from one to another. What is that all about?

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Exactly right about the other cars. And I'll ride horse and buggy to hell before I'll ever get a Corvette, new, old or in a junkyard (Which is exactly what all GM Car Lots are).

Yeah, but the '03 is the cheapest route, '04 & '05 harness too damn expensive. And I read something from you and another member before about a TCM upgrade, that just turned the Transmission from one to another. What is that all about?

I did this swap with the TCM. Basically it just repgrograms it to run like the 545rfe as there shouldn't be any mechanic difference between the two. You have to find the proper TCM out of a Jeep GC or another one similar. I just checked my part numbers to ensure it was a TCM from the proper jeep and ordered it off ebay. Swapped them out and everything worked. My highway mpg averages 18. I forget the exact parts numbers for only specific jeeps had the 545rfe. IMO it was the best mod for increased mpg. if you do some research there are a few threads on other forums where someone recorded the swap and how the truck performed immediately after it

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It literally enables the extra OD gear that a 545 has that 45 does not. Everything else works the same.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's funny how Chrysler had it already as a 5 speed, but yet chose to stop it from engaging by putting in a 4 speed TCM to block it.
Well...someone calculated it out once, if you could actually fully program it (remember, they were 6 speeds later on) the RFE is capable of like 12 forward gears and 2 reverse (IIRC) gears. They had it has a 4sp in those vintage Dakotas, Durangos & Grand Cherokees; I'm inclined to think it was to match the gearing in those vehicles, then the third gen Ram came out with steeper gear ratios plus tightening fuel economy standards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Well...someone calculated it out once, if you could actually fully program it (remember, they were 6 speeds later on) the RFE is capable of like 12 forward gears and 2 reverse (IIRC) gears. They had it has a 4sp in those vintage Dakotas, Durangos & Grand Cherokees; I'm inclined to think it was to match the gearing in those vehicles, then the third gen Ram came out with steeper gear ratios plus tightening fuel economy standards.

That is something that I did not know, thank you for giving me my "Learn something new today" for today. Not a joke either, I try to learn at least one thing new each day. And I think I'm gonna go the '03 route. Cheaper on the wallet. Who knows, maybe it can run on my 4.7 harness with a '03 Hemi ECM, then I'll need to find the correct part number for the TCM upgrade.

If anyone else has an idea on that number TCM that I need to find, please feel free to comment. I still need to get a damn repair manual, haven't gotten one yet and that's something I tend to do 1st. I'm also looking into getting the Service Repair Manuals for the truck. But if I am getting an '03 Hemi, then I'll need an '03 SRM. Don't think I would still need an '02 SRM, do I?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Here you can download the 03 and 04 service manuals here. I also have the 05 manual on my computer, if you are interested I can email it to you. Also if you go the route of the 05 pcm swap I have a thread on another forum with exact details and all the connector pinouts you need
http://www.ramforum.com/threads/3rd-gen-parts-manuals-and-2003-2004-service-manuals.6504/

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Awesome Dude, thank you for this. I'll save that thread as a bookmark, thanks for that also.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
That is something that I did not know, thank you for giving me my "Learn something new today" for today. Not a joke either, I try to learn at least one thing new each day. And I think I'm gonna go the '03 route. Cheaper on the wallet. Who knows, maybe it can run on my 4.7 harness with a '03 Hemi ECM, then I'll need to find the correct part number for the TCM upgrade.

If anyone else has an idea on that number TCM that I need to find, please feel free to comment. I still need to get a damn repair manual, haven't gotten one yet and that's something I tend to do 1st. I'm also looking into getting the Service Repair Manuals for the truck. But if I am getting an '03 Hemi, then I'll need an '03 SRM. Don't think I would still need an '02 SRM, do I?

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208132

2002 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE TCM TRANSMISSION 4.7L 45RFE P56041905AD 56041905AD

That is what I purchased and it was perfect. I believe in the forum it tells you at the bottom all the part numbers that work.
P56041905AD 56041905AD
"If you used the (56041905AD) 2002 TCM, you don't have to worry. I have also used 2003 and 2004 Jeep TCM's (56044574AC)."

Directions -

I started by removing the Superchip Program Tune. I wanted everything to be a clean install. I then got under the hood and disconnected the negative battery terminal.

The TCM is located on the passenger fender in-between the air cleaner and the firewall. The Engine Control Module (ECM) is mounted on the firewall near the TCM. Both share a common wiring harness.

To get to the TCM, I removed the top of the air cleaner box, set it aside, and then disconnect the ECM and TCM. Start with the 8mm bolt that’s part of the wiring harness connector at the TCM. Then it’s an easy pinch of the finger to disconnect the three connectors at the ECM. Lift the whole wiring harness and lay it behind the lower air cleaner box. With that done, you need only to remove three more 8mm sheet metal screws that hold the TCM and it’s free. Set the Dodge TCM aside and install the Jeep TCM. Very carefully, reconnect all three of the ECM connectors with a straight push until you hear and feel it click in place. To reconnect the TCM connector, you need to start the 8mm bolt by hand; hold the TCM connector in place while you thread the bolt with a socket. DO NOT use a ratchet. Remember, this thing is plastic, silicone chips, aluminum, and its worth about $600 to $800 bucks. As you’re tightening the 8mm bolt, it isn’t a lug nut; so tighten it firm but lightly. Now put the air cleaner back together and reconnect the battery.

Well, you’re done. For the first one hundred miles, the computers are going to need time to learn from each other. So it might be wise to take it easy until the truck learns the Jeep TCM software.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Now I have had 2 people mention about emailing them, but this Forum doesn't have a Private Message system to where I can give out my email address or vise versa (unless I just don't see the PM option on this Forum). What are my options? I really don't want to put it out into the open.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208132

2002 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE TCM TRANSMISSION 4.7L 45RFE P56041905AD 56041905AD

That is what I purchased and it was perfect. I believe in the forum it tells you at the bottom all the part numbers that work.
P56041905AD 56041905AD
"If you used the (56041905AD) 2002 TCM, you don't have to worry. I have also used 2003 and 2004 Jeep TCM's (56044574AC)."

Directions -

I started by removing the Superchip Program Tune. I wanted everything to be a clean install. I then got under the hood and disconnected the negative battery terminal.

The TCM is located on the passenger fender in-between the air cleaner and the firewall. The Engine Control Module (ECM) is mounted on the firewall near the TCM. Both share a common wiring harness.

To get to the TCM, I removed the top of the air cleaner box, set it aside, and then disconnect the ECM and TCM. Start with the 8mm bolt that’s part of the wiring harness connector at the TCM. Then it’s an easy pinch of the finger to disconnect the three connectors at the ECM. Lift the whole wiring harness and lay it behind the lower air cleaner box. With that done, you need only to remove three more 8mm sheet metal screws that hold the TCM and it’s free. Set the Dodge TCM aside and install the Jeep TCM. Very carefully, reconnect all three of the ECM connectors with a straight push until you hear and feel it click in place. To reconnect the TCM connector, you need to start the 8mm bolt by hand; hold the TCM connector in place while you thread the bolt with a socket. DO NOT use a ratchet. Remember, this thing is plastic, silicone chips, aluminum, and its worth about $600 to $800 bucks. As you’re tightening the 8mm bolt, it isn’t a lug nut; so tighten it firm but lightly. Now put the air cleaner back together and reconnect the battery.

Well, you’re done. For the first one hundred miles, the computers are going to need time to learn from each other. So it might be wise to take it easy until the truck learns the Jeep TCM software.

This is also awesome, thank you. So all 3 of those Jeep GC are the upgrade to a 5 speed that I would need?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Now I have had 2 people mention about emailing them, but this Forum doesn't have a Private Message system to where I can give out my email address or vise versa (unless I just don't see the PM option on this Forum). What are my options? I really don't want to put it out into the open.

There is a PM, I’ll send you one. It should be in the top right of the screen by your notification tab

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Okay, I just looked on eBay. I have found several TCM with the part number 56044574, but there are 3 different letters after the numbers. They are AB, AC & AD, is there a difference between them besides being lettered differently?

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
There is a PM, I’ll send you one. It should be in the top right of the screen by your notification tab

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Duh! I'm so used to Forum boards where you have to click on the user name to go to the page with that option. If it was a snake......

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Okay, I just looked on eBay. I have found several TCM with the part number 56044574, but there are 3 different letters after the numbers. They are AB, AC & AD, is there a difference between them besides being lettered differently?

I purchased the AD. That forum link I sent you shows all possible TCM numbers available. So just go with cheapest that has proper part numbers at end.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
So, looking at all of the TCMs on eBay, every one of them say that they need to be reprogrammed. I'm assuming that is correct, or can it really be as simple as Plug 'n Play?