Swap Compilation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They probably mean flashed to update the VIN. Not a requirement in this case for it to work. I just did a TCM swap to my Magnum to fix transmission and autostick issues; I ended up putting the old stock one out of my Charger since it has a Mopar TCM.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Look what showed up in the mail today. And it was only $30 w/free shipping. I may have gotten it cheaper from a "You Pull" Junkyard, but it's already too damn hot outside. We went from a long winter (which doesn't bother me) to a blazing hot summer (I know it is not summer yet, but Indiana skipped spring)! I can't stand the heat and humidity. I would be fine with upper 50s to mid 60s during the day, and it doesn't bother me if it gets to the 20s at night.

But anyway, the TCM has a cracked fin, but I know that it does not alter the performance, so I'm good to go. Going to install it in the early morning before the heat of the day kicks in.20180526_210305.jpg 20180526_210245.jpg 20180526_210316.jpg 20180526_210343.jpg

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
05 combined PCM would be better all around for tuning purposes but a little harder to do.

This is going to read like I am stupid, but I forgot to ask this: I know what the ECM & TCM are, but what the hell is the PCM? Power Control Module? Or is it the ECM, just people call it differently?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This is going to read like I am stupid, but I forgot to ask this: I know what the ECM & TCM are, but what the hell is the PCM? Power Control Module? Or is it the ECM, just people call it a differently?

Basically. Just a different name for it. Dodge trucks normally refer to them as the pcm

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Basically. Just a different name for it. Dodge trucks normally refer to them as the pcm

I Bleed Ram Trucks

That's what I thought, but anymore with vehicles now, there could be at least 4 different computers in them. GM calls them ECM, and I'm sure Ford calls it something else. I'm just old school ECM Fuel Injected. This is totally a new venture to me. Being 47, one can never be too old to learn something new.

Thank you for replying

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is going to read like I am stupid, but I forgot to ask this: I know what the ECM & TCM are, but what the hell is the PCM? Power Control Module? Or is it the ECM, just people call it differently?

I Bleed Ram Trucks

That's what I thought, but anymore with vehicles now, there could be at least 4 different computers in them. GM calls them ECM, and I'm sure Ford calls it something else. I'm just old school ECM Fuel Injected. This is totally a new venture to me. Being 47, one can never be too old to learn something new.

Thank you for replying

Here's where it gets fun lol...the 02-03 Ram FSM calls it an ECM and TCM, as they are separate. Starting in 04 (since they combined the two) it's a PCM. Now with the LX's, they've always had separate modules, but from the get go it was always 'PCM' and 'TCM'. Same thing with the Dakota manual lol. No rhyme or reason.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Here's where it gets fun lol...the 02-03 Ram FSM calls it an ECM and TCM, as they are separate. Starting in 04 (since they combined the two) it's a PCM. Now with the LX's, they've always had separate modules, but from the get go it was always 'PCM' and 'TCM'. Same thing with the Dakota manual lol. No rhyme or reason.

Gee, thanks for adding to the confusion. Just when it all was starting to make a little sense. LOL

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
So another question that, I hope, my be answered before I head out to the junkyard this morning (they have 4 newly junked '04s). Will the 4.7 harness work on a Hemi?

And, as a reply to my earlier post on the price of the TCM if I got it from the junkyard. With tax it would have cost me about $5 more getting it at the junkyard.

Update: I can answer my own question after looking over the shop manuals. One could use the 4.7 harness, as long as it is from an '03 or '04. The '02 connectors are different, also starting with '05, the connectors are different from the '03/'04.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Okay, so depending on the outside temp this Saturday or Sunday, I may just pick up one of those '04 harness'. I may pick up more than one if the price won't kill me, to have as a backup or to offer it up for sale in the For Sale section of the Forum.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Alright, it's been over a year since I started this, hopefully someone will see this and have some information for me. It's not about my truck but my youngest son's truck.

A couple of months back, I bought him a beat up 2001 Dakota with a 4.7 in it. It turns out to be a bad deal as the transmission is almost toast now. I discovered about a month after buying it that which ever owner before us had cut off the Y pipe and cat. I thought it was just missing muffler, but to see a missing Y-pipe and cat? Don't they understand that vehicles newer than 95 lose power if the system is bypassed or removed? The engine runs rough and will die a few times while driving, but is strong when running. I am figuring it is a combination of missing front O2 sensor and Cat along with a possible fuel problem.

Anyway, back to the reason I am here again on my thread. We have a chance to get him an 02 1500 Ram Quad Cab, normal rust locations, pretty decent interior, (unwanted) 4x4 with a blown 5.9L engine. Transmission is "supposed" to be around 30k miles on a rebuild. For $600 on a Rebuilt/Salvage title. So, now the question on what can I do is kinda simple sounding to me but I need to make sure, which is why I am here.

Can I take the 4.7L engine and ECM/PCM/Wiring harness from the Dakota, changing the motor mounts and drop it into the Ram? Is it as straight forward as I am thinking it is? If it is still available in 2 weeks, we will be buying the Ram. So if I could get any information before then that would be very helpful to us.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can I take the 4.7L engine and ECM/PCM/Wiring harness from the Dakota, changing the motor mounts and drop it into the Ram? Is it as straight forward as I am thinking it is? If it is still available in 2 weeks, we will be buying the Ram. So if I could get any information before then that would be very helpful to us.

Change motor mounts, trans mount, exhaust, possibly accessory drive, since you say unwanted do you intend to unhook/do away with the 4x4? It would be more straightforward than a hemi swap, but the 4.7 and 5.9 use different engine control systems, you will need to figure out how that corresponds to the rest of the harness & truck

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Change motor mounts, trans mount, exhaust, possibly accessory drive, since you say unwanted do you intend to unhook/do away with the 4x4? It would be more straightforward than a hemi swap, but the 4.7 and 5.9 use different engine control systems, you will need to figure out how that corresponds to the rest of the harness & truck

A while back I downloaded all of those PDFs for the different years of Rams, I'm sure I can find one for the 01 Dakota and see what the layouts look like. I would like to get rid of the 4x4, but it's not a simple job of just removing the transfer case and getting rid of the front drive housing and replacing it with stock 2 wheel drive front end. So he will have to live with it. Besides, if something happens to the rear end and the front end is good, he would be able to still drive in 4WD until the rear end is replaced/repaired.

I wouldn't think that I would have to change the transmission mount since I'm not taking the Dakota's transmission, or the accessory drive since I wouldn't be using anything from the blown 5.9, but I did forget about the exhaust. Didn't even think that it was going to be different but I'm sure it is since you mentioned it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wouldn't think that I would have to change the transmission mount since I'm not taking the Dakota's transmission, or the accessory drive since I wouldn't be using anything from the blown 5.9, but I did forget about the exhaust. Didn't even think that it was going to be different but I'm sure it is since you mentioned it.

Either have to use the 4.7 with the 45RFE or 5.9 with the 46RE; different transmissions.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
No, it won't. The Dakota's transmission is going out so that's not an option. Either going to have to find a 5.9 motor and I don't know if the 2nd gens will work in the 3rd gen. Or pray that I get a hold of a junkyard transmission that is in good shape.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, it won't. The Dakota's transmission is going out so that's not an option. Either going to have to find a 5.9 motor and I don't know if the 2nd gens will work in the 3rd gen. Or pray that I get a hold of a junkyard transmission that is in good shape.

car-part.com
Might be able to get him to part with the trans:https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/d/indianapolis-05-dodge-dakota-47l-motor/6946812720.html
https://terrehaute.craigslist.org/ptd/d/2003-dodge-4x4-crew-cab-parts/6942183210.html
Ebay always has stuff. Try car-part.com first though, found my last trans in there, 24,000 original mile RFE.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
I forgot all about car-part.com. It's been years since I last used it. Thank you for reminding me of that site. I'll give it a try.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why won't the 4.7 Bolt up to the 5.9 Trans ?....are they both Gas Engines?

I don't think its as much "won't physically bolt up", though if I recall correctly the 4.7 is like the hemi with a flywheel bolted to the crank and the last 360 I had just a flexplate; some kind of spacer/adpater would be needed (so it isn't just a straight bolt up). 4.7 PCM (and for an 01 setup should have a separate TCM) isn't designed to run that trans, and vice versa on the 360 setup.