swap my 66RFE for a G56....cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm so excited, got confirmation today that the clutch and everything all bolts up. So everything is moving alone. Also the tuning or programming of the truck is coming alone too. I think the next issue will be what to do with the driveshaft which can't be done until the G56 is bolted and re-positioned with the transfer case. :cheers::driver::favorites37::happy107:

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So for the driveshaft I have ideas, but can not find technical dimensions of the 66RFE vs the G56. I need to know the difference in length for my idea, so I was wondering if anyone can help out. I can not find or not sure how to find out.
I "think" (do not know) that it will be expensive to to have a drive shaft lengthened and balanced so instead of dishing out that cash. Lets put that money into something more useful...:Big Laugh:
So that big idea is an under-drive or AKA strongbox (check this out https://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/pages/strongbox-specifications ) to fit between the G56 and the BW 44-47.
Problem is to find splines that match the input and outputs. So far it's not looking good and by the price I'm not sure which way is more expensive. I also looked here to.. https://northwestfab.com/collections/ford-np205/products/blackbox-standard-1?variant=43246802075811 There are others but do not have the selection like these two do.

So if anybody has inputs please post your thoughts or experience :driver:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So for the driveshaft I have ideas, but can not find technical dimensions of the 66RFE vs the G56. I need to know the difference in length for my idea, so I was wondering if anyone can help out. I can not find or not sure how to find out.
I "think" (do not know) that it will be expensive to to have a drive shaft lengthened and balanced so instead of dishing out that cash. Lets put that money into something more useful...:Big Laugh:
So that big idea is an under-drive or AKA strongbox (check this out https://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/pages/strongbox-specifications ) to fit between the G56 and the BW 44-47.
Problem is to find splines that match the input and outputs. So far it's not looking good and by the price I'm not sure which way is more expensive. I also looked here to.. https://northwestfab.com/collections/ford-np205/products/blackbox-standard-1?variant=43246802075811 There are others but do not have the selection like these two do.

So if anybody has inputs please post your thoughts or experience :driver:
Looks to me like a custom made driveshaft would probably be cheaper, no?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think so, but still have questions about pinion angle, which may not be an issue depending on length difference.
If it needs to be longer, the pinion angle will only get better. Regardless, you can always play around with pinion angle.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From my research on the 66RFE I came across a good point made on them. This case started out as a 4 speed, then a 5 speed and lastly a 6 speed with barely any changes to the case. The opinion is that as the speeds increased the parts became less substantial and prone to failure easier. So I think this has some weight behind it. What say anyone else?

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to see this is still on-going! Sorry for such a long break but I was doing training there in Texas and it required all my time. Sadly, I had to abandon the swap and just get my auto rebuilt so I could get moving back to Alaska. It works great now but I would still have rather had this done, especially considering it was 10k just to get a factory rebuilt transmission. Oh well :(

Maybe this will still be an option in the future. I’ll be around if I can help anyone but it seems black gold is further along than I ever got! Can’t wait to see how it plays out!

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad to see this is still on-going! Sorry for such a long break but I was doing training there in Texas and it required all my time. Sadly, I had to abandon the swap and just get my auto rebuilt so I could get moving back to Alaska. It works great now but I would still have rather had this done, especially considering it was 10k just to get a factory rebuilt transmission. Oh well :(

Maybe this will still be an option in the future. I’ll be around if I can help anyone but it seems black gold is further along than I ever got! Can’t wait to see how it plays out!
Good to here from you @907powerwagon :cool: A factory tranny cost 10 grad .. ouch my second last rebuild cost 4 grad and the last one cost 6 grad so I'm no further ahead.
I was wondering if maybe you could help me with this research if you have time, this is from a post above... "So for the driveshaft I have ideas, but can not find technical dimensions of the 66RFE vs the G56. I need to know the difference in length for my idea, so I was wondering if anyone can help out. I can not find or not sure how to find out." So basically I'm trying to see if a strongbox will fit between the G56 and BW 44-47 to make up for the shorted length of the driveshaft. What this will do is give me an extra 2:1 on top of the 2.64:1 in the 44-47. So with first gear in 4 low+ I'll have somewhere around 33:1 (don't touch the gas mode) like I had in my 1980 PW. Stump puling, part breaking mode :driver:

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm interesting idea. I can definitely measure the 66rfe but I doubt that’ll help much since I’m sure you can do that as well. If I remember correctly, I thought there was only about an inch maybe inch and a half difference with the g56 being slightly longer. I only looked into it because I was making sure the rear driveshaft was still an appropriate length once the g56 was attached. But honestly, you could add the box and just get new driveshafts made. Can probably lengthen/shorten yours to make it work. Can’t imagine it would be too costly.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's the problem I can't measure something that is 500 miles away. But I would imagine my son's 65RFE in his 1500 is the same length..just there is no G56 around here that I know of.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I measured my driveshaft and mine is 65 and 5/8 inches from center of u joint to center of u joint. That's on a 16 2500 crew cab with 6.5' bed and 6.4 hemi. I measured by myself which was kind of a pain in the **** so it might be a hair longer or shorter.

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh shoot sorry I didn’t realize the truck wasn’t near you. I can definitely pull mine in the garage tomorrow and measure the tranny length if you think that’ll help you.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh shoot sorry I didn’t realize the truck wasn’t near you. I can definitely pull mine in the garage tomorrow and measure the tranny length if you think that’ll help you.
That would be much appreciated the measurement of the driveshaft from White six four helps too. Which made me think that finding a drive shaft from a 3500 chassis cab might be an option but still means that the cross-member/transfer-case still need to reposition. The main thought behind an under-drive is to see if adding one would keep my cross-member and transfer case in it's place plus add a very low crawling gear ratio.

Kuhndog970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Man I'm still curious about this adapter situation. Your guy never sent any photos or anything? Who made it?

I never looked at the parts list you put up until today. That is a cummins clutch kit. The hemi g56 and cummins g56 use different diameter input shafts. So you must be using a cummins g56 and adapting the cummins bellhousing to the 6.4? I thought this was a hemi g56.also curious why a flex plate is listed considering a manual doesn't use one.

Last edited:

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Man I'm still curious about this adapter situation. Your guy never sent any photos or anything? Who made it?

I never looked at the parts list you put up until today. That is a cummins clutch kit. The hemi g56 and cummins g56 use different diameter input shafts. So you must be using a cummins g56 and adapting the cummins bellhousing to the 6.4? I thought this was a hemi g56.also curious why a flex plate is listed considering a manual doesn't use one.
No, the G56 is a G56 but bell housing and input shafts are different, also the parts between the engine block and tranny are different to a Cummins too. I got the parts list from Ram chassis cabs were the G56 was offered behind a 6.4... but that 6.4 in the chassis cab is not a MDS engine so the cam and valve trains parts are different, also the tune is different too. The chassis cab 6.4 trucks only had a claimed 370 HP not the 410 in mine.

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That would be much appreciated the measurement of the driveshaft from White six four helps too. Which made me think that finding a drive shaft from a 3500 chassis cab might be an option but still means that the cross-member/transfer-case still need to reposition. The main thought behind an under-drive is to see if adding one would keep my cross-member and transfer case in it's place plus add a very low crawling gear ratio.

alright so ive go a measurement on the transmission itself. from the front of the bellhousing to where the t case fits up shows 27". sorry for the delay. Im bad at checking in haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye