swap my 66RFE for a G56....cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please give us a delightful insight about diablo.. and or vs HP

They both work as intended. But for trans tuning there's a reason SGA uses HP Tuners. ;)

You cant even do what I just showed you from home with my print screen with Diablo ... lol.. So if you like waiting on email tunes for the slightest adjustment go right ahead and use Diablo.

And HP is so much more fun to play with. :p

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They both work as intended. But for trans tuning there's a reason SGA uses HP Tuners. ;)

You cant even do what I just showed you from home with my print screen with Diablo ... lol.. So if you like waiting on email tunes for the slightest adjustment go right ahead and use Diablo.

Thanks .. I like that vote.. after all the reading etc.. there's really no other choice

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sounds like I’ll be using HP then! Thanks for the insight!

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of you guys know of any places to find a potential g56 core? I’ve been looking through junkyards, car-part, Facebook, etc., just haven’t had a lot of luck. I can find the remanned g56 for both hemi and Cummins applications but since lazar is going to pull it apart anyways for the input shaft (assuming I stick with that option vs just the hemi g56) I really only need a used one or even a broken one would work lol.

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Additionally, for consideration of just using the hemi g56 from the 03-08 trucks, I came across this clutch setup after some reading of other forums. It’s better than the stock clutch and claims 641 ft lbs for torque. I’ll never exceed that from what I can reckon. Adds a point to the score for the factory hemi g56 vs the Cummins input shaft version. Food for thought.

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So HP is just the software portion of it correct? Is there a preferred hardware to use? I assume you need a computer program and then a flashing tool to plug into the truck to load it so I was curious on whats good out there right now. Thanks!

Edit: After reading for an entire 5 minutes I see that you download the VCM program and then use the MPVI3 to actually read the parameter lol.

Last edited:

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing yet. Just trying to source some parts and figure out which path I want to take (stock hemi G56 from a 3rd gen vs rebuilt g56 cummins from Lazar smith) Going to pull the ECU from the truck soon and send it in to get unlocked. When I get it back ill use the HP tuning to double check the options and make sure that the manual option is available.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you go with a stock G56 I would recommend a 2005-07 due to it's gears or if you want more street then truck manners then go with the 2007.5 on version
Screenshot_20221214_201623_Chrome.jpg
The part that interests me is the low reverse along withe the low 1st.. looks like the later would do better on highway too.

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go with a stock G56 I would recommend a 2005-07 due to it's gears or if you want more street then truck manners then go with the 2007.5 on version
View attachment 508957
The part that interests me is the low reverse along withe the low 1st.. looks like the later would do better on highway too.
Im going to go with the cummins rebuilt tranny with the hemi bellhousing from Lazar smith. He has a lot of the other little things i would need for the swap and has been a lot of help. I decided on the 'AE' model g56 which will have the slightly lower RPM on the highway. The gear ratios on the G56 are already better than the auto and im not doing any rock crawling so itll be plenty good. Looking forward to that 1st gear crawl though lol.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
View attachment 508957
The fact that 5th is 1:1 will be night and day difference over the auto.

Props to those that undertake this challenge.

Kuhndog970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not sure what has been found on the tuning side of things, but Jay Greene at Greene Racing just told me he could do the tuning for this swap. I'm looking at doing a g56 swap on my 17 Power Wagon. Most things should be easy mechanically. 5.7 clutch from south bend, gas truck G56, possibly a different t case (but I need to look into that that a bit more), 4th gen clutch master and pedal assembly, 4th gen crossmember, and driveshafts made. Should be about it and then whatever needs done on the tuning side of course. It all seems fairly straight forward if you ask me. Time for me to go parts hunting.

Nicholasnelsonnm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after reading this thread this is definitely something I am interested in. Let me just make sure I got everything here.
1. G56 out of 5.7 between 03-07.
2. PCM unlock
3. HP tuner- to program PCM
4. Stock T-case should work?
5. Re-lengthen drive shafts.
6. PW center counsel should already work.
7. Clutch assembly from a 5.7 pickup
8. Alpha OBD to prgram Body Computer and RF hub. To enable reverse lights, backup camras and start buttons or key.
9. Possibly a new RF hub?

Please let me know if there is anything more. I watched a vid on a cummins guy doing this and it looked like a lot of wireing. Would like to keep this thread going. Hopefully someone will provide a detailed installation.

Kuhndog970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What is an RFhub? I'm not sure about the bcm needing any adjustments. I haven't seen that. Greene told me that all he has to do is enable a manual trans in the file. I'm waiting for some clarification on that but I think the timing is that simple. As far as your master cylinder, are you in a 4th grn truck? If that's the case I would think the 6.7 cummins master cylinder kit would be the way to go

Kuhndog970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ok so looking into the t case situation I see that cummins trucks after Jan 2012 have the bw44-47. Is this true? When my neighbor gets home I'm going to scoot under her truck and see what's in there. That truck is a 68rfe but both auto and manual share a t case so that should give me a better idea. There is no way this hasn't been done before right? It seems way to straight for to me.

Nicholasnelsonnm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is an RFhub? I'm not sure about the bcm needing any adjustments. I haven't seen that. Greene told me that all he has to do is enable a manual trans in the file. I'm waiting for some clarification on that but I think the timing is that simple. As far as your master cylinder, are you in a 4th grn truck? If that's the case I would think the 6.7 cummins master cylinder kit would be the way to go
From watching the 68RFE guys do this swap, they are having to get into the body computer to enable the back up lights and cameras to work with the new trans revers signal. The RF hub is for remote starting and a new fob. I personally don't have that issue as i have a turn key already with a tradesmen PW. Remote start would be nice, but I am sure that gets complicated. The other thing i read is that you will likely need to disable MDS, that should be essay if you have the tuner. The car guys say its necessary as part of the swap or the truck will stall all the time. I cant wait to see someone successfully complete this.