Swapped 2017 Big Horn 2WD V6 for 2018 Big Horn 4WD HEMI!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Blue 2017 Ram 1500. I bought it new in May of 2018. It was one of 2 2017 still on the lot. I got a smoking deal on it. But deep down, I wanted a Hemi and 4WD. But at the time even the used trucks they had were more than the new 2017.

But a few weeks ago, I saw one. I'm not perfectly happy with the deal I got...I was a little too eager to buy this truck. It's metallic gray which is my color. It's also a Big Horn, but this one has heated cloth seats and a heated steering wheel. Big plus for me and the wife likes the heated seats. It was a year newer with 10k less miles that mine. It has Android Auto and Apple Car Play which the 2017 didn't. Plus it's got that Hemi SOUND! And if I keep my foot out of it, gets pretty good gas mileage. Speaking of Android Auto...it took me about 5 hours total to get my phone to hook up. I tried different cables, ports in the console, and developer settings in Android. Just about when I was ready to chunk it, it suddenly connected and has worked ever since. :doh2:

Almost immediately, I had to start my mods. I got a dual liner first. It's plastic front and sides with a big thick rubber mat on the bottom that kind of snaps into the sides. I like it a LOT better than the Mopar drop in the 17 had. Stuff doesn't slide around nearly as much. On the 17 I had a Bak Flip. I was going to order another, but couldn't stomach the price. I was looking around and saw a cover called a Gator Cover that looks EXACTLY like the BakFlip, but it was a lot cheaper. I installed it and I would say they are made somewhere by the same company as the BakFlip. They are identical execpt the part over the tailgate has a different seal and you can close the tailgate with the last panel down and latched, unlike the BakFlip.

One thing I couldn't stand on the 17 or the 18 are the sorry ass stock headlights. I upgraded to some factory take off projectors with LEDS ont the 17 and just installed some factory take offs with HID upgrade on the 18. Not too bad of an install and I LOVE them. I can see at night. I also put in some 5k fog lights to match.

I think my next upgrade is a 1.5" leveling spacer up front. This thing has so much rake it looks like a 2wd.

IMG_20200827_174510.jpg IMG_20200827_174505.jpg IMG_20201015_200600.jpg IMG_20201015_211202.jpg IMG_20200830_174020.jpg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Congrats on a sweet truck!
Welcome to the MGM club.
(mineral gray metallic ;))

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice......I have a 2018 4x4 Big Horn with Hemi and love it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nice!

Yes, used values are insane these days. You get a lot for your trade, but you need it for what you're buying.

I went from a 2017 with a pentastar to a 2019 with a hemi back in July. Not really for the hemi, but for the crew cab.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nice!

Yes, used values are insane these days. You get a lot for your trade, but you need it for what you're buying.

I went from a 2017 with a pentastar to a 2019 with a hemi back in July. Not really for the hemi, but for the crew cab.
But you gotta admit the hemi doesn't suck.
:cheers:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I had a Blue 2017 Ram 1500. I bought it new in May of 2018. It was one of 2 2017 still on the lot. I got a smoking deal on it. But deep down, I wanted a Hemi and 4WD. But at the time even the used trucks they had were more than the new 2017.

But a few weeks ago, I saw one. I'm not perfectly happy with the deal I got...I was a little too eager to buy this truck. It's metallic gray which is my color. It's also a Big Horn, but this one has heated cloth seats and a heated steering wheel. Big plus for me and the wife likes the heated seats. It was a year newer with 10k less miles that mine. It has Android Auto and Apple Car Play which the 2017 didn't. Plus it's got that Hemi SOUND! And if I keep my foot out of it, gets pretty good gas mileage. Speaking of Android Auto...it took me about 5 hours total to get my phone to hook up. I tried different cables, ports in the console, and developer settings in Android. Just about when I was ready to chunk it, it suddenly connected and has worked ever since. :doh2:

Almost immediately, I had to start my mods. I got a dual liner first. It's plastic front and sides with a big thick rubber mat on the bottom that kind of snaps into the sides. I like it a LOT better than the Mopar drop in the 17 had. Stuff doesn't slide around nearly as much. On the 17 I had a Bak Flip. I was going to order another, but couldn't stomach the price. I was looking around and saw a cover called a Gator Cover that looks EXACTLY like the BakFlip, but it was a lot cheaper. I installed it and I would say they are made somewhere by the same company as the BakFlip. They are identical execpt the part over the tailgate has a different seal and you can close the tailgate with the last panel down and latched, unlike the BakFlip.

One thing I couldn't stand on the 17 or the 18 are the sorry ass stock headlights. I upgraded to some factory take off projectors with LEDS ont the 17 and just installed some factory take offs with HID upgrade on the 18. Not too bad of an install and I LOVE them. I can see at night. I also put in some 5k fog lights to match.

I think my next upgrade is a 1.5" leveling spacer up front. This thing has so much rake it looks like a 2wd.

View attachment 224789 View attachment 224790 View attachment 224791 View attachment 224792 View attachment 224793

Damn it this thread is click bate! I was thinking we had the V6 to V8 swap and 2wd to 4x4 swap. .. :fc5716bd: