Swapping a 5.2 for a 5.9?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here what I have , 2 ram 1500 2wd sb. Both trucks are 1998 model years. One is a 5 speed tranny behind the 5.2. The other is a 5.9 behind an automatic tranny. I have read that I will need a new flywheel for the 5.9 in order to make it work with a 5 speed tranny. I,m assuming that all the engine wiring will work no problem? Is there anything else that I,m going to need? This should be a pretty straight forward swap, I think. Oh and where can I source a flywheel? Thanks for all your experience.

OP
OP
J

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention the the 5 speed has a newer clutch and pressure plate, will these work with the new 5.9 flywheel. Thanks .

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much. My brother and I just swapped a 5.9 for a 5.2. yeah, I know, we went the wrong way, but we went by what was written on the label on the cross member by the radiator. After swapping in the 5.2, the vibrations were terrible. Come to find out, the 5.9 has an externally balanced flywheel, so we had to back the trans out and swap in the 5.2 flywheel. Truck runs great now. The flywheels had the same bolt patter so you shouldn't have any issues there.

We had no issues with the wiring, but if you're swapping the trans too, there maybe be some.

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
So you are saying I can use the 5.2 flywheel on the the 5.9?

The 5.2 is internally balanced and needs a neutral 5.2 flywheel. The 5.9 is externally balanced and needs the weighted 5.9 flywheel.

Unless you do what I did, put in an internally balanced rotating assembly in the 5.9, then use the 5.2 neutral flywheel.