Swapping Form 3.92 Gears to 3.55 Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I got my son a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for his first truck a couple of years ago. The engine, radiator, and all belts, hoses, etc., under the hood were replaced before I put the keys in his hand. While driving down the road this past Sunday, his truck stopped. Turns out, the rear end went out. The mechanic said it would save $500 to replace the 3.92's with 3.55's but said the MPH will be off a little. If anyone has done this, can y'all tell me the difference in MPH (and perhaps performance) you noticed, if any?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ditto 3.55s are great all around gears, but if you have 3.92, you will notice it.
^^I second this reply^^ I wish the
3.55 ratio was offered with the Hemi because that would've been what I bought. Swapping the gears or entire differential isnt a big deal but if it is a 4x4 truck you will have to do the front differential too

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I got my son a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for his first truck a couple of years ago. The engine, radiator, and all belts, hoses, etc., under the hood were replaced before I put the keys in his hand. While driving down the road this past Sunday, his truck stopped. Turns out, the rear end went out. The mechanic said it would save $500 to replace the 3.92's with 3.55's but said the MPH will be off a little. If anyone has done this, can y'all tell me the difference in MPH (and perhaps performance) you noticed, if any?
I'm not sure why your mechanic is telling you there is such a large price difference between the gear ratios.

I buy the 3.55 ring and pinion for the same price as the 3.92 ring and pinion. The biggest difference in price is whether you have a limited slip diff. or an open diff.

If you shop around for the best price you can get a limited slip aka Trak-Lok differential for under $400. Even the Dana Spicer Trak-Lok is only $342 from Summit Racing and a 3.92 gear set from Motive Gear is $254 and can be purchased from Summit Racing.

There are better prices to be had with some Google-fu and some handy interwebs shopping. I build these things quite often and the only difference in price for my customers is whether or not the truck has a limited slip.

Also, you will notice the performance loss going from a 3.92 gear to a 3.55. The RPM difference running down the highway is about 300rpm in 4th gear.

If for some reason you do decide to go with the 3.55's, which I wouldn't, the speedometer can be corrected with a proper scan tool. If you can locate a dealer who still has a working DRB-3 or a proper working DRB-3 emulator available with the WiTech 1.0 application, they can do it.

If not, a Snap-On, MAC/OTC scan tool can do the job. The adjustment needs to be made in the ABS Module. What needs to be changed is called the "Pinion Factor". You will need to ask the shop if they know how to adjust the pinion factor if you do change from 3.92's to 3.55's.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
RWD, my apologies.
It will take off and accelerate slower, especially with the lesser V8's (or V6, you didn't say). Honestly a 3rd gen 1500 weighs about 5300 lbs and needs all the mechanical advantage it can get. Your around town mileage will probably suck a bit more but highway mileage will probably improve and it will reduce towing capacity. But at least you wouldn't have to pay to have the fronts to match.

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
It will take off and accelerate slower, especially with the lesser V8's (or V6, you didn't say). Honestly a 3rd gen 1500 weighs about 5300 lbs and needs all the mechanical advantage it can get. Your around town mileage will probably suck a bit more but highway mileage will probably improve and it will reduce towing capacity. But at least you wouldn't have to pay to have the fronts to match.

There's a 4.7L V8 in it with about 7,000 miles on the engine now. I don't mind it being slower at all since my 19 year old is driving it. He wants to get a newer truck so I'll take this one back and hand it down to his brother in 6 months to a year which means being slower is even better lol.