Swapping tow mirrors for Power Folding mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well gys wish me luck.i decided to bite the bullet and bought the fold up mirror like you all did.there nothing fancy.1 thing i want it to do is fold!let you know when they arrive!

jason251

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would any of you know where I can get tow mirrors for my 19 big horn black package? I know i'm going the opposite direction that most of you are going.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jason 251

You can have my tow mirrors when I make the change, probably be a couple of weeks, work and weather have prevented me from making the change so far.

Mine are the chrome ones with black covers I put on them.

You pay the shipping, and they are yours.

jason251

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jason 251

You can have my tow mirrors when I make the change, probably be a couple of weeks, work and weather have prevented me from making the change so far.

Mine are the chrome ones with black covers I put on them.

You pay the shipping, and they are yours.
You serious Clark? That's awesome. Let me know when you get them and we'll figure something out. Appreciate it.

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update on the check engine light that I was receiving.... it came back!

I went to a local auto parts store for a reading, it appears to be coming from the fuel vapor re-circulation system. So.... I'll add that to the growing list of things that I need to return this truck to the dealer for.

On a positive note, I'm glad it wasn't related to the mirrors or controllers.. they are working fine.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I got the mirrors and other hardware in several weeks ago, and finally took the time before the Superbowl today to install them. Things are very straightforward, but there are a few tips you may want to know if you're changing out the manual fold mirrors for the power folds.....

1. You don't have to completely remove the door panel, or the panel around the window frame. Just let the door panel hang on the door latch cable... you'll need to disconnect a few connectors from the door. On the plastic panel that surrounds the window, you just need to remove the front portion, giving yourself enough room to remove the mirror bolts and fish the cables through the hole in the door.

2. The Security Gateway module... its located up under the dash, near the parking brake cable, with the connectors pushing up towards the top of the dash. Its almost impossible to see what you're doing in there, but much easier if you remove a dash panel (simple pop out) and the panel holding the emergency brake switch (2 screws). Just pull the 2 connectors out of the module, and plug those connectors into the security bypass module from Z automotive. You'll see an orange pull cord when you pop off the first cover... I assume that's a manual parking brake release, but I don't have a clue.

It takes a pretty good tug to get the door panels removed. Don't be shy, just start at the bottom of the door and pull hard... it comes off pretty easy once you get it started.

That's about it... the process is very simple, with the exception of getting to those bypass module connectors. PM me if you have any questions!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
where does the "OBD genie" comes into play ??o_O

The Genie sets the various options in the truck's computer (The BCM) to allow the turn signals, puddle lights, power fold and tow mirror adjustments to work. Or, you can spend about 1/3 the price of the Genie and get a copy of AlphaOBD and an OBD-MX dongle and do the mirrors plus many other options/upgrades.

-K

Last edited:

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Genie sets the various options in the truck's computer (The BCM) to allow the turn signals, puddle lights, power fold and tow mirror adjustments work. Or, you can spend about 1/3 the price of the Genie and get a copy of AlphaOBD and an OBD-MX dongle and do the mirrors plus many other options/upgrades.

-K
:waytogo:

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to install tow mirrors... got any?

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I got the mirrors and other hardware in several weeks ago, and finally took the time before the Superbowl today to install them. Things are very straightforward, but there are a few tips you may want to know if you're changing out the manual fold mirrors for the power folds.....

1. You don't have to completely remove the door panel, or the panel around the window frame. Just let the door panel hang on the door latch cable... you'll need to disconnect a few connectors from the door. On the plastic panel that surrounds the window, you just need to remove the front portion, giving yourself enough room to remove the mirror bolts and fish the cables through the hole in the door.

2. The Security Gateway module... its located up under the dash, near the parking brake cable, with the connectors pushing up towards the top of the dash. Its almost impossible to see what you're doing in there, but much easier if you remove a dash panel (simple pop out) and the panel holding the emergency brake switch (2 screws). Just pull the 2 connectors out of the module, and plug those connectors into the security bypass module from Z automotive. You'll see an orange pull cord when you pop off the first cover... I assume that's a manual parking brake release, but I don't have a clue.

It takes a pretty good tug to get the door panels removed. Don't be shy, just start at the bottom of the door and pull hard... it comes off pretty easy once you get it started.

That's about it... the process is very simple, with the exception of getting to those bypass module connectors. PM me if you have any questions!

i to have pulled out those 2 connectors but they gave me alittle black "dummy" box to plug those to loose connector.i just left them in there did you?

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you leave the "dummy box" in there, then your system's security will be bypassed forever. I don't know if that would create a "check engine" situation or not. I took my module out and plugged the connectors back into the original block.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If you leave the "dummy box" in there, then your system's security will be bypassed forever. I don't know if that would create a "check engine" situation or not. I took my module out and plugged the connectors back into the original block.

just wanted to say i finally got to plug them back in.with such a busy schedule and large amount of bad weather. here's a how to if anyone wants to know whats all involved on the wiring underneath,sorry for the filming but its hard in a cramp quarter and with one hand so bear with me

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, it's a cozy fit. I didn't pull the dash panel off, but that's probably a good idea. Looks like FMC did a crappy job of spot welding that bracket!