Sway and Level on Enclosed Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snow Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for suggestions to help improve towing a new trailer I purchased. The trailer is a 7x14 enclosed trailer I mostly use to haul my side by side. I think I created most of the problem myself but maybe there are some accessories I can add to help fix it. I get a good amount of sway on windy days. The trailer is pretty tall so that doesn't surprise me. I think I've also made it worse by parking the SxS at the very rear of the trailer so I'm probably a little light on the tongue. SxS is about 11' long so the front wheels are at the entry door but I believe most of the weight is in the rear. The trailer sits pretty low as well. I have a 4" drop hitch that has the tongue a little high but fairly close to level. When I go camping I will load up gear in the front of the trailer to get a little more tongue weight, but would like to see if I can reduce the sway while I just have the side by side or even when the trailer is empty. I could back the SxS in, but already have etrack mounted to the floor where I have enough room to get out once in the trailer and would prefer not to redo it all. See photo below. I believe this was with SxS loaded.

View attachment 493316
Here is an interesting Youtube video of the importance of tongue weight, etc.

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for all the comments. I ordered a 6" drop hitch so I will try it out this week. Going camping but the SxS is at the dealer so may or may not have it for this weekend. If the 6" still isn't level I will look at an adjustable hitch, but I bet it does the trick.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Looking for suggestions to help improve towing a new trailer I purchased. The trailer is a 7x14 enclosed trailer I mostly use to haul my side by side. I think I created most of the problem myself but maybe there are some accessories I can add to help fix it. I get a good amount of sway on windy days. The trailer is pretty tall so that doesn't surprise me. I think I've also made it worse by parking the SxS at the very rear of the trailer so I'm probably a little light on the tongue. SxS is about 11' long so the front wheels are at the entry door but I believe most of the weight is in the rear. The trailer sits pretty low as well. I have a 4" drop hitch that has the tongue a little high but fairly close to level. When I go camping I will load up gear in the front of the trailer to get a little more tongue weight, but would like to see if I can reduce the sway while I just have the side by side or even when the trailer is empty. I could back the SxS in, but already have etrack mounted to the floor where I have enough room to get out once in the trailer and would prefer not to redo it all. See photo below. I believe this was with SxS loaded.

View attachment 493316
In the picture you are not level, front higher than rear. You almost certainly do not have enough have enough weight on the tongue.
Need to get more weight up front. Sway bars will help. Once you fix the weight problem. An empty trailer like yours is always going to sway in a wind. I've pulled an RV trailer for tens of thousands of miles and see many of them, and trailers like yours not level. As others below say, get weight forward, you will not overload the tongue.

View attachment 493316

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the other guys. Not enough tongue weight. As it's been said move the SxS forward, level the trailer or slightly nose down, and don't sweat the tires if they are in good shape.

I tow my 29' travel trailer on stock SRA's with no issues at all. Granted I have a top of the line wd/ anti-sway hitch that allows me to dial in my weight distribution perfectly but I don't have any tire squirm either. I don't think my hitch would stop that.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like everyone has said you need to load it backwards, or put ballast in the front but that will put even more load on you truck.
Have you thought about a small winch on the floor and just winch it in backwards.

You have to get the SS's engine weigh on top of or in front of those axles, or you will always be at the mercy of the wind and other large vehicles when at speed.

Sway control only controls for excess when it is properly setup. It will not counter in proper trailer balance issues, which is what you are facing.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Load Index is a number like he stated. 115 load index is 2679 lbs. that the tire can carry.

The different load rating (C, D, E, XL, SL) is where the load index falls into.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6

View attachment 493316
Be sure you have E-rated tires and not the POS passenger ones supplied. Some Bilsteins would work wonders as well as shifting the weight forward.

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tongue weight needs to be 10 to 15% of the gross trailer weight. I doesn't matter how you get there move the SxS load it backward or add something to the front of the trailer to ass weight. Maybe have 2 tie down positions for the SxS one farther forward by itself and and another wirh the camping gear. Bit you've got to get to at least 10%. everything else is band aids and may work sometimes until it doesn't.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tongue weight needs to be 10 to 15% of the gross trailer weight. I doesn't matter how you get there move the SxS load it backward or add something to the front of the trailer to ass weight. Maybe have 2 tie down positions for the SxS one farther forward by itself and and another wirh the camping gear. Bit you've got to get to at least 10%. everything else is band aids and may work sometimes until it doesn't.
Exactly right!

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 493316
Drop your hitch 2-3 inches

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't push the SXS all the way up front. You'll have too much tongue weight. Make the trailer more level, slightly nose down if not level. Adjust SXS back and forth to where your truck sits level. Then your in the ballpark. Remember the limit on the tongue is 500 lbs. Buy or borrow a tongue scale but if your truck isn't sacked out, again, your in the ballpark.
If this trailer is on a bumper mount ball then you are correct at tongue weight of 500#.
OP says he has the potential for a drop mount I think.
That' would be a frame mount class 4 hitch rated to about a 1100# tongue load.
He needs a lower than 6" drop ball then go from there with weight distribution.
My truck is running with a 10" drop because I need to.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta throw my $.02 in here...I've got a lot of experience with a very similar trailer and weights, towed it with everything from a 4Runner up to a 2500CTD, currently towing with my 1500. I will argue all day long that your tires are just fine for this load. Also, achieving level is clearly secondary to getting your load balanced. Redo your etrack install, or better yet, just add more. Speaking from many years of owning such a trailer, believe me, you will find additional uses for this trailer over time and the extra etrack will be very welcome. My first step would be backing the SxS in.

to be clear, I'm not saying heavier duty tires and/or getting it level won't help...both will, but your main issue is getting that weight forward.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Gotta throw my $.02 in here...I've got a lot of experience with a very similar trailer and weights, towed it with everything from a 4Runner up to a 2500CTD, currently towing with my 1500. I will argue all day long that your tires are just fine for this load. Also, achieving level is clearly secondary to getting your load balanced. Redo your etrack install, or better yet, just add more. Speaking from many years of owning such a trailer, believe me, you will find additional uses for this trailer over time and the extra etrack will be very welcome. My first step would be backing the SxS in.

to be clear, I'm not saying heavier duty tires and/or getting it level won't help...both will, but your main issue is getting that weight forward.

Heavier duty tires aren't going to make much change - they may help but only marginally.

As for level and weight loading...they kind of go hand-in-hand when fighting sway. A trailer that isn't level isn't putting weight on the tongue like it should, and requires you to have the load further forward to get into the 10-15% range than if the same trailer was level thanks to trigonometry.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heavier duty tires aren't going to make much change - they may help but only marginally.

As for level and weight loading...they kind of go hand-in-hand when fighting sway. A trailer that isn't level isn't putting weight on the tongue like it should, and requires you to have the load further forward to get into the 10-15% range than if the same trailer was level thanks to trigonometry.
Yep, you're right. My point should have been made more clearly...In my experience with these light trailers it's best to try to find the ideal weight balance and let being level stay secondary to that. Generally speaking, get the weight right and level will follow. The reason I say all this is that we loaded my cargo trailer with 4 race bikes, gear toolboxes, coolers etc etc, it was perfectly level, and it towed horribly. We realized that the weight was loaded towards the front and the rear, so at the rest stop along the highway we damn near completely unloaded and reloaded with as much weight above and forward of trailer axles, and put the lighter gear at the front and back. It was mostly level but towed WAY better. Again, just my personal experience with a similar trailer.

ifrroadguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I got to pick up the SxS from the dealer today so i got to try out the 6" drop hitch. Trailer sits much more level and drives great. I was also able to pull the SxS up about a foot from where i had it before to get more weight up front. The trailer drove great and was a much smoother ride. I will try to move weight around a bit more but it's in a much better place.20220521_155512.jpg

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I got to pick up the SxS from the dealer today so i got to try out the 6" drop hitch. Trailer sits much more level and drives great. I was also able to pull the SxS up about a foot from where i had it before to get more weight up front. The trailer drove great and was a much smoother ride. I will try to move weight around a bit more but it's in a much better place.View attachment 493794
That looks MUCH better, and glad to hear that it's pulling better too now that the weight is where it should be.