swinging oil pump pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
Its full blow riding season here for a while till the temps get to high.
I had bought a parts truck a month ago, a low milage 1987 W150 318, automatic, short bed. I cut the roof off it to fix my truck. It was a real shame to cut up a decent truck. But I had run out of options.
Anyway it had a 318 truck engine showing 52K miles. I talked with the owner, he had bought the truck new. I just got around to pulling the engine, pulled it apart. Found it had been apart once before and rebuilt. So I'm questioning the mileage. Found it had been bored out, a plus I think. Its 0.030 over with stock looking flat top pistons. The heads looked stock. I pulled the camshaft and found the first journal was galled. From high heat ? lack of oil, I couldn't check oil pressure the engine wasn't complete. There was no signs of pitting on the cam anywhere. So I continued to pull it apart. Dropped the pan and found a swinging oil pump pickup tube. This thing was hanging by a thread, who ever rebuilt the engine didn't make sure the pickup was tight. I still add a tack weld if I have doudts. But this engine was so close to going without oil. But slowly eating its self up with a oil pressure issue. I'm willing to bet they chased this problem for quite a while, and didn't figure it out. So they parked the truck.
Just a reminder to cover the simple stuff and the hard stuff will fall into place. Don't be in a hurry.

Ken

69_XS29L

Reaction score
Ram Year
'95 2500 4x4 '03 OffRoad 1500 '85 W350 4spd
Engine
8L V-10, 5.7L Hemi, 360 4bbl
Bought a '98 1500 4x4 low miles, but no start. Clean, rust free AZ truck, dirt cheap. They threw all the parts at it they could think of. Never checked/tried to turn it over by hand. Oil pump bolts backed out, no pressure, engine locked up.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Scored cam journals on those 318's were usually caused by either a plugged up oil hole or improper lubing during assembly. Most likely, someone rebuilt the motor and didn't dip the block...The old 318's were sludge monsters. As for the oil pump pickups...known issue. You're correct..the little things count.