Swirl Marks on Black Pearl Coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I did mine Monday, and Tuesday :) it hasn't left the garage since

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most swirls are from poor washing and/or drying techniques. To remove the swirls, you have to machine polish. The info from Adam's above is where you need to start. After it's corrected, Ceramic coat it and not with a spray. Use something like CQuartz that actually provides a measurable coating on top of your clear. I put CQuartz on my Ram and I put OptiCoat on the Durango. These coatings will last for years and just need basic maintenance. I suggest maintaining after every other wash with a SiO2 spray like Nanolex SiSplash or Adam's Graphene.

Doing that will get you the look you want and make it easier to maintain, but to keep it that way you need to work on washing/drying techniques. I wash with a pressure washing using a foam cannon and 2 bucket method. The water runs off very well if you keep up that a leaf blower gets most of the water off and then you just need to touch up spots with a waffle weave drying towel.

I gave my True Blue Ram a quick wash yesterday and it's been almost 3 years since I coated it. I just make sure I keep up with the paint protection.

20201128_113613_01.jpg

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 BigHorn in classic black and chrome so I feel your pain. I clay barred and compounded it last summer with Meguiar’s products and it looked brand new. Sadly I’m not diligent on the upkeep and it went back to the pre compound swirl scratch look. After hearing so many good things about the inexpensive turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic I tried it out about 6 weeks ago. I used the one specifically for black paint and simply washed and clay bared my truck before applying. Unlike some ceramic coatings it’s very forgiving but will streak if you use too much. It’s easily correctable if you hit the streaks with a damp cloth. I left the truck in the garage overnight and the next morning I applied a second coat. Much to my surprise I’m very happy with the results. Yes it still has some swirl marks but after 6 weeks it still looks like the day I did it. It will be interesting to see how long it holds up but for $15 it is pretty impressive and no I don’t work for turtle wax.

RRoman67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is going to sound crazy to some of you but the best and cheapest thing I found for swirl marks is corn starch! Use a perfectly clean piece of toweling and very light pressure to gently brush the starch across the finish. The ultra-fine abrasiveness of the cornstarch will polish out the swirls in the clearcoat without actually cutting through it. Blow the residue off when you're done, then throw a little wax at her. I also have the Ram in Black Pearl and part of the fun to me is keeping it clean. I use Jade ceramic paste. Chemical Brothers Black light is also another great product for black trucks.

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
I use a DA polisher, Meguiars D300 and Ultimate wax with a microfiber pad. Just take your time and it all comes out.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use the 205 105 Meguiars combo ... you will start off with the 205 to remove the swirls and scratches as long as they are not too deep .....

The 105 will polish that black pearl to a mirror finish ....

Once you have done that definitely use a ceramic coating if you don't have good washing habits and techniques lol ...

I know this is an older post but respectfully you start off with the 105 and then finish with the 205. Regardless they are great products. I find the new formulated 100 does not create some of the dust issue people have seen with the 105. Can't go wrong with any of them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an older post but respectfully you start off with the 105 and then finish with the 205. Regardless they are great products. I find the new formulated 100 does not create some of the dust issue people have seen with the 105. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Always least aggressive first. 105 (havent tried 100 but Im guessing its similar) is pretty aggressive, especially on black where you'll see everything. Start with 200/205 then if it doesnt work, either try a more aggressive pad or jump up to 100/105. Personally I would try a slightly more aggressive pad with 200/205 before I went with 100/105....pad aggressiveness is more "granular" than the difference between 1xx and 2xx so you can creep up on perfection without using too aggressive of a product.