Synth. media oil filter ( spun micro glass?) for Pentastar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
The Fram Ultra Synthetic appears to be a viable choice. Actually I am not sure there are any others Synthetic media filters made for the V-6.
I was in the local parts store today looking for some Rotella Gas truck oil and oil filters for the Pentastar.
Fram # is XG11665. They did not have any. I saw another XG Ultra Synth. for a different vehicle that was made in China. I would not buy that filter if it was for a vehicle I owned. Just my personal decision.
I get home and have a chat session on the Fram website. I also needed filters for my other truck, a 1988 GMC and one for the Admiral's car as well. ( 2017 Prius Prime ). I explain that I saw the Made in China XG Ultra and ask for verification on where the three filters I want to buy are made? GMC (XG5) = Made in USA, Prius (XG10358) = Made in USA and RAM with Pentastar ( XG11665 ) = Made in Korea. OK, that's good for me.
I ordered all three from the internet and they arrived today. All were marked where they were made directly on the filter as noted above. Place of manufacture was marked on the box as well.
So here is why the long Intro.
The canister cartridge filter for the Prius ( made in USA ) was made of substantially different and thicker / heavier sort of purple colored material. Where the two ends of the pleats meet it is held together with a heavy metal clamp like device the entire width of the pleated area. Also the metal reinforcement is very obvious. The Pentastar filter is a white much thinner material and if there is any metal reinforcement inside I cannot find it. Where the pleats meet there is an obvious glue line. The material behind the pleats in the center section of the filter looks like plastic. The prius filter is much smaller in dimensions than the RAM filter. However it is just as heavy, perhaps heavier.

Is anyone using a synthetic media filter in their Pentastar? Are there other brands other than Fram that are for sure synthetic available for the Pentastar engine?
Does anyone have any definitive information on the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter manufactured for the Pentastar V-6 engine?
Thanks folks.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s always the Napa Platinum too. It also has synthetic media. I just bought five of them on sale a couple weeks ago it is made in Mexico but that’s a hell of a lot better than China as far as I’m concerned.

Attachments

• 6E1C2ED4-1F9B-4CC5-87A3-A3AFCE18CE97.jpeg
    6E1C2ED4-1F9B-4CC5-87A3-A3AFCE18CE97.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 694BF491-BD67-4582-BA79-AFF44B86DB5E.jpeg
    694BF491-BD67-4582-BA79-AFF44B86DB5E.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks for the Info guys,
The Royal purple number is a good one for my truck. Interesting that it looks identical to the Fram Ultra XG11665. Same color, same size pleats, same steps on the end cap. They really do look like twins. Maybe I made too big a deal about the Fram XG 11665 being different from the other Fram Ultra's I have. Can't locate a retailer near me but I can keep looking if I decide to use the RP.
Good to know about the NAPA Plat. I have a NAPA within 3 miles of me. However, I did read that the Platinum was not as efficient at filtering as the NAPA Gold. Go figure. Plus I read it on the internet so that needs to be considered as well.
Edit: Mexico does not bother me.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Yes, I am aware of the Fram reputation for build quality etc.
However, the XG Ultra synthetic series seems to get good press.
I am not sure I have ever used a Fram filter. Certainly if I have it is so long ago that I do not recall using it.
I do try to keep an open mind and until I see accurate substantiated information of negative nature I think the Fram XG Ultra synthetic oil filter remains a viable option. Particularly for the Pentastar V-6 as it appears as though the options for that engine are not plentiful in a synthetic medium filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is a canister filter, so basically it is simply media and a little plastic or wire. No big deal, no valves no nothing. Fram Ultra is great for this, it is all I use in my wife's SUV, buy the fram's on ebay and they are dirt cheap.

Stuff changes, Shell used to be the worst gas, now it;s the best. Pennzoil used to be garbage, now they went to gas to liquid base oils and have a monopoly on hemi specific PUP 0w40. Fram is not the same orange can hanging off old cars in the 80's. Plus they have top lines such as Ultra that are literally better then paper anything. Read the oil filter thread in my sig.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
It is a canister filter, so basically it is simply media and a little plastic or wire. No big deal, no valves no nothing. Fram Ultra is great for this, it is all I use in my wife's SUV, buy the fram's on ebay and they are dirt cheap.

Stuff changes, Shell used to be the worst gas, now it;s the best. Pennzoil used to be garbage, now they went to gas to liquid base oils and have a monopoly on hemi specific PUP 0w40. Fram is not the same orange can hanging off old cars in the 80's. Plus they have top lines such as Ultra that are literally better then paper anything. Read the oil filter thread in my sig.
I agree on the fact that it is a cartridge filter so not too complicated. My only concern was the media and to some extent how it is constructed.
I have read the oil filter thread and tons of other stuff as well. The reason I started this thread is that I was surprised to see the obviously glued area where the filter media ends meet, as well as the obviously different construction from the other Fram Filter I purchased for the Prius. The difference is quite dramatic! At first I thought that maybe it was not a XG11665 but something else in a XG11665 box. However, it is labeled correctly directly on the filter where it also says, "made in Korea". I will use it without worry. No problem. I will also stop at my local NAPA and see what a Platinum for the V-6 looks like. Might even check out the Titanium that is made for Advanced Auto Parts by FRAM. It is basically a different labeled XG Ultra Synthetic with a price increase.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Got my hands on a couple of filters today to examine.
First was the Titanium line at Advanced Auto Parts. As I expected it is identical to the Fram Ultra synthetic. Same glue line where the ends of the media meet and the media material looks identical. Same plastic like backing inside the filter directly behind the media. Also has the rotating inner section that some say prevents the filter from getting twisted during install. Also about $5.00 more expensive than the Ultra.

Also got my hands on a a NAPA Platinum ( same as WIX XP ) Filter media looked exactly like the Fram Ultra and the AAP Titanium. Where it was different was where the filter media ends meet. This filter had the metal band that extended the length of the filter. It also has what is obviously metal inside the filter behind the media. Unlike the FRAM the center section on the NAPA is solidly attached to the filter. It does not rotate or turn. Same price as a FRAM Ultra.

Though there are differences between the WIX made filters and the FRAM made filters those differences are most likely inconsequential in regards to performance.
I liked the NAPA based solely on the use of the metal as opposed to glue and plastic like material. The non rotating center section? I don't think this would be a big deal.
My only reservation on the WIX /NAPA is the fact that WIX actually rates the filtration quite a bit below the rating that FRAM gives it's Ultra Synthetic. In fact they rate it below the regular WIX that uses fiberglass reinforced cellulose as a medium. I will be chasing that question down, hopefully getting an answer.
If I can confirm similar filtering capabilities between the FRAM and the WIX / NAPA I will use the NAPA.

Most all the discussions I have seen have been in regards to the the spin - on type filters used on the 5.7. I hope this helps some of the 3.6 Pentastar owners out.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my hands on a couple of filters today to examine.
First was the Titanium line at Advanced Auto Parts. As I expected it is identical to the Fram Ultra synthetic. Same glue line where the ends of the media meet and the media material looks identical. Same plastic like backing inside the filter directly behind the media. Also has the rotating inner section that some say prevents the filter from getting twisted during install. Also about $5.00 more expensive than the Ultra.

Also got my hands on a a NAPA Platinum ( same as WIX XP ) Filter media looked exactly like the Fram Ultra and the AAP Titanium. Where it was different was where the filter media ends meet. This filter had the metal band that extended the length of the filter. It also has what is obviously metal inside the filter behind the media. Unlike the FRAM the center section on the NAPA is solidly attached to the filter. It does not rotate or turn. Same price as a FRAM Ultra.

Though there are differences between the WIX made filters and the FRAM made filters those differences are most likely inconsequential in regards to performance.
I liked the NAPA based solely on the use of the metal as opposed to glue and plastic like material. The non rotating center section? I don't think this would be a big deal.
My only reservation on the WIX /NAPA is the fact that WIX actually rates the filtration quite a bit below the rating that FRAM gives it's Ultra Synthetic. In fact they rate it below the regular WIX that uses fiberglass reinforced cellulose as a medium. I will be chasing that question down, hopefully getting an answer.
If I can confirm similar filtering capabilities between the FRAM and the WIX / NAPA I will use the NAPA.

Most all the discussions I have seen have been in regards to the the spin - on type filters used on the 5.7. I hope this helps some of the 3.6 Pentastar owners out.
Don't forget that you can buy the Napa filters on sale from time to time. I paid $7.95 each for them on sale like a month ago which should be significantly cheaper than what the other synthetic media filters are selling for. Also what are the filtering percentages across those filters if you happen to know off the top of your head vs the percentages on the cellulose/paper ones.

SteveBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run the Napa Platinum filters and honestly I use the Napa full synthetic oil as well. Just about every other month they have a sale so you can get a platinum filter and 6 Qts of oil for a little over $25. Engine still purrs like a kitten with 128,000 miles on her

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 392 in my Ram, but I have Pentastars in both my own Wrangler and my wife's Wrangler.

I started out using the Mopar filters on the Pentastars, but a year ago I switched to Wix XPs with the synthetic media (finally used up my stash of OEM filters). As someone else pointed out, the NAPA filters are made by Wix -- even the part numbers are similar for the 2014+ Pentastar filters. My 2012 takes a 57526XP and my wife's 2015 takes a WL10010XP. Honestly, I'd get them from my local NAPA, but they don't have counter hours that are friendly with my schedule so I just order Wix filters from Amazon -- they're about the same price as the Platinums at NAPA online but I get free Prime shipping. I use 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum in both Pentastars, even though the 2015 calls for 5W-20.

On the 392, I use 0W-40 PUP and the OEM filter. Once I use up my supply of OEM filters, I'm switching to either the SRT filter or the Wix XP filter. I like the larger volume of the SRT filters, but regardless, I've read that both are excellent.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
StevenBlack & Gort,
I liked the construction of the Wix / Napa synthetic filters. What information I can find on them indicates that Wix themselves rates the filtering efficiency of their synthetic as less than their standard reinforced cellulose. I have read two reports from people who have contacted Wix directly in search of an answer to the filtering efficiency. Both got the same answer from someone who apparently is assigned to answer the phone and then read a "canned" answer back to the inquiring party. Essentially the answer states that the Wix synthetic filter is a filter that is ideal for use with todays synthetic oils. End of statement.
My plan is to use the Wix / Napa synthetic filter when I remove the Fram XG at the next oil change. However, I really would like to find an answer to the Wix efficiency statements.
All I can guess is that it is a misprint or perhaps two different testing methods and nomenclature are used between their standard filter and their synthetic filter.
I am out of the Country for a few months so my investigation of this topic is somewhat on hold.
StevenBlack, I see we are quite close neighbors. Could you shoot me a PM next time you see the NAPA sale? Perhaps I can get on a NAPA email list or something. I do not get any kind of paper media at home.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Why would you not just stay with OEM especially with the updates to the filters over time for the Pentastar V6?

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
For me personally, the MOPAR filters don't look so great when removing them. Some of the aftermarket options appear to have a sturdier construction...
In addition to the above I was trying to move into the world of synthetic media. I think it is safe to say that general consensus would be that it is a more desirable filtering media.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thx SitKneeBend & Different Drummer. It is interesting because I have ran Wix XP in many vehicles for many years yet I will stay with the OEM for the Pentastar including PUP oil.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thx SitKneeBend & Different Drummer. It is interesting because I have ran Wix XP in many vehicles for many years yet I will stay with the OEM for the Pentastar including PUP oil.
What is it about the OEM filters that you like enough to stay with them over the WIX that you have apparent good experience with? I am not debating the choice with you, but in an effort to to keep an open mind and be well informed I need to ask.
In most every vehicle I have dealt with in the past the OEM filters were nothing special and in fact often were unimpressive. i.e. the Admirals Toyota uses OEM filters that Toyota would like you to think are a must to use or your engine will self destruct. Admittedly I have not researched the cartridge type filter used on our Pentastar engines.

As far as oil goes I used PUP for the first several oil changes. After researching various oil formulations I have settled on Rotella Gas Truck. So far I am very happy with it. Though I cannot fault the PUP either. I don't recall exactly but I think there was something in the formulation of RGT that I preferred.

I do know that I had the hood up the other day while the engine was running. I guess that is something that does not happen often. I could not help but notice that the engine running reminded me somewhat of what my BMW motorcycle sounded like. The description of a BMW motorcycle sounding like a sewing machine apples to the engine in my RAM as well.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I just know there was/is a lot of engineering behind the filtration for the Pentastar since early on. Having retired from FCA maybe I'm partial to what I was informed through the years (nothing specific that I can share). My 2020 Durango GT Plus is the Pentastar I am referring to. Same for the Dodge Viper SRT filter. It was designed for that engine initially. I run WIX XP & PUP 0W40 in my Ram 6.4. PUP has a very robust additive package I've been told. Since I change mine every 5K I'm not worried about shear or other concerns. I ran PUP in my GEN IV Viper when I had it based on the Engineer's recommendation. All of the filters mentioned are good. Just like a modern synthetic oil........anyone hear of a modern engine fail due to the motor oil????