Synthetic Diesel Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Crume

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What i do is change every 10000 since it was new. Have always used Rotella T Triple Protection. No oil related Problems yet but i only have a little over 300000 on my 2002.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Synthetic is a waste of $$. Does the owners manual state a longer oil change interval if using synthetic oil? NO.
I never said you should run it longer. It will last as long as the additives though and that isn’t always true with conventional. Your engine will be cleaner with synthetic I guarantee that. Oil is only part of the equation the filter must also be built for extended drain if that is desired as low well.

It also can handle both high heat and extreme cold better. I have used synthetic forever as I have always lived in Minnesota or North Dakota.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just think, after running the truck for hours pulling some heavy weight, that turbo might thank you for using synthetic after you shut down.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got a chance to check with the shop that changes my oil yesterday. The guys said "Dyno oil or synthetic doesn't matter 5k miles and change it" dyno it is at about 1/2 the price of synthetic.

My Cummins is a 5.9 and 5k miles for oil change is what they recommend I believe.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike
I used rotella oil and 5000 mile oci in my 5.9. Oil turned dark almost immediately. Engines went 300000 miles without an issue.

Doug Steinbach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I use full synthetic Delo 400 from Costco (now they sell Kirkland branded oil) I change it myself after 10k but before 15k sending one or two samples to the lab per year for analysis. When I run out of Delo (bought a bunch when I heard they were going to house brand), I’m gonna run the Costco HD synthetic diesel.
For a quick mess free oil change take a look at a Femco drain plug. I also use Fleetgaurd Stratapore LF16035 oil filter manufactured by Cummins Filtration. I can change my oil anywhere in about twenty minutes for $40 and not spill a drop.
16’ Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins/Aisin SRW 322,000 miles all stock.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I never said you should run it longer. It will last as long as the additives though and that isn’t always true with conventional. Your engine will be cleaner with synthetic I guarantee that. Oil is only part of the equation the filter must also be built for extended drain if that is desired as low well.

It also can handle both high heat and extreme cold better. I have used synthetic forever as I have always lived in Minnesota or North Dakota.
I think he knows this but just likes to get on here a stir things up. Some people have sad & pathetic lives & have nothing better to do.