Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do we need to use any Lubegard or anything along with Motul 300V?
no, motul 300v is redline clone or clonish, maybe even more moly.

This is old and different weight, but you see the news. You can search ***** for more current ones, but 300v is the real deal oil.

You must be registered for see images attach

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amsoil is as good as any oil, just not as good as hemi tick as redline and similar type oils. Amsoil went to api friendly formulas, the high performance oils and api have nothing in common. Millers oil out of UK would be a real winner as well.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no, motul 300v is redline clone or clonish, maybe even more moly.

This is old and different weight, but you see the news. You can search ***** for more current ones, but 300v is the real deal oil.

You must be registered for see images attach
OK... that is good to know. Looks like we have a temporary replacement just in case Redline is not available. I also managed to find out that there is an Amsoil dealer also over here. Makes me wonder how Amsoil will fair in preventing the HEMI tick.
https://youtu.be/EOygiiO6Hx0
I just watched this video and it made me think whether I should consider Amsoil as the Redline alternative.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've spoken to my mechanic. He's now recommending Redline to all his customers that come in with a noisy HEMI. But since it is not available at the moment with the local dealer, we decided on Motul 300V as an alternative for my buddy's truck till and hopefully that kills the noise - at least till Redline becomes available again.
I'm due for an oil change as well. So I would think that I might have to run Motul as well. Oh Redline, where forth art thou?..

@Burla Thanks for the advice and input.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla The local dealer of Motul has only Motul 300V 5W40. Would this be OK for the truck for the time being?
I feel pretty comfortable with trying that. At worse you throw a code for wrong oil weight, but I don't see any issues past that. 5w40 is not that stable, as you see here it ends up thinner then redline 5w30 would be. Disappointed in moly level, sometimes this stuff gets frustrating. If you end up being a regular user of motul you might want to get a uoa, I do believe moly level will be higher then this. I bet this guy ran this pretty hard.

You must be registered for see images

broken link

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel pretty comfortable with trying that. At worse you throw a code for wrong oil weight, but I don't see any issues past that. 5w40 is not that stable, as you see here it ends up thinner then redline 5w30 would be. Disappointed in moly level, sometimes this stuff gets frustrating. If you end up being a regular user of motul you might want to get a uoa, I do believe moly level will be higher then this. I bet this guy ran this pretty hard.

You must be registered for see images

broken link

Forgive my ignorance, but you’ll have to explain what you mean by “stable”.
I’m now thinking whether I should just go with Amsoil instead of a brand I’m hearing for the first time on this forum.
With Amsoil, would I need to put in an additive?

What would you recommend?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Viscosity stable, as in it will be lower then when started by a lot, it has a lot to do with the swing winter rating to weight, as in 5w40 is a swing of 35. You see where the viscosity ended up in uoa, nowhere near 5w40. Because the viscosity starts high, I do think it is a good choice to keep hemi tick away, is that what we are doing? If hemi tick isnt the concern, then we can go in another direction. Can you even get lubegard biotech?