Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well ,it looks like oil brands are sports teams . love one ,hate another , I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock, 5.7 hemi . About half way to 1st oil change , has anyone had any experience with Liquid Moly oil . Isee they make 0w-20 that meets Chrysler spec ms3695 , just curious .

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well ,it looks like oil brands are sports teams . love one ,hate another , I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock, 5.7 hemi . About half way to 1st oil change , has anyone had any experience with Liquid Moly oil . Isee they make 0w-20 that meets Chrysler spec ms3695 , just curious .

LIQUI MOLY oil is decent oil if you know what you are looking at. They have a lot of oils that are tailored primarily to European specs. Do not let the panache of the brand being a German one and made in Germany you are getting something extra special.

I would not pay the price premium for it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

You would think liqui moly has moly?

Egineers at FCA made the srt oil with pennzopil to have over 250ppm moly. One reason why many of us preach on it, plus all of the white paper posted on it, see bobs and google. Valvoline 0w20 is getting some play on the board due to it's newer high moly levels.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has Chrysler solved the hemi tick on it's new engines? Just curious as I am driving my old 97 with a 318 with only small minor problems over the years. With Stelantis and Fiat, the Ram has gotten progressively worse in the last 15 years. As long as people keep buying junk, they will keep making junk.
This is not a true statement. I’ve owned rams and worked them hard my entire adult life, every generation of ram I’ve owned has had slight upgrades to either wiring, interior quality and assembly, quality, transmission, and I’ve had the hemi every time. Never, ever have I had an issue and my trucks have always pushed over 100k miles. My 2004 which is what you’re referring to as the “peak” was dog ****. My new ram is ten times better in every category, safety, power, steering, quality of materials, fit and finish, reliability, interior, exterior. My 2020 I got in 2019 still feels new and I’m approaching 90k miles.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I read that Pennzoil varnishes your engine. Gets worse for HEMIs, because they run hot.
I have read the world is flat and the moon is made of cheese. You can find damn near anything on the net. Hell, just today I saw someone on this very forum tell an OP to touch the negative cable of his truck to the positve post of the battery to "Reset the Computer". The net is great but a lot or really stupid crap gets posted too.

Read the Blackstone oil reports and the member oil reviews. I trust the Balckstone results a lot more than random internet crap.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Time for a thread bump?

My '14 Hemi is right about at 105,500 miles. It is now and has been quiet since I bought it. The only noises were from the exhaust manifolds. All manifold bolts and both R and L manifolds have been replaced, and quiet ever since.

So this morning I had the dealer-installed mystery oil and cheap Mopar filter changed out to 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Royal Purple 20-820 (large) filter.

Still nice and quiet. The only change I can even remotely attribute to the change is the oil pressure at idle and water temp = 200F.

Before, the oil pressure would sit at 31 psi to 33 psi. Now it is at 39-40 PSI. This is not scientific, it's anecdotal, and probably minor, but it's all I've noticed. The oil pressure still gets up to roughly 65 PSI at higher RPMs, so no change there.

Just for grins I sent a VOA of this oil to Blackstone for use as a point of reference. As I only drive about 6,000 miles per year I will likely do another oil change 3,000 miles from now and send off a used oil sample. I've only seen one previous sample and I didn't like the way it looked. I want to look for trends.

Right now I am undecided as to what oil I will use for the summer. I may continue with PUP 5W-20. I am thinking or trying Redline 5W-30. I plan on using another RP 20-820 filter again at next OCI.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pennsylvania gets hot in summer. I'd go with 5W-30. Especially if you tow anything.

Yep, that's what I am thinking. Although 5W-20 is all I have ever used, My biggest concern is using one of the best oils we have seen. My best guess is that either oil, a really good 5W-20 or 5W-30 would work year round.

With a nice quiet Hemi I think I would feel better about 5W-30 now that it is over 100k miles. The PUP was much easier to find and get my hands on locally for this OCI. Redline will have to be ordered online.

EDIT: So far, I have never towed anything, and I've only loaded the bed with a face cord of wood once per year. Groceries and my fat a.s.s are the only "work" this truck regularly does. :D