Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram didnt choose 5w20, the gov't did. In the non mds hemi fca choose a 40 weight, but because of fuel economy standards they couldn't with the 5,7. So considering fca went to a 40 weight when they got to choose the oil, tells me even 30 weight might be too thin. To answer your question why I di it, I believe it gives a tad more metal protection. The the real world psi determines lubrication because the oil pump equalizes different oil weights, but the fact is we do see a 2 psi increase with 30 weight. And long uoa's have been stellar.
Thank you. I just dont want to hurt the engine in any way just want the best for it. This is the newest truck I ever owned with the lowest mileage just want to protect and get long life out of it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thank you. I just dont want to hurt the engine in any way just want the best for it. This is the newest truck I ever owned with the lowest mileage just want to protect and get long life out of it

If it is a 2015 then likely the tolerances are loosened up a bit as well, do you use any oil between oil changes? What is your interval? You are up the NH so you like want a low winter rated oil. Many guys up there do a summer oil change and winter change, I'm not saying it is necessary, but many guys here do that.

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is a 2015 then likely the tolerances are loosened up a bit as well, do you use any oil between oil changes? What is your interval? You are up the NH so you like want a low winter rated oil. Many guys up there do a summer oil change and winter change, I'm not saying it is necessary, but many guys here do that.
I just got the truck last week so I haven't changed it yet. I want to do asap as I drop trust used car dealers and such. I put less than a 1000 miles on the truck

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You may want to find a 0w30 seeing as you're in NH. I'm going to try Redline 0w30 this winter and I'm south of you in MA. Whatever you end up using I highly recommend, along with many others, to run a 30wt. Think about it this way, the 5.7 produces 395hp stock, that's a lot of pressure on the rod bearings in the power stroke. You want the best film strength in those bearings as possible for longevity, especially if you tow.

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to find a 0w30 seeing as you're in NH. I'm going to try Redline 0w30 this winter and I'm south of you in MA. Whatever you end up using I highly recommend, along with many others, to run a 30wt. Think about it this way, the 5.7 produces 395hp stock, that's a lot of pressure on the rod bearings in the power stroke. You want the best film strength in those bearings as possible for longevity, especially if you tow.
That's good to know I'll do that. Use to do that with my older vehicles when I was younger. Thank you for the advice

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I switched from 5W-30 PUP to the 5W-30 RL, I stayed with the RP 10-48. I got the oil from Nick. My 2017 Hemi has 12,577 miles, I took a sample and will be sending it off to Blackstone.

42EED027-7366-4F20-BD9C-C2D2D6DD6D36.jpeg

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Today I switched from 5W-30 PUP to the 5W-30 RL, I stayed with the RP 10-48. I got the oil from Nick. My 2017 Hemi has 12,577 miles, I took a sample and will be sending it off to Blackstone.

View attachment 172131
That's a sexy looking oil change kit right there now [emoji6][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Happy 4th everyone. Well not sexy like redline, but decided to dump my dealer oil change from 4 months ago, only 2800 miles on it, not sure if they used pp or pup 5w20. Every ******** time i start the truck without my phone recording i get that nasty loud tick, couple days ago it sounded like something was gonna blow thru the block and fender. Shortly after that dealership change i put on an RP 20-820 and added about 12oz of lubegard biotech. No change. So i left the RP filter in, dumped oil and thru in 7qts of qsud 5w30. I drive short distances to work, and only about 6-7k a year. I decided to try qsud because its cheap, and the uoas ive seen here look good. I do want to do redline, but if short distances build condensation in the oil im not doin redline twice a year at that cost and my mileage. Fired the truck up 3xs since i changed it, sounded nice and quiet, i know it doesn't mean **** yet, my fingers are crossed. Also grabbed a sample to send to Blackstone. Oil was pretty damn dark for 4 months and 2800 miles. Experimenting here, i was gonna ask for opinions b4 hand, but just figured f#@$ it, qsud was on ssle for 17.50 for 5qt jug. Im tryin it

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Happy 4th everyone. Well not sexy like redline, but decided to dump my dealer oil change from 4 months ago, only 2800 miles on it, not sure if they used pp or pup 5w20. Every ******** time i start the truck without my phone recording i get that nasty loud tick, couple days ago it sounded like something was gonna blow thru the block and fender. Shortly after that dealership change i put on an RP 20-820 and added about 12oz of lubegard biotech. No change. So i left the RP filter in, dumped oil and thru in 7qts of qsud 5w30. I drive short distances to work, and only about 6-7k a year. I decided to try qsud because its cheap, and the uoas ive seen here look good. I do want to do redline, but if short distances build condensation in the oil im not doin redline twice a year at that cost and my mileage. Fired the truck up 3xs since i changed it, sounded nice and quiet, i know it doesn't mean **** yet, my fingers are crossed. Also grabbed a sample to send to Blackstone. Oil was pretty damn dark for 4 months and 2800 miles. Experimenting here, i was gonna ask for opinions b4 hand, but just figured f#@$ it, qsud was on ssle for 17.50 for 5qt jug. Im tryin it

Those short trips actually put that type of driving into the severe usage category.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well guys I will be coming up on doing my own oil changes soon, the dealership free ones are done. Combing through this thread, and the couple other oil threads out there, there are so many many many comments about which oil is better! And who is running for what, and why!

I grew up using Valvoline or Mobil 1 in my vehicles, I always had GMs before my RAM. I always thought Pennzoil was garbage. Is it?

At this point I'm probably a basic ***** oil guy, like your typical Starbucks broad. I'd be willing to try a specialty oil like Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, but I'd like to stick to one of the basic ones first! lol

So out of Mobil 1, PUP, Valvoline, thoughts? Filter brand and type?

p.s. no engine mods other than drop in AEM filter and Corsa cat back...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read my oil filter thread in my sig.

As for oil, many choices are good, if you look at the forum as a hole Pennzoil is number one, so yes it is not crap anymore since shell bought them, especially PUP which is srt oil and very low wear numbers. Second most used oil is m1 despite not having spec, the best deal with costco deal in oil another great choice. Then you have amsoil number 3, new formula boosts moly another good choice. The 4th you have redline, if you have hemi tick or any raspy noise the only choice, great long term wear numbers. Then you have some honorable mention oils, qsud great deal and new formula has high moly. If you want really cheap PYB great choice as well. That should narrow down a bit, those are the top oils on the forum, read the poll thread. Newer oil is rotella gas and truck, very high moly as well, along with shaeffers.

Another consideration is weight, almost 1/2 the forum uses 30 weight or higher.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Read my oil filter thread in my sig.

As for oil, many choices are good, if you look at the forum as a hole Pennzoil is number one, so yes it is not crap anymore since shell bought them, especially PUP which is srt oil and very low wear numbers. Second most used oil is m1 despite not having spec, the best deal with costco deal in oil another great choice. Then you have amsoil number 3, new formula boosts moly another good choice. The 4th you have redline, if you have hemi tick or any raspy noise the only choice, great long term wear numbers. Then you have some honorable mention oils, qsud great deal and new formula has high moly. If you want really cheap PYB great choice as well. That should narrow down a bit, those are the top oils on the forum, read the poll thread. Newer oil is rotella gas and truck, very high moly as well, along with shaeffers.

Another consideration is weight, almost 1/2 the forum uses 30 weight or higher.

Burla, thanks from what I could tell it seems Pennzoil is commonly used. I do have some tick every now and then. Whenever I do, I've asked the dealer to look at the bolts, at least to document on the receipt... sometimes it can be the gas as well correct?

I live in the southeast with hot humid summers, and sometimes cold winters. Is 5W-30 a good weight for me?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla, thanks from what I could tell it seems Pennzoil is commonly used. I do have some tick every now and then. Whenever I do, I've asked the dealer to look at the bolts, at least to document on the receipt... sometimes it can be the gas as well correct?

I live in the southeast with hot humid summers, and sometimes cold winters. Is 5W-30 a good weight for me?

If it were me I'd run 5w30, I don't see how gas could be part of this hemi tick deal. But running uppercylinder lubes can quiet engines in general with next to no risk. The only possible risk is a clogged fuel filter, extremely rare even but sometimes a UCL will dislodge something. Redline s1 or tcw3 are two popular ones, lucas ucl or mmo as well for budget options.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those short trips actually put that type of driving into the severe usage category.
And all the more reason to have an OCC to get the condensation out of the crankcase via the PCV [emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2016 with 7k miles on it, a few times i do get that lifter tick upon 1st start up of a day.
I dont even think its broken in yet!
It was my buddy from works lease return, i dont put many miles on either.
Should i try 0w30 or 5w30? I only put 2k on it since march when i bought it, no idea what the dealer put in.