Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you @Hemi395 and @U&A, I am going to try QSUD. I'll use 6 quarts of 5w20 in the wife's car with a WIX filter and 4 quarts of 5w20 and 3 quarts of 5w30 in my Hemi with the Royal Purple filter. I'll add Lubegard to both as well. Thank you both.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thank you @Hemi395 and @U&A, I am going to try QSUD. I'll use 6 quarts of 5w20 in the wife's car with a WIX filter and 4 quarts of 5w20 and 3 quarts of 5w30 in my Hemi with the Royal Purple filter. I'll add Lubegard to both as well. Thank you both.

Your in Texas..... your truck would appreciate 7 quarts of 5W30.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tour in Texas..... your truck would appreciate 7 quarts of 5W30.

Well I don't have any ticking, only normal valve train noise and my truck is still under warranty. I've talked to my mechanic before about switching to 5w30 and he told me it could help or could hurt the engine, so being I am still under warranty I am a bit leery of going full 5w30.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well I don't have any ticking, only normal valve train noise and my truck is still under warranty. I've talked to my mechanic before about switching to 5w30 and he told me it could help or could hurt the engine, so being I am still under warranty I am a bit leery of going full 5w30.

Gotcha,

Warranty is a good reason.

If you ever get the chance id love his opinion on how the slight jump in full operating temp viscosity will hurt the engine. Everyone here would actually love to hear it.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both mine are still under warranty too and they both have 5W30 in the crankcase. I think its worth the risk on the warranty part because unless you have a lifetime warranty that extra protection could make the difference sometime down the road long after the warranty has expired.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The local big box lumber yard has an 11% off sale on everything in the store. QSUD is going for $19.67 or so.

I think I'll try some. It will work in the Fusion if nothing else.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I threw in a bottle of that Lube Gard BioTech and that stuff works like a charm. Added into the Redline 5W20 and she pretty good going. Ok trying to maintain the annoyance of the piston slap here in the James Bay tempts until spring arrives. I was going to switch out to 0w20 right away but she seems to be settling down and the weather is getting warmer. Still cold though! lol.
D926D52D-0C0E-495B-BE9E-40BA9ED059A0.jpeg

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any issues with switching from RP to Pennzoil in the V6? For what ever reason people must be drinking oil here in town cause I couldnt get my hands on any RP, but I did manage to get some Pennzoil Platinum

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought a '14 Ram Laramie 4x4 with 81k miles about a month ago. Got an oil change right away on way home from dealership, Valvoline 5W20 Synthetic MaxLife Oil. Been reading a lot about Moly.

1. Should I add some Lubegard Biotech right away?
2. If I switch to 5W30 QSUD, can I run that all year here in WI?

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Bought a '14 Ram Laramie 4x4 with 81k miles about a month ago. Got an oil change right away on way home from dealership, Valvoline 5W20 Synthetic MaxLife Oil. Been reading a lot about Moly.

Check your owner's manual. I think the 5.7 should use oils that meet ms 12633. I don't think Valvoline 5W20 Synthetic MaxLife Oil meets that spec.
check out QSUD if it does.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

If you don't have hemi tick, it is less of a need for a moly additive. Valvoline continues to have no commitment to moly across their oils, you see in recent uoa's no moly depending on formula or I guess how they feel at the moment. So not an urgent need, but a good idea nonetheless, most oil formulations use moly for a reason, the fact Valvoline doesn't is disappointing imo.

A hemi with those miles should be off 20 weight oil anyhow, literally all high mileage oils go heavier. But, since you are in a snow state, maybe you should look at 0w30 for year round use. M1 makes a great 0w30, and read the oil filter thread in my sig, most guys want to run spun microglass filtration over paper. Fram Ultra is probably the cheapest and most widespread, but there are a few options as well.

There is also a blackstone thread, you may opt to do a uoa when that oil reached 5k miles to see how your hei is wearing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The issue with some 5w30's and cold places is piston slap, and this year more guys reported this then every before at ram forum. So the answer has changed, in past years everyone would have said yeah just run 5w30, but new information is you can pick up some piston slap. Guys running 0w30 have reported it does alleviate piston slap, every truck will be different on this.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't have hemi tick, it is less of a need for a moly additive. Valvoline continues to have no commitment to moly across their oils, you see in recent uoa's no moly depending on formula or I guess how they feel at the moment. So not an urgent need, but a good idea nonetheless, most oil formulations use moly for a reason, the fact Valvoline doesn't is disappointing imo.

A hemi with those miles should be off 20 weight oil anyhow, literally all high mileage oils go heavier. But, since you are in a snow state, maybe you should look at 0w30 for year round use. M1 makes a great 0w30, and read the oil filter thread in my sig, most guys want to run spun microglass filtration over paper. Fram Ultra is probably the cheapest and most widespread, but there are a few options as well.

There is also a blackstone thread, you may opt to do a uoa when that oil reached 5k miles to see how your hei is wearing.
Burla, is this the M1 you are referring to?
upload_2020-4-22_13-46-43.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla, is this the M1 you are referring to?
View attachment 203815

The m1 ESP 0w30 has viscosity much better with those desirable specs. I see m1 0w30 now only comes in the two choices, you may opt for another 0w30, but for m1 I like the ESP. It used to have moly, it probably still does, but because it is low saps friendly I'm not 100%, everything else looks great, I'd get a uoa after you use it. Soon gf-6 drops and everything will change, we have no idea what otc oils will be good or bad.

MB-Approval 229.31

MB 229.51

MB 229.52

PORSCHE C30

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thinking of switching to Red Line 0w-30. Just want to make sure that oil is ok for my 5.7 hemi.