Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Accidental42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day everyone,

I 'm thinking about changing up which motor oil I use and would like to get some info if I could. I bought my 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 about 5 years ago with 115,000km on it. It is now at 194,000km. I have always used Castrol full synthetic 5w20, except the last couple times I used Kirkland full synthetic 5w20 only because of the price. I'm wondering if it is a good idea to switch over to something like Pennzoil platinum full synthetic high mileage, or Quaker state high mileage full synthetic. Or should I stay with what I am using? I change my oil every 5,000km (I know, I'm probably changing it too often) I'm actually doing a test run right now of going for 8,000 km but I think I am loosing a little it of oil between changes so I will most likely stick with 5k intervals.

Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good day everyone,

I 'm thinking about changing up which motor oil I use and would like to get some info if I could. I bought my 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 about 5 years ago with 115,000km on it. It is now at 194,000km. I have always used Castrol full synthetic 5w20, except the last couple times I used Kirkland full synthetic 5w20 only because of the price. I'm wondering if it is a good idea to switch over to something like Pennzoil platinum full synthetic high mileage, or Quaker state high mileage full synthetic. Or should I stay with what I am using? I change my oil every 5,000km (I know, I'm probably changing it too often) I'm actually doing a test run right now of going for 8,000 km but I think I am loosing a little it of oil between changes so I will most likely stick with 5k intervals.

Thanks!

If you follow oil specs overtime you might come to the same concussion as me, that lesser named brands are at least equal to larger named brands, and maybe even better. The specs have brought the field together, and a few additives is all that really separates the field, we know moly level is part of the deal, and kirkland has decent moly level, if I was you I would be happy right were I am and stick with that 5k mile interval. if you feel so motivated to add just a bit more protection, you could dump a 10 ouncer of lubegard biotech once in a while or at every change, a 6-7 dollar bottle and all it does is up beneficial additives to your oil, not a gimmick like some additives.

There is two caveats, one is hemi tick or cam/lifter wear that can be verified with a used oil analisys or the sound of hemi tick, if that condition exists then we should talk, and the second consideration is cold areas, some oils do 0 winter rated better then others, so in those situations that safe move is always m1 imo, in that situation name brand might get you better performance. Look at oil stat sheets cold flow properties to determine if your oil stands up to name brands.

However, you should read the oil filter thread in my sig, now that should be something you want, spun microglass with filter better through all 5k miles, but I'd bet the paper filter went stiff at the end of that interval.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess I should add a 3rd caveat and it sounds relevant, HM oils that may slow that leak, that is in part how they are designed. For a HM oil that doesn't include cold performance I really like Pennzoil Platinum HM oil, in no small part to the moly level.

I see you are in Canada, maybe 0w30 m1 with lubegard would be a good way to go. A little thicker for HM situation, and and 0 winter rated for cold performance.

Accidental42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I should add a 3rd caveat and it sounds relevant, HM oils that may slow that leak, that is in part how they are designed. For a HM oil that doesn't include cold performance I really like Pennzoil Platinum HM oil, in no small part to the moly level.

I see you are in Canada, maybe 0w30 m1 with lubegard would be a good way to go. A little thicker for HM situation, and and 0 winter rated for cold performance.

Thank you for the info, I do not have the Hemi tick which is good. I think I will make the switch to pennzoil full synthetic high milage. (5w20 of course).

As far as filters, I will be sure to read up on the thread you have linked. Looks like a lot of reading.... Personally I tend to bounce mainly between the WIX XP filters and the Fram Ultra filters. I did use dealership filters for a short period but I really wasn't sure if those were ment for synthetic oil or not.

The Wix and Fram are easiest to get here and with 5,000km change intervals, I'm sure neither of them get close to capacity.

Thanks!

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purchased this 2017 bighorn two months ago 36k miles. Records show the oil was changed every 4k miles at dealer. I assume that was conventional oil or blend based on those intervals.

I just did the oil change using penzzoil 5w-20 full synthetic. I will be changing every 5k.

The engine sounds different at cold start and idle. It's so quiet now.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just been told by my the local dealer that Redline Oil 5W 30 stock is over. He doesn't know when the new stock will get here. A friend of mine has noticed a bit of noise on his 5.7 and thought of using Redline before it becomes a full blown HEMI tick.
Any ideas on a substitute for Redline that is just as good? Would 5W40 work - depending on if he's got it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just been told by my the local dealer that Redline Oil 5W 30 stock is over. He doesn't know when the new stock will get here. A friend of mine has noticed a bit of noise on his 5.7 and thought of using Redline before it becomes a full blown HEMI tick.
Any ideas on a substitute for Redline that is just as good? Would 5W40 work - depending on if he's got it?
You neck of the woods I would try motul 300v 5w30, in theory this should be every bit as good as redline as far as additive package. 5w40 redline is a tick killer, and in your neck of the woods there would be less issue running a thick oil, but that is pretty aggressive.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla Thank you for that.. How about Amsoil? Is that is as good as RedLine?
Anyone here has experience with using Motul on their engine long term? Obviously, once Redline 5W30 becomes available again, I will be switching back.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
@Burla Thank you for that.. How about Amsoil? Is that is as good as RedLine?
Anyone here has experience with using Motul on their engine long term? Obviously, once Redline 5W30 becomes available again, I will be switching back.
Just one "oil run" and will go back to that if Redline will be on back order

Attachments

• IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 5

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do we need to use any Lubegard or anything along with Motul 300V?
no, motul 300v is redline clone or clonish, maybe even more moly.

This is old and different weight, but you see the news. You can search ***** for more current ones, but 300v is the real deal oil.

Motul300V5w40VOA.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amsoil is as good as any oil, just not as good as hemi tick as redline and similar type oils. Amsoil went to api friendly formulas, the high performance oils and api have nothing in common. Millers oil out of UK would be a real winner as well.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no, motul 300v is redline clone or clonish, maybe even more moly.

This is old and different weight, but you see the news. You can search ***** for more current ones, but 300v is the real deal oil.

View attachment 471274
OK... that is good to know. Looks like we have a temporary replacement just in case Redline is not available. I also managed to find out that there is an Amsoil dealer also over here. Makes me wonder how Amsoil will fair in preventing the HEMI tick.
https://youtu.be/EOygiiO6Hx0
I just watched this video and it made me think whether I should consider Amsoil as the Redline alternative.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've spoken to my mechanic. He's now recommending Redline to all his customers that come in with a noisy HEMI. But since it is not available at the moment with the local dealer, we decided on Motul 300V as an alternative for my buddy's truck till and hopefully that kills the noise - at least till Redline becomes available again.
I'm due for an oil change as well. So I would think that I might have to run Motul as well. Oh Redline, where forth art thou?..

@Burla Thanks for the advice and input.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla The local dealer of Motul has only Motul 300V 5W40. Would this be OK for the truck for the time being?
I feel pretty comfortable with trying that. At worse you throw a code for wrong oil weight, but I don't see any issues past that. 5w40 is not that stable, as you see here it ends up thinner then redline 5w30 would be. Disappointed in moly level, sometimes this stuff gets frustrating. If you end up being a regular user of motul you might want to get a uoa, I do believe moly level will be higher then this. I bet this guy ran this pretty hard.

s1000rr-motul-300v-oil-analysis-20181011-png.6230

broken link

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel pretty comfortable with trying that. At worse you throw a code for wrong oil weight, but I don't see any issues past that. 5w40 is not that stable, as you see here it ends up thinner then redline 5w30 would be. Disappointed in moly level, sometimes this stuff gets frustrating. If you end up being a regular user of motul you might want to get a uoa, I do believe moly level will be higher then this. I bet this guy ran this pretty hard.

s1000rr-motul-300v-oil-analysis-20181011-png.6230

broken link

Forgive my ignorance, but you’ll have to explain what you mean by “stable”.
I’m now thinking whether I should just go with Amsoil instead of a brand I’m hearing for the first time on this forum.
With Amsoil, would I need to put in an additive?

What would you recommend?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Viscosity stable, as in it will be lower then when started by a lot, it has a lot to do with the swing winter rating to weight, as in 5w40 is a swing of 35. You see where the viscosity ended up in uoa, nowhere near 5w40. Because the viscosity starts high, I do think it is a good choice to keep hemi tick away, is that what we are doing? If hemi tick isnt the concern, then we can go in another direction. Can you even get lubegard biotech?