synthetic oil -- 6.4 HEMI

what 0W-40 oil do you prefer in your 6.4 (or other weight/brand)

• Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Redline

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobile 1

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Castrol

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Lucas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mind you this is only my opinion and thoughts. With some of it having actual back up @ BITOG.

It has been shown that M1 0W-40 has undergone some minor changes over the last year. If you notice the new bottles will have a small FS on the front and very small print. This has been said to possibly stand for fuel savings .

This has been talked about being a new formula made from GTL Base stock. Mobile one actually had a GTL plant built before Shell. But for some reason they did not put the plant in production. Maybe the price of natural gas turn them away from it?

This oil still carry some of the most stringent certifications oil can have. Which means it is still a remarkably good oil. I do believe after reading this oil only lost one certification after the new formula was put in production.

Honestly if I had a 6.4L this would probably be my go to oil. Due to the price and availability it would really for me be a no-brainer. If my 6.4 L was spec for 0W-40 oil. I would also look at German made Castrol 0W-40. These two would be my first 2 choices.

One thing I want you to think about to is you are just not limited with your motor to run a 0W-40 you have many options out there.

I honestly cannot say that Moly is the magic elixir of these hemi motors. My 5.7L hemi was super quiet and smooth on the Belgium made Castrol 0W-30 and German Castrol 0W-40 combo. (No Moly but Titanium). If the availability of the PUP becomes Null this will be the combo I go back to. Amazon is really struggling with keeping the price down on the PUP as well as keeping it in stock so the Castrol might be in my near future again. After my stash of PUP is gone.

One thing I forgot to mention was the ****** oil analysis of the M1 0W-40 has shown that with the new GTL base this oil is a very thin 40Wt. I will look for a recent VOA of this oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4028326/all/Mobil_1_M1_0W-40_"FS"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...46/VOA_Castrol_Edge_with_Ti_-_0w4#Post4089446

My laptop computer died so I'm doing this all off my phone so if words are mixed and messed up I do apologize my thumbs are big and fat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mind you this is only my opinion and thoughts. With some of it having actual back up @ BITOG.

It has been shown that M1 0W-40 has undergone some minor changes over the last year. If you notice the new bottles will have a small FS on the front and very small print. This has been said to possibly stand for fuel savings .

This has been talked about being a new formula made from GTL Base stock. Mobile one actually had a GTL plant built before Shell. But for some reason they did not put the plant in production. Maybe the price of natural gas turn them away from it?

This oil still carry some of the most stringent certifications oil can have. Which means it is still a remarkably good oil. I do believe after reading this oil only lost one certification after the new formula was put in production.

Honestly if I had a 6.4L this would probably be my go to oil. Due to the price and availability it would really for me be a no-brainer. If my 6.4 L was spec for 0W-40 oil. I would also look at German made Castrol 0W-40. These two would be my first 2 choices.

One thing I want you to think about to is you are just not limited with your motor to run a 0W-40 you have many options out there.

I honestly cannot say that Moly is the magic elixir of these hemi motors. My 5.7L hemi was super quiet and smooth on the Belgium made Castrol 0W-30 and German Castrol 0W-40 combo. If the availability of the PUP becomes Null this will be the combo I go back to. Amazon is really struggling with keeping the price down on the PUP as well as keeping it in stock so the Castrol might be in my near future again. After my stash of PUP is gone.

One thing I forgot to mention was the ****** oil analysis of the M1 0W-40 has shown that with the new GTL base this oil is a very thin 40Wt.

This stuff ?

Mobil 1 0W-40 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. - Walmart.com

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt - Walmart.com

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yup! Both of those oil's you posted contain and hold some of the most stringent certifications an oil can obtain. Both oil's are great choices for the daily driver.

I edited my last post and posted 2 VOA of both oils. One thing to remember the additive package does not tell the whole story. The base oil has a lot to say about how strong of a performer the oil is.

PM sent!

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
SYN,

just to be clear, being that the VOA is over 3 years old I dont think this is the new "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum" formula. It looks like the "ultra" before the did the PUP thing. Am I correct on this? I know they improved the packages on the PUP over the original "Ultra".

Attached is my oil report. The highlight one is the latest PUP with the far right the factory fill.

With the exception of wear metal, it is pretty close to that VOA sample of the older Ultra formula. Only exception I see is the is the newer PUP does shear ever so slightly out of grade to a heavy 30wt.

The last sample was a one time experiment I did running 4 quarts of PUP and 3 quarts of 10W-40 PYB conventional trying to see if I could keep it in grade but that did not work as I had hoped. Current fill is back to 0W-40 PUP.

oilreport.jpg

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Attached is my oil report. The highlight one is the latest PUP with the far right the factory fill.

With the exception of wear metal, it is pretty close to that VOA sample of the older Ultra formula. Only exception I see is the is the newer PUP does shear ever so slightly out of grade to a heavy 30wt.

The last sample was a one time experiment I did running 4 quarts of PUP and 3 quarts of 10W-40 PYB conventional trying to see if I could keep it in grade but that did not work as I had hoped. Current fill is back to 0W-40 PUP.

oilreport.jpg

thank you very much for the UOA!! im sure other appreciate it too.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
so can anyone shed some intelligent light on this UOA?

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Like how does it compair to like M1 0w40?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Like how does it compair to like M1 0w40?

Has about 1/3'rd the moly of PUP and more boron. Everything else is about the same. Many people have been running it in these engines with no problem. If not in warranty and squeezed on getting PUP, I would use the Mobil 1.

M1_0W40_FS_VOA.jpg

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Why is moly so impoerant in the 6.4 and the 0w40?

Or is it normaly important to have a lot of it and a good oil?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Why is moly so impoerant in the 6.4 and the 0w40?

Or is it normaly important to have a lot of it and a good oil?

Molybdenum Disulfide over time forms a lubricated coating over parts and fills in microscopic pores and valleys in a given metal.

I am not an expert by any means but there is some notable instances of cam failures of Hemi 5.7's with the common denominator of very low or no Moly oils used with Valvoline being a big culprit.

I am not privy to FCA's engineering and even though there is public statements that conventional 5W-30 was used during the RAM 6.4's development, they eventually spec'd 0W-40 and not just any 0W-40 but one that meets their MS-12633 specification and PUP 0W-40 meets that spec with a high moly count.

Reactions: U&A