Synthetic oil or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram has 21000,miles on it . Just started doing the famous hemi- tick only on cold start up. Have taken it to the dealer for all my oil changes. They don't use synthetic ,just the standard oil. Should I change to full synthetic now? It says in my owners manual standard oil is recommended / synthetic is fine as long as same viscosity.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Ram has 21000,miles on it . Just started doing the famous hemi- tick only on cold start up. Have taken it to the dealer for all my oil changes. They don't use synthetic ,just the standard oil. Should I change to full synthetic now? It says in my owners manual standard oil is recommended / synthetic is fine as long as same viscosity.

There is a 35,000+thread on this, with tons of testing and analysis all paid for by individuals.

Cliff notes is this:

5W-20 isn’t enough, run 5W-30 or higher.

Dino Oil—Pennzoil Yellow Bottle in 5W-30
Synthetic Oil:
Redline 5W-30
Amsoil SS 5W-30
Quaker State Ultra Durability 5W-30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

Run 7.5-8qts as 7qts Isn’t quite enough for the pickup in the oil pan.

Oil filters matter, more than we thought.
Best filters:

Royal Purple
Fram Ultra Synthetic
Amsoil

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Kurek in 3.2.1. :)

Yes synthetic, 5w30 in warm state, 0w30 if you reach freezing temps, redline if you have hemi tick, and 5w20 mopar fluid if you have lifetime warranty, 0w20 if you have cold piston slap. Hemi's like high moly, consider high moly oils, amsoil ss, truck and gas, qsud, shaeffers, any generic oil like m1 or PUP and add lubegard biotech for moly boost 6 bucks amazon. Nick gotexhaust cheap redline also high moly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One last thing, with the forum's work on lubegard biotech, understand that inexpensive synthetic oils are just incredible value and quality. Oils such as amazon oil or kirkland oil, walmart oil etc. If you learn about oil and see their formulas and the specs they carry, dump some lubegard because moly is something hemi's need, and you have a great lubrication strategy and a very cheap price.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
For any engine produced after 2016 one should be using either a full synthetic or a synthetic blend. A 100% dino base stock is not going to meet the SAE API specifications for motor oil for the new engines.

Check the FCA Material Standard MS-6395 to find specific motor oils approved for use in the engines. 3.6L takes 0W-20 and 5.7L takes 5W-20. FCA recommends Pennzoil and Shell Helix motor oils.

Not sure about a gas engine but for a diesel engine the very worst motor oil being produced is the oil from Amsoil. Brilliant marketing when a company like Amsoil can sell an inferior product at premium prices.

With my Chevy diesel truck and its Allison transmission I went to the Ram dealer who had Valvoline Blue motor oil and to the Allison dealer to get Castrol TranSynd ATF as both were far superior to what I could get at the Chevy dealers.