Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The one that has 166 moly was the 3 qts PUP 0w40 and 4 qts PUP 5w30. That was another good UOA.

The Ike was just one of the spots my truck worked hard. There were some serious hills near the campground we stayed at in upstate NY. Going into Colorado from Nebraska is a steady uphill climb for at least 200 miles so it was working then as well. And on the way back home through Colorado and Nebraska where it should have been 200+ miles of coasting, we had a pretty nasty headwind. The truck wouldn't go out of 4th and was in 3rd a good amount of time trying to maintain 60-65mph.

She worked pretty hard on that trip. Plus keep in mind there were 4 of us in the truck and the bed was loaded up supplies. This is why I'm shocked and absolutely delighted to see how great this UOA is.

RL 5w30 is the stuff.

We are a very focused group and in that case we are going to hear about all the bad **** that happens here in the very focused group. Also people are going to seek out forms that have problems to begin with.

My point is Corey’s story is the reason why a lot of people buy Hemi’s. All the doom and gloom we here is nothing compared to all the positive things that we don’t hear.

Thank you for sharing this Cory. It is a big deal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here's one that a guy was testing 5w20 versus 5w30 but he changed brands, so the uoa's are a mute point as far as the debate 5w20 or 5w30. Obvious it was old formula Amsoil ss.

attachment.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive mentioned it before but wanted to ask again.

I know I have always assumed seeing a 75-ish number of moly meant it was some of the newer developed stuff (tri-nuclear, Infineum, etc)

While that is great and all, the best results for quieting and smoothing out the Hemi seem to come from oils with really high Moly count, which one would think is the "plain old" standard moly.

Is it possible that the tri-nuclear stuff doesnt work as well in the Hemi? For whatever reason(s)? Which is why something like Redline with 500ppm, which is clearly "plain old moly" quiets the engines down better than even the best Pennzoil has to offer (which is presumably using a different type of moly)? That is assuming that moly is all or at least most of the solution.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Along with that is there a way to distinguish between regular moly and tri nuclear moly?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think we are getting too optimistic maybe, some hemi's have hemi tick because of **** quality from FCA. I think we have gotten lucky to find an oil that relieves it. Certainly tri-nuclear moly works well in a hemi as in other vehicles, there is a ton of stuff posted on moly including the moly bible that syn found. of most interest to your question if you can find it again is white paper showing tri-nuclear moly versus bi-nuclear moly from Infinium. If you believe white papers 75ppm tri nuclear moly is very very effective at lower the coefficient of friction. I would bet that paper is in bob's white paper section, but do not know for sure. I can't blame tri-nuclear moly because some engines tick with it in the formula, just as they do with no moly, or even organic moly as in PYB and Redline. If I can find the paper again I will be post it, but believe me tri-nuclear moly is an upgrade.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Along with that is there a way to distinguish between regular moly and tri nuclear moly?

not in an uoa, I think it is the norm and you have to assume the top brands are using it. Especially since the effective rate is the 75ppm range, in fact whenever you see a high moly level it is much more likely to be bi-nuclear as the effective ratio on that is 200ppm. You can bet every oil company has this information.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Interesting thread on PEA at bob's. Warning about changing your oil after PEA use. I think I can safely say I used the hell out of PEA to the point it made my oil smell funny, nothing negative that I've seen, certainly no sludge in my oil or filters. Also, interesting read about esterizing PEA. I'm sure if there was a real issue we would know about it by now seeing how Chevron is a top 2 popular brand of gas that uses PEA in all of it. but as always, I will post something if it is interesting to discuss, and always good to be informed on all of the risks.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of GAS , I typically get gas at a Shell station due to things I've read here a few years ago with supporting information stating Shell GAS was #1 on some sort of testing ....anyone here know where Shell Gas stands in the rankings now ?

Thanks [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Speaking of GAS , I typically get gas at a Shell station due to things I've read here a few years ago with supporting information stating Shell GAS was #1 on some sort of testing ....anyone here know where Shell Gas stands in the rankings now ?

Thanks [emoji1303]

By me, I think shell sucks, could just be the particular station. Filled up twice there and truck did not like it. I use a local private station that has non ethanol and a high turnover but when out of town, I try to stick with Exxon Mobil, never had issue with them.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks [emoji1303]

I've bought gas from every brand/station around here and I always get better mileage with Shell. Honestly I can't tell any difference in mileage between the Spinx station across the street (.10c discount using their discount card all day every day no limit at least up to the 40 gallons that I've bought in one day)and my local BP,Exxon,Sunoco,etc. Sometimes with the discount midgrade gas is still .25c a gallon cheaper that midgrade at the Shell across the street or any of the other TT stations in the area. For those kind of savings I'll just put in some cleaner ever so many miles. I can tell no difference in power from any one brand to the next or from 87 octane to 89. I will say that when I do use 87 its always Top Tier. After looking over the internet I couldn't find anything where anyone would say one brand was any better than the others except for the part about Top Tier being the best which we knew already to start with.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By me, I think shell sucks, could just be the particular station. Filled up twice there and truck did not like it. I use a local private station that has non ethanol and a high turnover but when out of town, I try to stick with Exxon Mobil, never had issue with them.
E0 is always better but it costs too ******* much and its 87 octane around here. E10 87 is 2.55 here and E0 is like $3.25 at my local Shell station. If it was 89 and costs the same as premium I would run it all day long.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
E0 is always better but it costs too ******* much and its 87 octane around here. E10 87 is 2.55 here and E0 is like $3.25 at my local Shell station. If it was 89 and costs the same as premium I would run it all day long.
I guess it’s better for vehicles that are equipped to run ethanol but none of my vehicles liked it and definitely not any of my equipment will ever drink it.

Also nowadays it’s not a choice at some stations and I hate it! Wawa is one and quite a few others don’t have non ethanol.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I get the best milage with shell. But i use 93 octane. When i used 89 i could not tell a difference between shell, mobil or BP

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the best milage with shell. But i use 93 octane. When i used 89 i could not tell a difference between shell, mobil or BP

Damn now I know I'm a cheapskate. I imagine it costs a small fortune to feed that 6.4 1 TON beast TT premium!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think we are getting too optimistic maybe, some hemi's have hemi tick because of **** quality from FCA. I think we have gotten lucky to find an oil that relieves it. Certainly tri-nuclear moly works well in a hemi as in other vehicles, there is a ton of stuff posted on moly including the moly bible that syn found. of most interest to your question if you can find it again is white paper showing tri-nuclear moly versus bi-nuclear moly from Infinium. If you believe white papers 75ppm tri nuclear moly is very very effective at lower the coefficient of friction. I would bet that paper is in bob's white paper section, but do not know for sure. I can't blame tri-nuclear moly because some engines tick with it in the formula, just as they do with no moly, or even organic moly as in PYB and Redline. If I can find the paper again I will be post it, but believe me tri-nuclear moly is an upgrade.

This might be it? http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf

But what I find interesting is slide #8 where they said the higher (200ppm) concentration ends up with basically the same coeff of friction as the lower (50ppm) concentration BUT it took longer to get there. Im guessing this stuff is expensive so we'll rarely (if ever) see 200ppm of it in any oil. Im also guessing that 500ppm of moly in Redline is NOT tri-nuclear.

Im going to order some RL 5-30 at some point, just not sure if I want to use it this winter or wait until spring.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Damn now I know I'm a cheapskate. I imagine it costs a small fortune to feed that 6.4 1 TON beast TT premium!

Its not bad when you only put a little less than 8,000 a year on it.

I know i probably dont need 93. But see..... i have this problem.

I belong to this forum on da interweb were’s we got ta have the best of the best for our trucks. We even buy this oil that is super expensive and then dump it out every 4-5,000 miles ( or 6 months).

I know, its crazy

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since we're talking UOAs here, I thought I'd share my first one...this is from a '16 Reb and the oil in question was QSAD 5W-20. Changed it with 30K miles on the truck and 4,828 on the oil. As an aside, I never had the Hemi tick and the motor has been relatively quiet (for a 5.7) since I bought the rig new. At that oil change, I went to QSUD 5W-30 since it's readily available, so that's what I'm running now, along with a Fram Ultra filter. My goal is to stretch the OIC a little since I don't find changing it any more enjoyable than mowing my lawn.

RR-0001 for RF-1.jpg

Almost forgot, my rig hardly ever tows or runs with more than a few folks in it at a time...it's really just a commuter truck!

TXCOMT

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This might be it? http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf

But what I find interesting is slide #8 where they said the higher (200ppm) concentration ends up with basically the same coeff of friction as the lower (50ppm) concentration BUT it took longer to get there. Im guessing this stuff is expensive so we'll rarely (if ever) see 200ppm of it in any oil. Im also guessing that 500ppm of moly in Redline is NOT tri-nuclear.

Im going to order some RL 5-30 at some point, just not sure if I want to use it this winter or wait until spring.
Sooner the better when it comes to Redline [emoji16][emoji16]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since we're talking UOAs here, I thought I'd share my first one...this is from a '16 Reb and the oil in question was QSAD 5W-20. Changed it with 30K miles on the truck and 4,828 on the oil. As an aside, I never had the Hemi tick and the motor has been relatively quiet (for a 5.7) since I bought the rig new. At that oil change, I went to QSUD 5W-30 since it's readily available, so that's what I'm running now, along with a Fram Ultra filter. My goal is to stretch the OIC a little since I don't find changing it any more enjoyable than mowing my lawn.

View attachment 140624

Almost forgot, my rig hardly ever tows or runs with more than a few folks in it at a time...it's really just a commuter truck!

TXCOMT
Nothing wrong with that report that's for sure !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Yes that is it, and as you can see part of that was a Cam wear test and how low levels of moly in oil effect that wear. They tested 12 cams and averaged the wear results over 100 engine hours or whatever their perimeter was. Now anyone with a hemi should read that because this is all of us hemi tick or not. We know cams are at least a weak point, we all should be moly'd up imo.

Two things from that study, the friction of coefficient was quicker with the higher moly level, and less. Final friction of coefficient numbers...

No moly .16
75ppm .07
200ppm .06

So the more moly in the oil the friction of coefficient goes in the direction we want. One reason why I do miss it when redline had 880ppm moly. Too bad they don't have those numbers, but I would wager a guess when it comes to moly more is better in hemi's, I'm sure to a point, but I certainly think 600ppm range could only be a benefit.