Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The excess oil hitting the cover is not what is cooling the gears so IMO who cares if the cover is shaped like the gear or squared off.
What matters is the oil the ring gear is carrying and throwing at the pinion and pinion bearings, the ring gear is going to pull fluid and throw fliud regardless of the cover shape I mean the top of the housing is not round just like the cover.

They will come out with there own cover that shaped different and claim all others fail and overheat the gears.

I’ve got to say I disagree. The shape of the cover absolutely has to do with how well the fluid follows the gear. That differential is shaped that way so the fluid makes a big circle over and over again and the whole time the rear cover and entire diff shape for that matter is acting like a “guide” for the fluid.

It’s no different than air flow dynamics. I make a lot of stuff that relate to the same principle a work ever day for air and water.

IMO.......IMO......

The guy in this video series is right. And in the end if he does show a product they sell with that same shape.....I would buy it over everything else if I wanted an aftermarket cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The quick consensus at BITOG is that it is, indeed, tri-nuclear.

Giving the thread link because there is some other interesting info about PUP/0W-40, like the fact that some racing teams spec it: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-standard-pennzoil-ultra-platinum#Post4868729

I'm not sure that is a consensus, and they certainly don't use mos2 in suspension in any engine oil anymore. They use oil soluble moly salts such as thiophosphates and thiocarbamates, again don't know for sure as everything is a trade secret. I'm not saying it isn't tn moly, just the standard trade secrets that you and I will rarely know. If you want to know about redline, Dave from redline actually spills his trade secrets fairly easily, he has told us the moly in redline is not tn moly but an organic oil soluble moly. You can try contacting Pennzoil, their PR was answering questions back when they were promoting PUP, I'm not sure what you will get out of them, but you wont know if you don't try. I can say PUP doesn't equal Redline as for killing hemi tick, so to be honest the minutia of the formulas isn't something I'm that concerned with. If it means something to you, I would encourage you to contact the oil companies.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Speaking of GAS , I typically get gas at a Shell station due to things I've read here a few years ago with supporting information stating Shell GAS was #1 on some sort of testing ....anyone here know where Shell Gas stands in the rankings now ?

Thanks [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I don't know where it stands technically however I get the best mileage with it over bp or Exxon. Gonna try some marathon and see how it does. If at all possible I use top tier gas exclusively.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have mostly Shell and Mobil near me. I find Mobil runs slightly better in my truck out of the two. However while going across the country and stopping at many different truck stops, my truck seemed to like Sunoco the best. Less detonation and slightly better mileage. I run 91/93 everywhere because I'm tuned...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was thinking of the 0W-40 last night....it has such high moly levels, but its an "in between:" number...not 500 (obviously organic moly) and not 75 (obviously trinuclear).

Did they put 240ppm of trinuclear moly into the SRT oil?

If 0W-40 has about 240ppm and 5-30 PUP has 75 ppm, and we use a 4 qt 5-30 and 3 qt 0-40, about what would the total moly amount be?

Or maybe just better off sticking with PUP 5-30 and using Biotech or maybe even LiquiMoly Ceratec
Things that make me go ...hmmm?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This stuff gets really confusing real fast lol, I just go with what works for my particular engine and so far rl 5/30 is way smoother than what the dodge dealer used, and I don’t know what it was but it came out like water, cold.

I only have a few hundred miles on rl and it gets better and better so I’m sure by the time it has plated it will be this engines life blood. Not even going to try anything else.

Side note: only reason I went rl is because of the hard work in experimentation, r@d, etc from you guys, if not, then I wouldn’t have gone this route, but DAMN GLAD I did!:)
I just wish others were not hard headed ( unlike you sir )
If the Redline doubters / haters just tried it instead of bashing it , we would have MANY more post like yours here ...

Some of our biggest REDLINE supporters here BASHED Redline for a couple years all the while trying every oil under the sun .

Once they try it .....it's an about face ...they promote Redline here and abroad ....too damn funny !

I've used Redline for over 20 years ..even back when they were only into racing ( so was I ) my motorcross sponcer was sponcered by (Redline oil company ) yep that's what it was called when I was a teenager nearly 30 years ago .

Damn I'm getting old .

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting thread on PEA at bob's. Warning about changing your oil after PEA use. I think I can safely say I used the hell out of PEA to the point it made my oil smell funny, nothing negative that I've seen, certainly no sludge in my oil or filters. Also, interesting read about esterizing PEA. I'm sure if there was a real issue we would know about it by now seeing how Chevron is a top 2 popular brand of gas that uses PEA in all of it. but as always, I will post something if it is interesting to discuss, and always good to be informed on all of the risks.
I would think the only time you'd have a problem with it in you're oil is if you had a large buildup of carbon that you had cleaned out. Staying on top of it with TT gas and a routine for periodic treatments you should never have that buildup. JMO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^Yep once you find the sweet spot, stay with it. RL turned out to be the right choice for two of my engines.
It doesn't work for all situations , but it really is HEMI HONEY .....IMHO , hey I'm terribly biassed as I've been using REDLINE oil products most of my Life [emoji1303][emoji1303]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my redline in today. Raining like crazy outside. But gonna get it done after I drop the wifey off at work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good luck Sir !

Chances are you will really like Redline [emoji1303]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who has trinuclear moly in levels like 200ppm +? The only way you can trust it is if they post it. Anyone can "say" it is, but if they post it in their literature then it is more credible. One way Redline can improve, move over to 500ppm tri-nuclear moly. I would hope they would consider it at some point. I assume every major brand with 60ppm in their voa/uoa's is tri-nuclear.
I do agree Sir ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now! Let me guess: Gales company will be producing there own brand of Differential covers that are a far superior design compared to all these others @ 2X the $$$.

Let’s wait & see!
Either that or they will claim the OEM COVER is the better option ???

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nah Corey is on to something he posted another great three part test with someone other then G banks. In a way to his own detriment as he upgraded to a magtec.
That's Mag-Hyteck my friend [emoji1303]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I'm thinking the ultimate end of this video series is....

Kinda cool to see what happens to the gear oil tho
I just can't wait , as I've been wanting to install the Mag-Hyteck diff cover ....only because I tow often ...and sometimes hevier than I should with my little 1500 ..I just ( Imo ) don't tow hevier than I should often enough to constitute a 2500