Votes: 398 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Right now it’s running cooler oil temps, my 1500 was hitting 240s on oil temps doing the same run with the same trailer.
That was even after pulling most of the front shutters and a 160* T stat (i think that’s what it was).

Yes it’s weird they run the 1500s so hot I wonder if it’s all just for the fuel mileage?
I think it runs hotter to meet EPA pollution standards.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think it runs hotter to meet EPA pollution standards.

I understood it was to try to get EPA C.A.F.E. up by throwing all sorts of these seemingly miniscule fuel economy micro-improvements together, including VVT, MDS, and 0W oils. They won't publish any data, of course, but I'd wager all of these together wouldn't add up to 1% improvement for 20% more engine cost, complexity and failure.

btw - as blood type 'A', I'm supposed to be a vegetarian. But I'm a meat hunter, which is why I only fry up 'possums.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I understood it was to try to get EPA C.A.F.E. up by throwing all sorts of these seemingly miniscule fuel economy micro-improvements together, including VVT, MDS, and 0W oils. They won't publish any data, of course, but I'd wager all of these together wouldn't add up to 1% improvement for 20% more engine cost, complexity and failure.
MDS works and is way more reliable than AFM. It offers tangible fuel economy under normal conditions without towing.

VVT and VVL were designed to primarely imrpove engine power and efficiency. Better fuel economy is a secondary benefit.

I've driven both the old Pentastar V6 with VVT in a 2022 Charger GT and I got the newest one with VVT and VVL in my 2022 Durango. There is more low-end torque in the Durango, so much so that it leaves the Charger in the dust. The Charger felt like driving a bloated heavy pig. Not all these technologies are bad and some add tangible powet to an engine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

btw - as blood type 'A', I'm supposed to be a vegetarian. But I'm a meat hunter, which is why I only fry up 'possums.
You know more than I do, so you’re most likely correct.

Enjoy your possum !!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know a lot pf you are down on e85, but I think it is a legit answer when the oil is harder to get. The last challenger and charger are to be e85.

I guess its a damn good thing I bought an oil burner to reward myself instead of replacing my old SRT chally... Around here diesel is a metric f***ton cheaper than 89 or 93 and E85 is a wet dream at best in Texas corn country. I was pretty damn tempted by the Redeye widebody my local dealer can't seem to sell, but my wife would've prolly murdered me if my truck disappeared for
something as "unuseful" as that lol.

And with family in the fuel/oil business its not access. Its the fact we've lost over a million barrels a day of refining capacity because of "evil" fossil fuels. Even direct carbon capture to synthetic fuel is evil to this ill-informed administration because "stuff burns"

**EDIT** That sounded harsh and I didn't mean it too. As we've contributed I very much respect @Burla and his contributions. I was just stating the facts as someone who has dealt with this s***show of a situation from both sides as it's not a simple supply or demand issue. We've got state/local agencies (Fire Departments for example) that have had to massively increase their budget after going from diesel to gas or diesel to electric because "it's the right thing to do". Hell the only reason my utility bill doesn't make me puke blood is because I have a big rooftop solar installation and had the credit to finance it for less than dirt rates after paying out of pocket to build/insulate well in excess of code here in Texas in an unincorporated area.

Last edited:

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Though the pentasutar in my truck is capable of using E85 I have never run it simply because it never seems to be available where I travel. I would give it a try if for nothing more than to determine if the loss in MPG negates the lower cost at the pump.
I would like to know how that equation works out.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know a lot pf you are down on e85, but I think it is a legit answer when the oil is harder to get. The last challenger and charger are to be e85.
That ones questionable,as Dodges Direct Connection still hasn't released their stage 1 let alone stage 2 and 3 kits.Rumour mill is saying they can't get the kits past the EPA.At this point in time,it's only speculation that they'll release a E-85 Hellcat,hopefully they do,but i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it,as they can't even fill the Hellcat Jailbreak or Super Stock orders they have on the books right now

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
E85 might suck gas mileage wise but it’s like 105 octane and if your tuned for it you can make some serious power compared to 93. We have it here in SC and it’s actually cheaper than 87. I don’t run it because I don’t want to tune my truck and possibly void my warranty. If I was out of the warranty period I would definitely consider it and say to hell with gas mileage.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
E85 might suck gas mileage wise but it’s like 105 octane and if your tuned for it you can make some serious power compared to 93. We have it here in SC and it’s actually cheaper than 87. I don’t run it because I don’t want to tune my truck and possibly void my warranty. If I was out of the warranty period I would definitely consider it and say to hell with gas mileage.

It's cheaper because we all already pay for it via tax lobbying. So, I guess might as well recoup some tax money. But the mileage is usually a wash - you gotta fill the tank that much more often due to much less fuel economy.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You know more than I do, so you’re most likely correct.

Enjoy your possum !!

Likely only know more than you about possums. We never had possums this far north until 10 years or so ago. Then they started raiding the chicken coop and I started blasting them. Finally got a guard goose that beat the hell out of one one night. Had to finish it off, though. Local tree-huggers said don't shoot them - they eat ticks!! Are you frigging kidding me? How many ticks can possums eat to make a dent in the tick count? DNR reports tick infestations continue to increase.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Likely only know more than you about possums. We never had possums this far north until 10 years or so ago. Then they started raiding the chicken coop and I started blasting them. Finally got a guard goose that beat the hell out of one one night. Had to finish it off, though. Local tree-huggers said don't shoot them - they eat ticks!! Are you frigging kidding me? How many ticks can possums eat to make a dent in the tick count? DNR reports tick infestations continue to increase.
Guard Geese are awesome! I had a pair to keep foxes away from the chooks, but they work good for people too. The male would sit on my knee for a pat but he used to smack strangers in the shins with his wing-elbow. If anyone came to the gate he'd be running at them with wings out honking and hissing. Funny things.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You dont need to pass anymore, you just have to self identify as passed and you are good.

I'm about to self identify me into a senior discount at ihop, see ya later.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Left the camper at the lake and pulled the boat home, temps all stayed the same.
Going back in 2 weeks and will be on Redine pulling the boat back down so will see if that makes any temp difference on the oil, will be on 5w40 .

Attachments

• 065109C3-6E39-4C0C-8BBC-8D4E782EE508.jpeg
    065109C3-6E39-4C0C-8BBC-8D4E782EE508.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 6

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just because I hate lexus I post this, without oil a bmw outlasts the lexus, and yes it is one single event so I'm not going to say it has widespread implications, I just do not understand why someone would pay extra for a name when they can buy a toyota for much less same exact frame and engine, or spend a the same and get real engineering in a bmw or a little more and get a mercedes. Yes I am carrying baggage on this one as the wife has told me for years she wants a lexus after she got a brand new toyota that she picked out.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Breemers and Mercedes have terrible reliability records. Google them.
Germans still won't accept reliability as a primary product attribute. Japanese did via American guidance post WWII.
Germans only do performance and innovation.