Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Now to be fair, show @Hemi395 's newer oil choice

That shaeffers 0w40 does not look like a winner, holds that screw diver upright. Now in fairness he went too low in that test -56.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How about pennzoil 0w20 versus amsoil...

But the dude is just going too cold with his tests.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How about pennzoil 0w20 versus amsoil...

But the dude is just going too cold with his tests.

I asked him multiple times for m1 FS 0w40. Id much prefer he tests it at -20 or -30

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do you guys feel about seafoam in gas and crankcase? Stumbled across this video where Project Farm clears up lifter tick in a ranger, I'm shocked at how well that worked but those lifters must not have had any physical damage if seafoam can clear it up?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Not sure about using fuel system cleaner in a crankcase. Could be too aggressive? I think they make motor flush additives. I used some in my crappy GM 5.3 DOD engine to loosen the rings enough to get rid of it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How do you guys feel about seafoam in gas and crankcase? Stumbled across this video where Project Farm clears up lifter tick in a ranger, I'm shocked at how well that worked but those lifters must not have had any physical damage if seafoam can clear it up?

Many years ago we would use this stuff: https://rislone.com/products/maximum-performance-engine-treatment/

Personally I would not use Seafoam in my oil, Seafoam contains
Naphtha25 – 35 %
Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)10 – 20 %

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

There was a feller here, I haven't seen him post anything lately, that he used Sea Foam about five hundred miles shy of his HEMI's oci.

I have used it in the gas tank ... couldn't tell any difference how my HEMI ran.

Waste of money? Maybe/maybe not. I wouldn't use it in the engine crankcase.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now to be fair, show @Hemi395 's newer oil choice

That shaeffers 0w40 does not look like a winner, holds that screw diver upright. Now in fairness he went too low in that test -56.

Honestly that SS 0w40 is impressive stuff

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

somebody did have it clear their tick so they said, maybe more should try it, dunno. It cleans and thins a but, it wont be adding film or plate or anything like that.

I don't see it as a lubrication strategy, maybe an maintenance item. If all my dyi oil looks good, I don't think I'd be using a flush, but if I had signs of sludge I'd run some flush, maybe sea foam or something stronger kano labs stuff.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In the test I have seen comparing Pennzoil vs Pennzoil, the Ultra Platinum flows cold much better than Platinum. The synthetic blend flowed better than Platinum when cold.

I see another Project Farm aficionado. Because you can appreciate the excellent coffee pot cook-offs that Todd engages in, you might enjoy the following video:

This undoubtedly shows who's the undisputed king of motor oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, we tested amsoil versus redline in hemi tick, and I'm sure you can respect the results, redline simply killed most ticks and amsoil not. There is some good news lately as our tester number one has his seal of approval on 0w40 amsoil for it's tick killing ability, but in a hemi tick engine you mise well put sand in there over 20 or 30 weight amsoils. I'm sure you will appreciate this as well? Amsoil makes some fine products but hemi's don't lie, lesser formulas are exposed. That api amsoil fuel economy resource conserving climate change SS 5w30 and 5w20 just doesnt get the job done on hemi tick engines.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Not sure about using fuel system cleaner in a crankcase. Could be too aggressive? I think they make motor flush additives. I used some in my crappy GM 5.3 DOD engine to loosen the rings enough to get rid of it.
My BIL adds MMO to the crankcase. He loves the stuff. I think he uses it as aftershave, too!

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, we tested amsoil versus redline in hemi tick, and I'm sure you can respect the results, redline simply killed most ticks and amsoil not. There is some good news lately as our tester number one has his seal of approval on 0w40 amsoil for it's tick killing ability, but in a hemi tick engine you mise well put sand in there over 20 or 30 weight amsoils. I'm sure you will appreciate this as well? Amsoil makes some fine products but hemi's don't lie, lesser formulas are exposed. That api amsoil fuel economy resource conserving climate change SS 5w30 and 5w20 just doesnt get the job done on hemi tick engines.
What is the "HEMI Tick" exactly? What causes it? Or is it just how the HEMI naturally sounds? What is the difference between AMSOIL SS 5W-20/5W-30/0W-40 and Red Line Oil's corresponding viscosities?

My BIL adds MMO to the crankcase. He loves the stuff. I think he uses it as aftershave, too!
Marvel Mystery Oil is 99% Kerosene, about 100ppm of red dye, and the rest is Dichlorobenzene.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
^^^ Are you kidding? ^^^

You haven't heard or read here in the RAMforum(s) about HEMI tick?

Do you even own a RAM with an HEMI?

I think that you might could educate yourself reading about the hemi tick issue(s) with the Gen lll Eagle engines in the forum?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is the "HEMI Tick" exactly? What causes it? Or is it just how the HEMI naturally sounds? What is the difference between AMSOIL SS 5W-20/5W-30/0W-40 and Red Line Oil's corresponding viscosities?

Marvel Mystery Oil is 99% Kerosene, about 100ppm of red dye, and the rest is Dichlorobenzene.
Read this, note polls, they are public, meaning 100's of respected ram members took part in testing because hemi tick is a scourge on ram owners. In the beginning we tested many oils and combo's, but as time passed most of us only went with what worked best, note the poll date was 8 years into our testing. Early results are in this thread. It is really about formula and not brand, there is a scientific reason why redline stops knocking lifters in the bore and other oils don't.

Hemi tick is a cam lobe pushing a lifter into the bore but the bore is not properly lubricated. As it turns out the heavy EP additives and base oils in redline compensate for the deficiency in oil more then all other choices with an 80% success rate. Now, a small number of those benefit from viscosity increases, it just depends on how bad the tick is. The worst the tick, the more heavy additives and saturated base oils work, the lesser the tick the more a heavy viscosity will work. In many cases it was 5w20 that killed the tick over any other oil, but some rams were more successful with 5w30, it is those trucks with lesser ticks then others. The greater the pressure, the more the conditions for EP additives to thrive.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Read this, note polls, they are public, meaning 100's of respected ram members took part in testing because hemi tick is a scourge on ram owners. In the beginning we tested many oils and combo's, but as time passed most of us only went with what worked best, note the poll date was 8 years into our testing. Early results are in this thread. It is really about formula and not brand, there is a scientific reason why redline stops knocking lifters in the bore and other oils don't.

Hemi tick is a cam lobe pushing a lifter into the bore but the bore is not properly lubricated. As it turns out the heavy EP additives and base oils in redline compensate for the deficiency in oil more then all other choices with an 80% success rate. Now, a small number of those benefit from viscosity increases, it just depends on how bad the tick is. The worst the tick, the more heavy additives and saturated base oils work, the lesser the tick the more a heavy viscosity will work. In many cases it was 5w20 that killed the tick over any other oil, but some rams were more successful with 5w30, it is those trucks with lesser ticks then others. The greater the pressure, the more the conditions for EP additives to thrive.
Thanks. So, you're saying that RedLine can correct, or help correct, a mechanical problem? What's saturated base oils? I couldn't find anything on that.

Can you please the difference between Amsoil 5W-20, 5W-30, 0W-40, and Red Line 5W-20, 5W-30, and 0W-40? I'd like to know why where one works, the other doesn't.

Thank you.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anticipation Popcorn GIF