Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So this actually isnt out of the realm of possibility. His suggestion that a chlorinated parrifin coated metal surface can survive without an oil pump. There is "some" validity to this, just as you seen in those old tests where they ran engines with no oil and prolong. However, that doesnt change the fact that CP's are corrosive, both things can be true, and in fact are true. CP's lower the coefficient of friction over any other thing we discuss, moly, zinc, zddp etc. But they are also corrosive when they break down. When will an engine die when you run w/o oil? Kinda silly test for every day engine, but it can show what ep additives can do. I think there was even a test where they had two engines, I wonder if I can find that one. Maybe it was slick 50, same premis just different additive. As for product I use, I dont use any, just oil and a filter. I do use an oil that has heavy use of EP additives and base oils, but no other products.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Finally I did manage to do something different. I am asking when other components fail, like a oil pump. Which means the engine has no oil pressure to speak of, would you be able to continue your journey without catastrophic failure to your engine? I would the same products as you with 1 exception. I would add Motorkote.

There is no magic gum drop sauce out there that allows you to "continue your journey" with no oil pump. Sorry you fell for the marketing.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If my HEMI engine oil pump "takes an dump" on my current oil strategy, or any oil strategy, I'm not going to keep rolling it on down the highway to see how far I'll get ... not a good thing to do for an engine with potential cam/lifter failure.

I'd have it towed for repairs and hope for the best.
I would have my Hemi towed at this point in my life as well. I won't need to hope for the best, as I already have tested the limits.
I gave you a scenario that happened to me. Driving a Cheby 3500 Dirtymax pulling a trailer with 2 Ford Excursions on Thanksgiving at 0130 just outside Indianapolis In. I hear a noise and lose oil pressure. Decision time. Wait for tow-truck which buddy at 1 towing company charges $600 just to start up their tow-truck + mileage and Holiday premium. Would have equaled the cost of rebuilding Dirtymax anyway. I drove all the way to my shop in Dayton Ohio with no issues, pulling that loaded trailer.
After Thanksgiving weekend I installed new oil pump, refilled engine with new oil, oil filter and more Motorkote with zero harm to engine. That was back in '04. That Dirtymax is still on the road working harder than I ever dreamed of.
I know for a fact 1 of the 7 time Nascar Champions team used and still use this product in their race cars. This stuff is used in ALOT of racing Hemi's as well. alot of teams use this stuff and are tight lipped about it.
My '01 Ford XLT with 5.4 Triten, one of Fords hated engines is still running strong. My neighbors nephews truck was honored at Ford Sharonville Transmission Plant with exact same truck as mine. where all he did was maintenance and run Motorkote. Was honored for 1 million miles total stock truck.
I am speaking from real world experience. Not some lab tests done by some independent study to bash one product over another. I am happy for you that your oil set up works well for you. Like I said I would run your same set up with 1 exception. I would add Motorkote and roll on
Thank you JHoward for chiming in on this subject.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would have my Hemi towed at this point in my life as well. I won't need to hope for the best, as I already have tested the limits.
I gave you a scenario that happened to me. Driving a Cheby 3500 Dirtymax pulling a trailer with 2 Ford Excursions on Thanksgiving at 0130 just outside Indianapolis In. I hear a noise and lose oil pressure. Decision time. Wait for tow-truck which buddy at 1 towing company charges $600 just to start up their tow-truck + mileage and Holiday premium. Would have equaled the cost of rebuilding Dirtymax anyway. I drove all the way to my shop in Dayton Ohio with no issues, pulling that loaded trailer.
After Thanksgiving weekend I installed new oil pump, refilled engine with new oil, oil filter and more Motorkote with zero harm to engine. That was back in '04. That Dirtymax is still on the road working harder than I ever dreamed of.
I know for a fact 1 of the 7 time Nascar Champions team used and still use this product in their race cars. This stuff is used in ALOT of racing Hemi's as well. alot of teams use this stuff and are tight lipped about it.
My '01 Ford XLT with 5.4 Triten, one of Fords hated engines is still running strong. My neighbors nephews truck was honored at Ford Sharonville Transmission Plant with exact same truck as mine. where all he did was maintenance and run Motorkote. Was honored for 1 million miles total stock truck.
I am speaking from real world experience. Not some lab tests done by some independent study to bash one product over another. I am happy for you that your oil set up works well for you. Like I said I would run your same set up with 1 exception. I would add Motorkote and roll on
Thank you JHoward for chiming in on this subject.

You pulled a min of 13,000 pounds, approx 117 miles, without an oil pump and no damage to the engine? Quite unlikely.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Besides reducing the service life of your motor oil, and cracking or hardening the rear main seal, valve stem seals, and other critical engine seals, that hydrochloric acid can damage ferrous metals and aluminum alloys, turning them an ugly yellow color. Chlorinated paraffins don’t dissolve in water either, turning the used motor containing them into hazardous waste. All in all, chlorinated paraffin should be avoided at all costs.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MOTORKOTE® HYPER LUBRICANT®

• Is safe & effective, period.
• Does NOT contain PTFE, silicone, graphite, molybdenum, or any other harmful substrate chemicals.
• Has NO long or short term corrosive effect on metal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
good explanation...

What Are Chlorinated Paraffin Additives?​

A common component of many additives is chlorinated paraffin. These chlorinated hydrocarbons are created by adding chlorine to a paraffin obtained through petroleum distillation, which results in hydrochloric acid. Once the acid is removed, stabilizers are added, and the product can be used as a friction reducer in an additive.

As the oil heats up, the chlorine reacts with the metal, creating a metal chloride film on the surface. This obviously covers those ‘ridges and valleys’, reducing friction between the moving parts. But once the chlorine has bonded to the metal, the hydrocarbons turn into sludge, and the excess chlorine can react with trace soluble metals in the oil, creating hydrochloric acid once again. This chlorinated paraffin depletes the alkaline in the oil, causing the oil to break down much faster than it should. Chlorine also eats away at rubber, neoprene and cork, which are the main components of engine seals.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
MOTORKOTE® HYPER LUBRICANT®

• Is safe & effective, period.
• Does NOT contain PTFE, silicone, graphite, molybdenum, or any other harmful substrate chemicals.
• Has NO long or short term corrosive effect on metal.
I might suggest you take away the "name" and talk about the formula. The fact is the chlorinated parrifin used is a long chain chlorine, so either the chain never breaks meaning it is stable, or it does break, and that creates acid. One way to prove it is safe, run a 10k mile interval and get the tan numbers at a lab. It can prove or disprove what you or what we think. It is not expensive.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no magic gum drop sauce out there that allows you to "continue your journey" with no oil pump. Sorry you fell for the marketing.
I did NOT fall for the marketing. Unless you were their, never mind. I just realized something here

Attachments

• Beating a dead horse.jpg
    Beating a dead horse.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another question would be why did someone chose motorkote and why are they sold on it. Like just suppoer the name? What about the science encouraged you to use it?

You saw the engine running without oil experiment? This I understand. Probably why I tried prolong in the early 90's. Then all of these were banned from stores for a while. Now made a half comeback.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might suggest you take away the "name" and talk about the formula. The fact is the chlorinated parrifin used is a long chain chlorine, so either the chain never breaks meaning it is stable, or it does break, and that creates acid. One way to prove it is safe, run a 10k mile interval and get the tan numbers at a lab. It can prove or disprove what you or what we think. It is not expensive.
I'm done with this
1709079814529.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did NOT fall for the marketing. Unless you were their, never mind. I just realized something here
Are you sure the sensor didn't fail,and gave you a deceptive 0 psi reading.Hard to believe any engine including a Dirty Max would make it 117 miles,with absolutely 0 oil pressure,it had to have had some oil pressure to keep a little bit of oil cushion between the bearing shell and the crank,as no coating is gonna last 117 miles,especially if the truck still had a trailer hooked to it. The bearing heat would of been out of this world with no oil film,so i'm guessing the sensor might of been giving you a deceptive 0 psi reading.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
well, ok.

But, I have not said anything you said wasnt true, it is only that you are not open to hearing what the white paper says and even a simple test most of us do that would show the benefit or risk of the product. We have a blackstone thread. Run TAN numbers on a 10k mile interval, it will show you the engine wear for like 30 bucks and acid level. Either way, have a good one. At bitog a guy loved motorkote, says it still has some uses, but his wear went through the roof in a uoa.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are you sure the sensor didn't fail,and gave you a deceptive 0 psi reading.Hard to believe any engine including a Dirty Max would make it 117 miles,with absolutely 0 oil pressure,it had to have had some oil pressure to keep a little bit of oil cushion between the bearing shell and the crank,as no coating is gonna last 117 miles,especially if the truck still had a trailer hooked to it. The bearing heat would of been out of this world with no oil film,so i'm guessing the sensor might of been giving you a deceptive 0 psi reading.
I dunno, a bunch of youtubes that show engines running for 2-3 hours with no oil. Most are selling an additive. I think we understand, maybe the engine wont fail right away, but at some point in a week it will fail. Just kinda silly to equate the fact an engine can run without oil proves it works great with oil. I promise you an engine will run longer with oil then without, lol.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

An oil doesn't just lubricate, it also has a cooling effect on an engine. Without oil, at that load and distance something would have seized or damaged. It's kind of like saying you ran that same test without coolant, I don't think many would just accept that at face value, something in that experiment was not 100% as described.

I'm not calling you a liar, just saying it doesn't add up and there is something you might be missing (like wild one suggested, maybe a faulty sensor or something).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I dunno, a bunch of youtubes that show engines running for 2-3 hours with no oil. Most are selling an additive. I think we understand, maybe the engine wont fail right away, but at some point in a week it will fail. Just kinda silly to equate the fact an engine can run without oil proves it works great with oil. I promise you an engine will run longer with oil then without, lol.
Most of them are just idling though Mike,and none have a trailer hooked to their back bumper,lol. 117 miles is gonna be close to 2 hours or more of loaded run time,hard to believe any coating is gonna protect the upper bearing half that long,it might protect the lower bearing half,but not the upper one,or the lower bearing half of the mains.