Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What year is your Harley, on my 2014 FXDL that tranny shifts as smooth as a hot knife thru warm butter and simple to find neutral, on the other hand my 21 Road Glide Limited is noiser shifting and a bit more tricky to find neutral. I run Amsoil V Twin primary and their transmission oil in the Limited but the Dyna just use Formula + in primary and transmission. Not sure if any big changes in trans between 2014 and 2021, guess is just the nature of the beast.

2021 FLHC Heritage Softail Classic 107

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Guess I just wasted my money changing my oil since apparently engines run just fine without it.

I went 7500 this round just cuz life got in the way. Was down ~2qts and the catch can was about half full. Oil looked fine other than being a little dark. Fresh 5W30 PUP, Lubeguard, RP 20-820 and good to go. It's funny how finicky these Hemis are with fluids, I just use whatever the cheapest synthetic is in my LS motors and they don't care

oil 3.jpg

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Guess I just wasted my money changing my oil since apparently engines run just fine without it.

I went 7500 this round just cuz life got in the way. Was down ~2qts and the catch can was about half full. Oil looked fine other than being a little dark. Fresh 5W30 PUP, Lubeguard, RP 20-820 and good to go. It's funny how finicky these Hemis are with fluids, I just use whatever the cheapest synthetic is in my LS motors and they don't care

View attachment 538617

It looks that your oil catch can is doing it's thing.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
An oil doesn't just lubricate, it also has a cooling effect on an engine. Without oil, at that load and distance something would have seized or damaged. It's kind of like saying you ran that same test without coolant, I don't think many would just accept that at face value, something in that experiment was not 100% as described.

I'm not calling you a liar, just saying it doesn't add up and there is something you might be missing (like wild one suggested, maybe a faulty sensor or something).
No faulty sensor or anything like that. In fact I was in the running to be on with Mr. Motorkote Ed Gibbs when Motorkote was on 700 wlw weekend with Bubba Bo. I sent my proof, two different mechanics looked over my truck checking sensors gauges and everything else. I was beat by another trucks mileage on what should have been a catastrophic engine failure.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No faulty sensor or anything like that. In fact I was in the running to be on with Mr. Motorkote Ed Gibbs when Motorkote was on 700 wlw weekend with Bubba Bo. I sent my proof, two different mechanics looked over my truck checking sensors gauges and everything else. I was beat by another trucks mileage on what should have been a catastrophic engine failure.

You're not going to have a snowball's chance in that-warm-fiery-place of convincing me your story is true as told. It doesn't add up. Sorry.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did anybody pull the oil pressure sensor and install a mechanical gauge in it's spot and check the oil pressure manually.
Not saying your wrong,but look at it from everybody else's perspective.
Would you believe somebody if they told you they'd towed 117 miles with no oil pressure,highly unlikely.
You might want to leave out the fact you were in the running to be on a TV show promoting MotorKote,as i know from my perspective,it almost sounds like you're tied in with them,and that makes it even harder to believe you

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're not going to have a snowball's chance in that-warm-fiery-place of convincing me your story is true as told. It doesn't add up. Sorry.
I understand you completely. You and a couple of others here, I could walk on water and that wouldn’t be enough to convince you. Like I said earlier, I was there I done did do, and could care less what you believe.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did anybody pull the oil pressure sensor and install a mechanical gauge in it's spot and check the oil pressure manually.
Not saying your wrong,but look at it from everybody else's perspective.
Would you believe somebody if they told you they'd towed 117 miles with no oil pressure,highly unlikely.
You might want to leave out the fact you were in the running to be on a TV show promoting MotorKote,as i know from my perspective,it almost sounds like you're tied in with them,and that makes it even harder to believe you
At this point it doesn’t even matter. I could say the same thing here. Someone recommends a certain oil or filter. I can ask the same questions as well. How do I know what works and what doesn’t. And is a person working for said oil products. I know what works for me and my equipment. I have had zero issues with what I use. I thought I was being helpful. However this has been too long and drawn out.
As I mentioned before I could walk on water, and some would still complain.
I hope what you use works well for you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
At this point it doesn’t even matter. I could say the same thing here. Someone recommends a certain oil or filter. I can ask the same questions as well. How do I know what works and what doesn’t. And is a person working for said oil products. I know what works for me and my equipment. I have had zero issues with what I use. I thought I was being helpful. However this has been too long and drawn out.
So nobody ever checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge then???

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Seizure aside, how do hydraulic lifters work with "no hydraulic" ie oil pressure? This is not a Slant Six with solid lifters.
If it had been a pre hydraulic Cummins I would of thought it might be possible do to fact the oil pressure was to low for the gauge to read yet it could still run as iirc the Cummins only needs like 7-8 psi to stay running...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I understand you completely. You and a couple of others here, I could walk on water and that wouldn’t be enough to convince you. Like I said earlier, I was there I done did do, and could care less what you believe.

That's just it though. You're literally trying to suggest you walked on water but our understanding of engines/physics tells us that something is wrong with the story.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My brother is a machinist and I've helped him out in the past. If you've even done anything with manufacturing that requires lube, and then doesn't have it, there is no magic sauce in the world that's going to prevent the coming catastrophe. Bits that can last for hours with lube burn up in seconds without it etc etc.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Like I said, maybe instead of saying I use motorkote, say I used a chlorinated paraffin. CP's do WHAT you say they do, yes I believe it, I believe that film can let a engine run longer with no oil, and even better yet reduce friction with oil. Doesnt matter if it is morokote or prolong or the other ones that went out of business. That for me isnt the question, the question is at what cost, which apparently you dont have any interest in even hearing. White paper is everywhere on the net with this, just a summary of what you will find here.

It might be guys with hemi tick that other things wont work at, might work with CP's, they are this good. Might kill the impossible to kill hemi tick as this CP coats better then all the stuff talked about in this thread. In fact check the graph, nothing reduces friction like CP's and this from Castrol, yeah no joke castrol. Kudos to castrol, that was some very impressive paper!

The bottom line is CI, your chlorine additive or CP, and look how good it is at battling friction! lowest coefficient of friction then anything, plus it is a film so that plate can allow an engine run with no oil, to a point we all agree? CI by itself or mixed with esters, both the best at battling friction bar none, that is as good as it gets.

53560765689_bcba8ffdec.jpg

So there it is in black and white why CP's are so popular, but as with everything we discuss here there are good and bad to everything. Esters and PAO both required to be balanced to avoid seal issues, powdered moly in suspension can gum up, ceramics need 700f to bond, vii's degrade and cause varnish, too much zinc gums cats, too much CA cause LSPI, yada yada yada. You seam to think there is no downside to CP products, or no potential for corrosion. It is science, those products have a large % of Chlorine, read what castrol says about it. Instead of being so defensive, try this on, try thanking us for giving you a complete picture of the product you use. Get a uoa, it might help you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It also shows why esters are so good as well. We talked about the moly, but castrol proves those esters are no slouch at killing that friction. Biotech and Redline users, there ya go as well. Chart has a little of everything. For sure it can be a double whammy? moly and esters, as in CP's and esters. You can see potential in combining additives.

post it again, fundementals of lubrication by castrol, big wow.

See the graph, man esters are just about as good as CP's.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just like Prolong had the PPM of Chlorine posted just like Motorkote in that test posted earlier, both are super heavy chlorine product so much it shows higher density then anything I've seen. This from Prolongs msds which they make available, a clone product to motorkote in heavy use chlorine...

The classification pertaining to the chlorinated paraffin is applicable to commercialchlorinated paraffin of average carbon chain-lengths of C12. The chlorinated paraffin present in this product is a chlorinated paraffin of a longer carbon chain-length, which isconsidered an IARC Class 3 for carcinogenicity (limited evidence). Petroleum products areknown to cause cancer because of carcinogenic components (e.g. benzene). Thesecarcinogenic components may be removed during the refinement process.

Products that are chlorine...

Incredibly, some of today’s aftermarket engine oil treatments still have a significant chlorinated paraffin content. AMSOIL recently had an independent lab test Dura Lube Engine Treatment Booster, Motorkote Hyper Lubricant/Engine Treatment, Motorkote MK Million Mile Formula and Prolong Engine Treatment. They found that each contained significant quantities of chlorinated paraffins. The findings were published in a recent technical service bulletin: TSB: Chlorine Content of Some Engine Oil Treatments.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Should be noted motorkote has some non chlorine products, I think their diesel products look good. But the ones listed about, well 40 to 70% chlorine. Longer chain products which are a huge problem in lubrication, as in vii's, also branched chain stuff. Not like esters, mos2, modtc, zddp which are all stable molecules, small chains that stick to each other in differing conditions.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Chlorine eats everything for lunch. Including us. Hence, the bleach with just 5% chlorine.

You can smell it, along with sulfur and phosphorus in GL-5 gear oil. This is the extreme pressure EP additive for heavily sliding iron gear surfaces found in spiral bevel and hypoid bevel gears. The additive actually corroded the steel gear surface at a low rate to prevent spalling and galling.

What a great additive for nonferrous journal bearings in engines, don't you think?

Next up: Schaeffers egg beater gear oil creep demonstration.
Then maybe some smoke and mirrors later.