Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,005 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 671 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
From Corey's feed... Hmm greenies go kaboom. Gotta watch the 3 minute 15 mark. How many times can something blow up?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yessir, 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab that is now a driveway princess/tow vehicle lol
YUP MY 19 is a driveway princess and my main transportation if It is raining, too cold and such or too big an item to get on a MC.
My comment was just a lil tongue in cheek (sic) ref picky trucks.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, I was ready to accept the new Hurricane inline 6 engines till they did this..
My son just leased a 2025 Bighorn I6 SO motor. Yup no dipstick, there is a menu in U Connect that U have to go to ref oil and a specific way to read. This is nothing new, they been doing in Europe long time. Just like no longer having a tranny stick. I personally hate it myself, glad I have an ole stick in MY 19, but hate the fact I have no "tranny stick": for my truck and the BS lifetime oil stuff either.

check oil 3.0 Motor.JPG

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From Corey's feed... Hmm greenies go kaboom. Gotta watch the 3 minute 15 mark. How many times can something blow up?

Not EV related, but cylinders of pressurized flammable gas. Note the longer video, uploaded about 10 years ago...

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My son just leased a 2025 Bighorn I6 SO motor. Yup no dipstick, there is a menu in U Connect that U have to go to ref oil and a specific way to read. This is nothing new, they been doing in Europe long time. Just like no longer having a tranny stick. I personally hate it myself, glad I have an ole stick in MY 19, but hate the fact I have no "tranny stick": for my truck and the BS lifetime oil stuff either.

View attachment 544779
F that! When my 16 rusts out from under me I'm going down south and finding a rustfree 90s or 00s truck. I'd rather put a new drive train in then deal with a rolling gizmo box on wheels. Already told the wife she will finally get the trip down south she's wanted haha. She still thinks it's dumb but she doesn't do the maintenance and work on our vehicles.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F that! When my 16 rusts out from under me I'm going down south and finding a rustfree 90s or 00s truck. I'd rather put a new drive train in then deal with a rolling gizmo box on wheels. Already told the wife she will finally get the trip down south she's wanted haha. She still thinks it's dumb but she doesn't do the maintenance and work on our vehicles.
Wateva floats yer boat, LOL. I personally am keeping my lightly optioned 2019 5th Gen RAM till wheels fall off, buy a chitload of Gorilla Glue and Glue them back on. For wat my kid uses truck for, he be good, just a DD, trips and GG, no towing.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm right there with you. I would love to find a 89-91 2500 Suburban down south, restore it, and drop a 12v in it

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wateva floats yer boat, LOL. I personally am keeping my lightly optioned 2019 5th Gen RAM till wheels fall off, buy a chitload of Gorilla Glue and Glue them back on. For wat my kid uses truck for, he be good, just a DD, trips and GG, no towing.
Same here, going to run my 4th gen until it falls apart.

Then I'll look for my Suburban :cool:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hopefully you like it for 4 years or more, that is the half life of Teflon in the body. 4 years to cut your level in half of you stop using it, many more years to get it to undetectable, but the theory is you can never get rid of it 100%. And just think about how many different pan coatings there are these days, makes my head spin. Oh yeah I have a great idea for that tank coatings Dupont says many years ago, lets make cookware out of it, lol. pdf every human has c8 in their blood.

A Michigan State University study found PFCsin the blood of 400 different mammals, fishand birds on all seven continents. Studies show that nearly all people, regardless ofage, have some C8 in their blood.
Theres a great movie on this i watched and i forgot the name already

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Theres a great movie on this i watched and i forgot the name already
There was "the devil you know" where that dude has an eye lower then the other, scary stuff. Google Forever Chemicals there is a bunch of stuff. Not my favorite source but democracy now has some stuff on this that should be respected imo. Something like 60% of drinking water has forever chems in them, lol?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There was "the devil you know" where that dude has an eye lower then the other, scary stuff. Google Forever Chemicals there is a bunch of stuff. Not my favorite source but democracy now has some stuff on this that should be respected imo. Something like 60% of drinking water has forever chems in them, lol?
It was dark waters! About dupont and c8 in the water in west virginia i believe. At the end it said virtually every living thing on the planet has c8 in them

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It was dark waters! About dupont and c8 in the water in west virginia i believe. At the end it said virtually every living thing on the planet has c8 in them
I remember that, such a small world hey? Something made in a Dupont lab is in us all. It is what it is, nothing we can do about it now, lol.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm all for the Hurricane I6. Sounds much better than EcoBoost IMO; especially in terms of engine design. But they are just going to alienate a lot of core truck people with that digital meter stuff. I know, it might be "more accurate" etc. and possibly even let you know if your engine is burning oil and stuff, but seriously, add digital functionality, don't detract.

If or when my Ram goes, I would look for a G-Series van or one of those 80s or early 90s VW LTs and transplant the engine and gearbox from a Ram 1500 into it. OR, maybe get myself a used Nissan Titan with the Cummins V8. I heard those are good engines.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 544779
You can thank ignoramous folk who never developed reading comprehension skills, or even bothered to read the damned directions for no dipsticks on transmissions.

THE most damaging thing a person can do is to overfill an automatic transmission. The sump oil is in such close proximity to the gear train, that as little as one quart overfill on many models of transmission leads to the oil level rising to the point of contact with the rotating mass of drums/gears,shafts. This embroils the trans fluid with air and creates a foam which cannot sustain the life of any transmission.

The NUMBER one dynamic that I encountered during warranty period on transmissions, back in the day, was overfilling CAUSING trans failure. The innards were literally bar-b-qued. Folks would pull the dipstick on a crispy cool morning, see the fluid level down close to the tip of the dipstick, and add to the "Full Hot" level. This would spell curtains for that transmission. All because the hapless owner FAILED to read the instructions STAMPED right on the dipstick with dual cold/ hot ranges of min/max. "More is better" doesn't belong in the automotive world.
I frequently service automotive A/C systems where some well meaning person has added refrigerant to the system, not knowing that they created a worse scenario. Modern HVAC systems shut the compressor down in the event of overcharge. This keeps an untrained person from blowing themselves up! This, in spite of bright warning labels affixed under the hood.

Also, on 4WD vehicles, the oil seal between the transfer case and transmission would leak trans fluid from the trans to the transfer case, thus starving the transmission of oil with no apparent leak, and leading to trans fluid gushing out of the FILL plug of the transfer case!

My first encounter with a dip-stickless car was a BMW. So, inasmuch as Stellantis is a Eurpoean company, it makes sense. Engine oil overfills do happen, but at least the level doesn't change as radically as does an automatic trans fluid level when warmed up to operating temp.

Manufacturers are given to peeling onions these days to comply with so many demands set upon them from consumers to institutions hell-bent on saving us from ourselves! ;)

Tony Donato

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been eyeballing a new 2025 RAM 1500 Big Horn, as well as a 2500 4x4 6.4L Big Horn. If I get the 2025, it comes with the I6 Hurricane engine. The recommended oil is 0W-20. Beside the manufacturer wanting to get good fuel economy numbers in the EPA fuel economy test, is it actually a good idea to run 0W-20 in a Twin Turbo high power density engine? The 6.4L recommends 0W-40, and that sounds good to me, but the I6 Hurricane SO engine... I don't know about 0W-20 in that one. I'd love to read your thoughts on this. The no dipstick issue doesn't bother me that much. I'm reasonably sure it's a European performance engine, and they've been doing it for a long time. The only downside is replacing that oil level sensor when it fails.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Personally I wouldn't buy that engine, but the main difference between 0w40 and 5w30 is the amount of vii's, less desirable in a di turbo consider 5w30 or 10w30 if warm state. Hopefully they didn't have a code issue, wont know til you try. 0w20 makes less and less sense with higher rpm engines, look at what happened to Tundras, the dam fools.

6.4 = no brainier.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been eyeballing a new 2025 RAM 1500 Big Horn, as well as a 2500 4x4 6.4L Big Horn. If I get the 2025, it comes with the I6 Hurricane engine. The recommended oil is 0W-20. Beside the manufacturer wanting to get good fuel economy numbers in the EPA fuel economy test, is it actually a good idea to run 0W-20 in a Twin Turbo high power density engine? The 6.4L recommends 0W-40, and that sounds good to me, but the I6 Hurricane SO engine... I don't know about 0W-20 in that one. I'd love to read your thoughts on this. The no dipstick issue doesn't bother me that much. I'm reasonably sure it's a European performance engine, and they've been doing it for a long time. The only downside is replacing that oil level sensor when it fails.
I'd stick with the the proven 6.4 in the 2500.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Rogue has the startup rattle again when it sits any longer than a few hours. Not sure if it's the filter or the oil but it's happening.

Sigh, I have another vehicle that's an oil snob:confused:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ford tried this when the Ecoboost first came out by recommending 5W20. Not sure if it failed in their testing or shortly after they came out to the public but they realized the Turbo's were causing fuel dilution in the oil and that combined with how hard the motor was working was killing them early. They now recommend 5W30. I would not be surprised to see the same with the Hurricane. I personally would not buy this engine for a couple of years as it is brand new and unknown.