Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by mcclintock89, Feb 7, 2013.

Oil of Choice

1. Castrol Syntec/Edge

154 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Royal Purple

230 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. AMSOil

256 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Valvoline Synpower

94 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Mobil 1

653 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Other

354 vote(s)
    20.3%
Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. crazykid1994

crazykid1994 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I did switch from redline to PUP myself. Had slight startup tick at 5,000 miles on redline. Trying to see if PUP 5-30 changes that. So far no more startup tick on PUP. Plus it’s half the price. And I’m running a xg8a on my filter relocate kit because the rp filters are harder to find lately.

170B4188-4D0E-4A11-95E1-333FD7E150CE.jpeg

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 12:47 PM
  2. 16RamHemi

16RamHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
    I think this here is a key piece of information. Obviously its more common to have 20s on your truck. We dont all have 2500 to buy a new set of wheels and tires. So throwing on a set of 35s on the 20s is the cheaper option. Everyone has their definition of rough roads. some dont like any bumps and call a few bumps rough roads. as others have to dodge potholes every 40 feet or so with frost heaves and cracks etc and get used to some bumps. So cant really judge someones choice that way. I will admit there are times that i wish i had other tires on my truck. But the 35s and 4" lift were a match made in heaven. If you handed me a check tomorrow i would buy a set of 18" wheels with 35s. The ride would be great. I have driven a 3/4 ton on these same roads. granted it was a ford f250 but rough doesnt even describe it. I would never do that every day. So my truck with 35s rides nothing like a 3/4 ton (ford atleast, no idea about ram or gm).

3. huntergreen

huntergreen Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7

They didn't work well for me in heavy wet snow.

tidefan1967, Hemi395 and Burla like this.
  4. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Yeah, no more E wars about oil, but interesting that other weights of redline have taken a hit. 10w30, 0w40, 5w20 just aren't doing what 5w30 redline can. Mind you this is only discussing lubrication and tick, but it is also of note what 5w30 did against 10w30 in your last uoa. 5w30 not only proven itself the best tick killer, but also killed it in your wear numbers.

Still hope there is some mechanical adjustment we can do to ease the ticking in these engines that seamingly go out of tolerance just like that, but there is one oil weight and brand that seams to be unicorn juice. There was a lot of talk of the bores being out of whack, but that got me to thinking, if the bore is out of whack one would think it would tick out of the gate, but these just seam to show up sometimes. IMO it seams like the logical answer could be in the lifter itself. I defer to the mechanics, but even with the guys who deal with this everyday like Motor City Mechanic and others, I still haven't heard the answer. If they aren't seeing it, I can't see tearing down my own engine and messing with internals that are above my comfort level.

5. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    maybe duratrac are good tires, sounds like it, but it is the brand itself that let me down, so I don't give that offering a chance when I have a brand that has never let me down. I have had BFG's go 70k miles and look good, and had goodyears look worn to the nub at 20k miles. Not only that but goodyears broke loose in the rain so many times I can't count. Have to baby the throttle with those from a stop. I'm sure they just put a rag tire on oem vehicles for cost purposes, but there is a hidden cost to that, loyalty.

6. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Well no, that kinda stuff’s better with more of an AT tire but who knows how deep of snow they’re talking about when they say deep snow lol. One day, we had a good snowstorm of about two inches of wet snow...: my Michelin’s did great. Didn’t even need 4-WD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967 and huntergreen like this.
  7. dexter

dexter Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
    Engine:
    6.4L
  8. U&A

U&A Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 3500 SRW
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    Duratrac’s side wall is stupid thin.

Id NEVER run them.

The toyo AT2 has a thicker side wall almost X2.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

9. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    So 5w30 Redline is hemi honey

Then 5w30 or 0w40 PUP would be Mopar Molasses?

10. U&A

U&A Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 3500 SRW
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    Interesting info. Tell me if this makes sense.

Doing a test drive with my favorite mechanic and he asked me if I always drive my truck in “tow haul mode”.

I said yes. It shifts much better and drives better.

He said, just to let you know driving in tow haul all the time puts a lot more back-and-forth pressure on your thrust bearings on your crankshaft. Those things go..... and you pretty much lose the whole motor.

I’ve never thought of this before but it makes sense. Because of deceleration and acceleration in tow haul mode you get a lot more forward and reverse load on your drivetrain. If you know what i mean.

He said they’ve replaced engines in trucks before from thrust bearing failures where guys have driven in tow haul all the time.

Great, yet another thing to loose sleep over after almost 30,000 miles of basically EXCLUSIVE tow haul mode driving.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM