Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by mcclintock89, Feb 7, 2013.

Oil of Choice

1. Castrol Syntec/Edge

173 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Royal Purple

255 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. AMSOil

277 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Valvoline Synpower

105 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Mobil 1

730 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Other

430 vote(s)
    21.8%
Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    So check this out, if you leave hemi tick without treating it knowing what we know now, what do you think the temps are in that spot? The heat in the lifter will go right down to the roller. So what happens when metal is hot, much easier to damage, much easier to cut, mold whatever.

If you stop that tick, one would think the temps in that spot would have to be cooler then if it ticked. I still think it would be north of 212f, because there is so little flow there, but whatever the temps I'm sure the lifter is less temp if it isn't in a tick condition. Another reason that if you can stop tick with lubrication or additive, you would be crazy not to.

Same thing with cam lob, that sucker is flying around, if everytime it hits the roller and there is resistance which uncle tony showed us, then how much hotter must that cam lob get then a cam lob that has no resistance? I bet temperature is a huge part to these cut lobs.

Hemi395 and tidefan1967 like this.
  2. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Point being, even long trips would be a danger for lobs as they gain temp, not just dry starts or idle.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  3. GottaBeKD

GottaBeKD Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    2 points.
    1... The pinned comment says that MSD off would allow more oil to spray over.
    2... I wonder if this can be addressed by a recall or extended warranty

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hemi395 and tidefan1967 like this.
  4. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    The non mds lifters also have this issue, but yeah imo an extended warranty would be a great idea. I would never buy another hemi without a lifetime warranty like fca used to have.

5. 16RamHemi

16RamHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
    Living in a cold weather state, I want to delve into the idling issue more. In my opinion, I don't feel that cold idling or idling to let your truck warm up does much is any damage. I would think all our trucks are roughly the same running wise. Cold start with higher rpms, oil pressure typically around 53psi. To me this is good.

It's not until we drive a bit warming the engine up, then idling where it will come down into the 40s. No idea what the magic number is, but I feel it's the warm and HOT idle that is the issue. Keeping the truck running when running into the store, gassing up etc. Some idling is required. We all have stop lights, stop signs, traffic, accidents etc that require us to wait in our trucks. My truck has spent it's entire life here in Western Maine. And you see the wear numbers. And my truck was dealer oil before I switched to redline 5w30 around 15.5k miles ago.

Maybe @14Tradesman can give more specifics on idle time.

6. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I'd just take another look at cold viscosities, cSt operating temp of 5w20 visc is 9, 5w30 it is 12, when you were having piston slap my guess is your viscosity was 1,000 or thicker. If it's so thick you are getting piston slap, I can't imagine much oil is in that lifter cavity. Dunno bro

tidefan1967 likes this.
  7. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I agree, cold starts have have a good amount of oil pressure and on really cold mornings my truck will sit at 1200rpm for a good 3+ mins before idling down to 1000. Not sure if that's my tuning or not tho.

I've never heard anything but piston slap on my 5.7 during an extremely cold start while running RL. I'm assuming it's due to the higher oil psi and higher rpms?

tidefan1967 and Burla like this.
  8. Hemi395

Hemi395 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So I'm assuming the actual tick we hear is the lifter being slammed into the bore that's not sufficiently lubricated?

Which brings up another thing I've been thinking about, wouldn't a simple "skirt" that is raised above the lifter bores where the pushrod is feeding oil to the lifter help divert some more oil down the lifter bore? Seems like it's just spilling off the top of the lifter and draining back to the sump....

tidefan1967 and Burla like this.
  9. 14Tradesman

14Tradesman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Im a first responder, so when I go on runs that require me to go straight to a scene, I normally leave it running (locked). This is the majority of my idle time I would say. That is warm idling.

However to add to that, when I drop my daughter off and pick her up from the baby sitter, I usually left it running, also at full temp. Gassing up for the same reason because my daughter is generally in the truck as I fill up on my way to or from work. I dont ever have traffic to and from work, perks of living and working in a rural area.

But that stuff really does add up to a lot of idle time. Going to cut down on it and see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967, 16RamHemi and Burla like this.
  10. 14Tradesman

14Tradesman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    [​IMG]
    So if I did my math right, thats 22% idle time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967, U&A and Burla like this.