Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One thing I don't understand, they grandfathered the ban til 2027. Like if it is dangerous, why grandfather candy but yet pull maxlife in like two seconds? I guess oil sales are the greater evil, my guess those candies will either reformulate or have a CA version, lol.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What you’re saying is battery tech is not there. That’s my point. Electric cars aren’t ready for the masses.

Bingo. Before ICE's became mainstream we had external combustion engines (steam) and we had battery electric cars, I'm talking early 1900's. But the batteries were rubbish making the ICE's far more flexible. And big oil dominated for 100+ years. And batteries are still rubbish, at least compared to the demand put upon them.

But once we get better battery tech you won't want an ICE. Just like you wouldn't want a steam car today. In the end I still reckon the future is hybrid, essentially what the new plug in hybrid hybrid Ramcharger is but with a Hydrogen fuel cell (or engine) rather than a petrol engine and fuel tank. Whether the H2 supplies fuel for an engine or as a fuel cell supplying power to the DC motor(s) - doesn't really matter. But we are probably still at least 10 years away from the required and widely available tech for both the hybrid's battery and the H2 side of things.

Once the EV battery and H2 tech is solved then grid sized storage comprising of batteries (as in traditional batteries) and/or H2 generation (which is in essence a battery) should also be solved. Then we just need the transmission and distribution systems put in place to get that energy from where its created, to where it's stored stored then to where it's used - this applies to both electricity and Hydrogen and whatever other form of energy is thrown into the mix aka fusion, hydro, thermal etc.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem is battery tech needs to come a LONG way before it's ready to compete with the ICE. My wife's Jeep GC gets over 500 miles to a tank on average. The only EV I know of that comes close to that kind of range is a Lucid and those are ridiculous money.

Then there's the mining for all the materials for the batteries. The grid needs a lot of work before it's ready to come close to being able to support the charging of millions and millions of EVs.

When there's an EV truck that can do everything my Ram can do and MORE at a reasonable price with the infrastructure to support it, I'll consider buying one.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem is battery tech needs to come a LONG way before it's ready to compete with the ICE. My wife's Jeep GC gets over 500 miles to a tank on average. The only EV I know of that comes close to that kind of range is a Lucid and those are ridiculous money.

Then there's the mining for all the materials for the batteries. The grid needs a lot of work before it's ready to come close to being able to support the charging of millions and millions of EVs.

When there's an EV truck that can do everything my Ram can do and MORE at a reasonable price with the infrastructure to support it, I'll consider buying one.
Agree. Decent battery tech for a city commuter is not too far away. For a Ram replacement, that is not coming soon.