Votes: 386 14.1%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 158 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 986 36.0%
  • Other

Votes: 654 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
did you study the uoa's from hpl sc? I would be on board with this based on the formula which I must say looks better on paper. More moly and less zinc is how I woulda done it. However, it seams like there is "possibly" a cost in wear numbers with that high moly, but of course there is a small sample size and we need more uoa's on this product before I jump on that ship. And we only had one hemi tick engine try the stuff? And we remember how that went, once again one truck means next to nothing, so I think we need more hemi tick engines on it. The one good thing on redlines side is long term uoa's and we know what this stuff does to hemi tick engines.

ok's uoa, I thought he also had a 0w30 uoa? Man I am getting old.

If I had a guess, wear numbers would drop just as they do with redline and multiple runs, but as of yet this is a unknown.
He runs the 0w20 in his ram and 0w40 in his srt jeep

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When temps were 25-30 with m1 FS 0w40 i generally say 56-58 psi
Thank you, this helps! I have never run SS 0w40 in the winter before but I went to cold start my truck the last week and when I was pulling onto my road the oil pressure went to 80 something and the indicator on the dash turned red. Never seen that kind of oil pressure before. I think I was that junk RP filter I had on more than the oil...

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you, this helps! I have never run SS 0w40 in the winter before but I went to cold start my truck the last week and when I was pulling onto my road the oil pressure went to 80 something and the indicator on the dash turned red. Never seen that kind of oil pressure before. I think I was that junk RP filter I had on more than the oil...
I should say that is idle PSI. Acceleration id see 61-62 usually

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who here has run a 0w40 or specifically SS 0w40 in their 5.7? If so what was your oil pressure on a cold start when cold out?
I ran Mobil1 FS 0W40 a couple of months ago. The weather was still a little warm, but cooler than the summer months. Average around 27.C - 29.C.
The engine ticked for 2 seconds at the initial start right after the oil change, but was smooth and silent for every start after.
I didn't have that when I used the current combo of Liquimoly Molygen and the LM Hydraulic Lifter Fluid. Currently the second time using the combo.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im only determining it based on cold start oil pressure compared to m1 FS 0w40 and supercar 0w30. Ive never used their no VII oils so i cant comment on those. They appear top notch based on the specs

I've never paid that much attention to cold start oil pressure between the different flavours of HPL. But I do suspect the CCS numbers are more accurate since that test is designed specifically to test how hard it is to pump oil at -30C or -35C.

I found a quote from David himself who said this when asked how SC differs from the standard PCMO line:
The Supercar oil would be most similar to the premium plus PCMO but using a 502 additive package rather than the D1G2 additive package in the PCMO series

And also these quotes from him when asked how SC differs from Premium Plus:
The premium plus passenger car oil uses an ad pack that is based on D1G2. It also uses the same PAO/AN/Ester base stocks.

They will have comparable moly in the 750ppm area.

Looking at the scientific testing, I made this little chart:

hO3ozuA.png

So it appears the P+ has a significant cold start benefit over PCMO, and to a lesser extent over Super Car too though. Even the 0w-40 is still easier to crank than the SC?

And if we are hunting for that "one oil for year round cold canucks", perhaps the play here is the P+ 0w-40, it's still easier to crank than SC and has a HT/HS of 3.9! Starts great in the winter and has more headroom for towing then we'll ever need. With those star polymers in the P+ lineup, there is probably very minimal shear down but that would have to be verified with a UOA I guess. I do know the P+ 0w-30 I ran last winter retained it's viscosity very well and confirmed with UOA.

The last thing to note here is the different ad packs of course, the PCMO/Premium line is all MS 6395 (which is what our engines call for), the super car is euro and full saps. I don't know enough to argue this point here, except that I've seen hemis hit 620,000 KMs with 3000+ idle hours on standard dealer 5w-20 MS6395 oil so ...

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've never paid that much attention to cold start oil pressure between the different flavours of HPL. But I do suspect the CCS numbers are more accurate since that test is designed specifically to test how hard it is to pump oil at -30C or -35C.

I found a quote from David himself who said this when asked how SC differs from the standard PCMO line:

And also these quotes from him when asked how SC differs from Premium Plus:

Looking at the scientific testing, I made this little chart:

View attachment 533098

So it appears the P+ has a significant cold start benefit over PCMO, and to a lesser extent over Super Car too though. Even the 0w-40 is still easier to crank than the SC?

And if we are hunting for that "one oil for year round cold canucks", perhaps the play here is the P+ 0w-40, it's still easier to crank than SC and has a HT/HS of 3.9! Starts great in the winter and has more headroom for towing then we'll ever need. With those star polymers in the P+ lineup, there is probably very minimal shear down but that would have to be verified with a UOA I guess. I do know the P+ 0w-30 I ran last winter retained it's viscosity very well and confirmed with UOA.

The last thing to note here is the different ad packs of course, the PCMO/Premium line is all MS 6395 (which is what our engines call for), the super car is euro and full saps. I don't know enough to argue this point here, except that I've seen hemis hit 620,000 KMs with 3000+ idle hours on standard dealer 5w-20 MS6395 oil so ...
The supercar line uses the same VII as the p+ oil. The best "feeling" cold starting oil i used was the supercar 0w30 but i never used the p+ oil except for the 5w30 that i have in now. And will have in for atleast 2 more OCIs

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The supercar line uses the same VII as the p+ oil. The best "feeling" cold starting oil i used was the supercar 0w30 but i never used the p+ oil except for the 5w30 that i have in now. And will have in for atleast 2 more OCIs

Yep - shear-resistant star polymer VII. More expensive additive than cheap, old coil polymer VII that shears down.

fyi - in my 6.4 Hemi (mostly same guts as 5.7), I consistently run 55 psi @ speed and 35 psi @ idle, hot. Pressures higher @ startup. Either 5W-30 or 0W-30 Red Line and Royal Purple 20-500 filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone hauling their own garbage in their truck? I use my trailer so for now I don't need this, but need and want are two different things. Very reasonable 129 bucks?

image_22955.jpg

The best part, the crane boom can easily raise meaning you can lift a heavy garbage can with ease.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Added note, my 2017 RAM 1500 HEMI Express RCSB in once prestine condition with just 50,000 miles is only worth $17,500 according to KBB ... imagine that
I ran into that when a truck knocked a pole down on my car, totaling it.

What I ended up doing was turning the case over to my insurance company for a payout, who then went after the other insurance company for reimbursement of anything they were going to pay me.

The other company called me the next day with an offer we both could live with.

It was a total of three days after I called my company that an agreement was made, for a good bit more money than offered originally, as they had no idea what my company was offering to pay, and didn't want to get stuck.

Actually, my company offered less than the trucks company did, but it forced the first company to up their game.