Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nobody has put any thought into how charging all these electric vehicles is going to happen in real life. A lot of the electric grid barely has enough overhead for the loads on it now, so let's double what's going be needed...all of you California will be in back in the dark ages. A lot of people don't have enough capacity in the house for a charger that will be worth while using yet the auto companies seem to think everyone will want to buy an electric car within ten years.
I'm surprised the states haven't come to the conclusion that they'll be losing billions in gas tax revenue that's for maintaining the roads, mileage tracking of all BEV needs to start happening and a per mile tax be billed.
Yup. The electricity is going off around here more in the last few years, I'm assuming because a lot more people have electric cars.

I always laugh at people around here that are going "green" because our power is almost 100% from coal or oil[emoji849]

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You may not like your electric bill, 60amp/240v is going to suck some juice....
That draws 3 time more current than a 5ton capacity home air conditioner and we'll say it only charges 4-5 hours a day.. easily double your electric bill. let's not even start with the "off hour electric rates".

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You may not like your electric bill, 60amp/240v is going to suck some juice....

It's all relevant, the 15 amp will draw just as much, it just take longer to do it, like I said 7 miles per hour of charge versus 44 miles per charge hour on the 60amp. My goal has nothing to do with going green, but rather self defense. The writing is on the wall, the current president wants to write 6 trillion in debt in one freaking year, the bottom is about to fall out of this *****, lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a 60amp hot tub, it was over 200 bucks per month for that one item, welcome to CA electricity rates. That was before the wild fires, the same hot tub is just sitting there now 2 years. Aint gonna spend 300 bucks to run a bath.

Time to start canning all the fruit that hits the ground out here.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all relevant, the 15 amp will draw just as much, it just take longer to do it, like I said 7 miles per hour of charge versus 44 miles per charge hour on the 60amp. My goal has nothing to do with going green, but rather self defense. The writing is on the wall, the current president wants to write 6 trillion in debt in one freaking year, the bottom is about to fall out of this *****, lol.
Oh I totally get it, I'll probably do the same thing eventually.

It's just no matter which way you charge an electric car its going to run up your electric bill. Solar panels might be worth it then....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 60amp hot tub, it was over 200 bucks per month for that one item, welcome to CA electricity rates. That was before the wild fires, the same hot tub is just sitting there now 2 years. Aint gonna spend 300 bucks to run a bath.
[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I live on heat pumps, for water and air, and I often wonder why they don't have Stirling engines for this. I assume when the world runs low on fossil fuels his design will make a way back.

got ice?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nobody has put any thought into how charging all these electric vehicles is going to happen in real life. A lot of the electric grid barely has enough overhead for the loads on it now, so let's double what's going be needed...all of you California will be in back in the dark ages. A lot of people don't have enough capacity in the house for a charger that will be worth while using yet the auto companies seem to think everyone will want to buy an electric car within ten years.
I'm surprised the states haven't come to the conclusion that they'll be losing billions in gas tax revenue that's for maintaining the roads, mileage tracking of all BEV needs to start happening and a per mile tax be billed.

Very valid point. I live in ND we have plenty of power via wind and coal. We don’t however have the weather to easily support since the winter makes batteries way less effective. This can be an issue with diesel here too. Leave outside unplugged for the winter and chances are pretty good you won’t be moving that thing.

Then folks in the warm climates always seem to have issues with power supply so I can them as having the weather but not the power.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Time to start canning all the fruit that hits the ground out here.

When I had a hot tub here it was not enough on my electric bill to even notice even in the winter. We likely pay very little for electricity though.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Solar panels are an option for some states but all the northern states that get cold and snow, it ain't happening. I doubt many neighbors will allow wind mills.
Plenty of solar panels up here in Northern ontario. We even have several huge solar farms, snow is not much issue with solar.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk