Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does it seal good at the top and bottom of the housing/canister? I’ve been wanting a good synthetic oil filter but I don’t like how they mate up with the housing/canister. I haven’t look at farm yet, but definitely will next time I’m at Walmart.

The ones I use on 3.6L Pantastar are nice and come with new orings.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Just dumped in my first bottle of lubegard.With 7 qts. of oil that put me just over the full mark.Is that gonna be o.k?I've read alot of you guys are running 7.5 qts..7 qts. of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w 30,1-15oz. bottle of lubegard along with a fram ultra synthetic xg16.2004 reg. cab ,8' bed 87K.Also can anyone please tell me if lubegard is going to darken my oil?

I'm running a little over 8 quarts of oil in my HEMI 5.7. That's 7.5 quarts of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and 22 oz. of Lubegard Bio-Tech. I run the bigger oil filter and I'm way above the full mark. Everything is okay. Just ask @Burla.

Lubegard will not darken your oil. It might turn it green/blue if you premix them, but once it goes through a heat cycle in the engine the oil looks normal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What he said, I been using 8 quarts for ten years plus. Not advocating for that, just saying what I do.

Lubegard is dark blue/green, it will darken oil, but no issues with that. below you see it next to mos2 which turns oil silvery grey.

taticflickr.com%2F65535%2F49473944096_31d9169852_z.png

taticflickr.com%2F65535%2F49473444153_370cd4eecd_z.png

taticflickr.com%2F65535%2F49474167087_2eb9ece677_z.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It might be last chance to get lubegard for 10 bucks 15 ounce size thanks to the inflation we are getting. They are selling the 10 ounce size for 2 dollars more then the 15 ounce at amazon. Who knows what the 10 ounce size will go for when they change it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think we need a couple someones with hemi tick to give valvoline a dance. However, it is hard to continue testing when you found an answer for your hemi, so I wont be making any changes. However, if I was on the lubegard strategy, man that valvoline looks like a decent choice for a dancing partner in the battle for hemi tick. The base oils are one aspect, but EP additive levels are stand out. NOACK says 8.7, which is close to redline for their 5w20. Literally the only issue I see is a cSt at 7.9, back in the recent day we see all 5w20's on the upper limit as in close to 9.

But, my bet is we will now see api oils in the 20 weight graduate to the lower end of the range, which I can't say I like much. If someone wanted they could add a quart of 5w40 to that sump, dress it up a bit, but with that noack and EP additives that oil looks like a real option, not good but great imo. Yes in theory on paper, but it was those theories on paper that have led to some answers on killing these ticks.

Thanks for the work Travis, great contributions, and good to see Valvoline improve their base oils and moly. As been proven like 100 times in syn thread, you have to keep up with current info and let old info die. Hardest thing to do is let old notions die, I can hardly believe I am saying valvoine is a top choice after the evolution of this thread, but dare I say valvoline looks like a true boutique.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be more than happy to try it after I run through the RGT that I have stockpiled runs out, hopefully they don’t decide to change the formula or discontinue it before the end of the year. I have roughly 700 miles on the truck so first oil change will be at 3K, second at 6K and then I’ll give it a try.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think we need a couple someones with hemi tick to give valvoline a dance. However, it is hard to continue testing when you found an answer for your hemi, so I wont be making any changes. However, if I was on the lubegard strategy, man that valvoline looks like a decent choice for a dancing partner in the battle for hemi tick. The base oils are one aspect, but EP additive levels are stand out. NOACK says 8.7, which is close to redline for their 5w20. Literally the only issue I see is a cSt at 7.9, back in the recent day we see all 5w20's on the upper limit as in close to 9.

But, my bet is we will now see api oils in the 20 weight graduate to the lower end of the range, which I can't say I like much. If someone wanted they could add a quart of 5w40 to that sump, dress it up a bit, but with that noack and EP additives that oil looks like a real option, not good but great imo. Yes in theory on paper, but it was those theories on paper that have led to some answers on killing these ticks.

Thanks for the work Travis, great contributions, and good to see Valvoline improve their base oils and moly. As been proven like 100 times in syn thread, you have to keep up with current info and let old info die. Hardest thing to do is let old notions die, I can hardly believe I am saying valvoine is a top choice after the evolution of this thread, but dare I say valvoline looks like a true boutique.
Glad to help! Crazy considering when this thread first started valvoline synpower had no moly at all. Not sure on boron though

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question, my wife had the oil changed in her 2018 5.7, we are too old to crawl around on the driveway anymore, she had Mobile 1 5-20 put in. What if any issues will this cause? I do have some Lubguard left that I was using in our 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 should I throw some of that in the Hemi?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Quick question, my wife had the oil changed in her 2018 5.7, we are too old to crawl around on the driveway anymore, she had Mobile 1 5-20 put in. What if any issues will this cause? I do have some Lubguard left that I was using in our 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 should I throw some of that in the Hemi?

No problem, m1 is the second most used oil on ram forum. Lubegard is a nice additive to add to that as well. If you ever get hemi tick, come on back, if not run that with confidence.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem, m1 is the second most used oil on ram forum. Lubegard is a nice additive to add to that as well. If you ever get hemi tick, come on back, if not run that with confidence.

I think I may go ahead and put a bottle of the LG in then. I ran M1 in my 2011 300C 5.7 and it ran great, just wasn’t sure since FCA changed their oil specs. In fact, I have been running M1 in my vehicles since it came out and never had any issues. I love this forum!!

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think I may go ahead and put a bottle of the LG in then. I ran M1 in my 2011 300C 5.7 and it ran great, just wasn’t sure since FCA changed their oil specs. In fact, I have been running M1 in my vehicles since it came out and never had any issues. I love this forum!!
If you want peace of mind try mobil 1 extended performance 5w20. That oil meets ms6395 but the vanilla mobil 1 does not

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
m1 has changed a while back, now is fca cert. Zero issues running m1. Well "Recommended" for anyhow.
Ill have to look again. When i first got my ram i was disapointed to see that only mobil oil products that met ms6395 was the super 5000. I checked recently and now the extended performance 0w and 5w20 met ms6395 but not the regular

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Iirc M1 came out in early to mid seventies. The M1 of today is not the same oil.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am changing my oil this weekend. This will be the third round with Red Line 5w-30 and a Royal Purple 20-820 filter. I will be doing my first oil analysis then as well. Should I get some of that Lubegard or am I good with just the Red Line?

Also, is this the Lubegard that you are referring to? If so, can this be added after the fact since I won't have it by the time I change the oil?

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am changing my oil this weekend. This will be the third round with Red Line 5w-30 and a Royal Purple 20-820 filter. I will be doing my first oil analysis then as well. Should I get some of that Lubegard or am I good with just the Red Line?

Also, is this the Lubegard that you are referring to? If so, can this be added after the fact since I won't have it by the time I change the oil?
Unless you are still having Hemi tick problems(with the Redline) I wouldn’t bother with the Lubegard I don’t think you really need it. I only added it to lesser oils that you knew had little or no Moly. The 10oz bottle worked fine for me when I used it in RGT and QSUD no tick.