Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are two different oils. Just check out the Pennzoil website. They are two different tiers, two different products.
Ditto, and we don’t own a GM vehicle. Well at least I don’t. Doesn’t effect me. I hope pennzoil doesn’t get away from the Chrysler spec. I hated them as a conventional oil, they have just recently started to gain my respect. I watched my father dump it In my moms GM vehicles over the years only to question why moms motors rattled at 75-100k. Happened car after van after suburban. He was meticulous pennzoil 10w30 and a regular old fram orange filter. I told him for 20 years and he finally wised up with synthetic and filters wix and purlator. Yes, hot rod father finally listened to his son

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you can post some links about this claim, that would be very helpful. I'll settle for some UOAs.

Not for nothing, but similarly rated oils perform similarly in an engine during a similar OCI and similar driving conditions. Not my words, Blackstone lab said it.

We have them in the thread. We have seen this many times. PUP on paper is excellent. Doesn’t stop the ticking like Red Line though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Check out the Pennzoil website. Those are two different products. Pennzoil has a newer cheaper oil out. PP and PUP branding is not dying.

They are evidently moving toward this branding at Walmart. I ordered them as PP but they gave me some of this new package and sku. My point is the new option is not dexos. PUP has always been hard to get at Walmart in store. It would seem PP and PUP will not be in store now. I haven’t checked for UOA on the new sku so not sure how it compares to PP and PUP yet.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is pretty huge information imo. I wonder if they changed their formula to meet dexos or if it always did but they didnt cert it. Must find out.

If you look at pennzoil website, they say only PP and PUP is GtL.

I am wondering if this new option god shall we coin it FSP is made similar to QSUD. Which would be fine by me as QSUD 5W-30 is great too.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ditto, and we don’t own a GM vehicle. Well at least I don’t. Doesn’t effect me. I hope pennzoil doesn’t get away from the Chrysler spec. I hated them as a conventional oil, they have just recently started to gain my respect. I watched my father dump it In my moms GM vehicles over the years only to question why moms motors rattled at 75-100k. Happened car after van after suburban. He was meticulous pennzoil 10w30 and a regular old fram orange filter. I told him for 20 years and he finally wised up with synthetic and filters wix and purlator. Yes, hot rod father finally listened to his son

Pennzoil was crap before SOPUS. Once Shell bought them and Quaker State they both became really good. I don’t know what they wanted to buy a basement dweller to start with but they did. I am sure some really liked those names. Old Pennzoil was known for waxy bad quality oil.

Anyway, Dexos is important because it is a good standard even when not used in a GM you can be assured if it Dexos it is high quality.

I never use conventional oil myself in anything not even lawn mowers. One of my main reasons is people I maintain stuff forget. Once my Dad ran his ram 19,000 on an oil change as he thought had done it or I had. It was PP and a RP filter and it didn’t sludge. I am sure add pack was long gone but still no noticeable damage and still using that 5.7L today and approaching 200k. It is an 09.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Check out the Pennzoil website. Those are two different products. Pennzoil has a newer cheaper oil out. PP and PUP branding is not dying.

I’ll have to take that up with Walmart I do see they decided to give me the FSP vs PP. Still weird they would go without Dexos cert.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Pennzoil was crap before SOPUS. Once Shell bought them and Quaker State they both became really good. I don’t know what they wanted to buy a basement dweller to start with but they did. I am sure some really liked those names. Old Pennzoil was known for waxy bad quality oil.

Anyway, Dexos is important because it is a good standard even when not used in a GM you can assured if it Dexos it is high quality.

I never use conventional oil myself but in anything not even lawn mowers. One of my main reasons is people I maintain stuff forget. Once my Dad ran his ram 19,000 on an oil change as he thought had done it or I had. It was PP and a RP filter and it didn’t sludge. I am sure add pack was long gone but still no noticeable damage and still using that 5.7L today and approaching 200k. It is an 09.

SOPUS (Shell) bought Pennzoil & Quaker State brands for their consumer distribution network. Shell never played much in the consumer market, only industrial, commercial, aviation.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
SOPUS (Shell) bought Pennzoil & Quaker State brands for their consumer distribution network. Shell never played much in the consumer market, only industrial, commercial, aviation.

I'm unclear what Shell is up to here. They spanked Mobil pretty good with the GTL intro and the Sequence IIID test results. Has API SP impacted cleanliness?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I’ll have to take that up with Walmart I do see they decided to give me the FSP vs PP. Still weird they would go without Dexos cert.

Because of this:

Any brand of oil that displays the dexos™ logo is adequate to meet GM warranty requirements. At the time of this writing, oil producers that wish to display the dexos™ logo, get to pay GM a fee of $1000.00 per product licence. An additional charge of $0.36 per gallon also applies.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
That makes sense. Everyone trying to get some money from everyone else.

So, when you buy PP, you also give GM money, about 9 cents per quart. When you buy Mobil 1, you also pay NASCAR, wether you want it or not. Even you buy Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 Euro oil.

I think that Pennzoil might kill the Ultra Platinum lineup with the only oil left being the SRT 0W-40. See, Pennzoil did it backwards. Chrysler wanted a mid-SAPS oil that was "special" and "tailored" to their performance vehicles, just like GM had Mobil 1 make Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 for the Corvette and Camaro. While Mobil 1 easily derived it from their existing ESP lienup, Pennzoil had to justify creatiting a new formulation, so the new Ultra lineup was born (the old one had better motor oils). It's not the formulation that is expensive to design, but rather the specific materials that go into it. Now, if you can sell several products using the same materials, it's easier to justify. Have you guys noticed how PUP is sometimes out of stock for weeks on end?

Pennzoil doesn't have a premium product to compete on the shelves with the other majors, so I believe that something will happen with the PUP lineup. I mean, honest go God the HEMIs would have been just fine on Castrol EDGE 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 or any thick 5W-30 oil like an ACEA C3 oil. I bet you could run Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 in an SRT motor without ill effects. It's designed for pushrod engines, yet it "only" has 80 ppm of Moly.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Anyway, Dexos is important because it is a good standard even when not used in a GM you can be assured if it Dexos it is high quality.

I never use conventional oil myself in anything not even lawn mowers. One of my main reasons is people I maintain stuff forget. Once my Dad ran his ram 19,000 on an oil change as he thought had done it or I had. It was PP and a RP filter and it didn’t sludge. I am sure add pack was long gone but still no noticeable damage and still using that 5.7L today and approaching 200k. It is an 09.
I agree. They have really come up in quality. That being said I still am not sure that I trust them to protect my engine. Just my .02. The old pennzoil looked like water going in and even worse coming out. It always looked dirty to me going in and black gold coming back out. It always looked like it had been ran 10-15k miles vs the 3k miles that it was typically at.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I agree. They have really come up in quality. That being said I still am not sure that I trust them to protect my engine. Just my .02. The old pennzoil looked like water going in and even worse coming out. It always looked dirty to me going in and black gold coming back out. It always looked like it had been ran 10-15k miles vs the 3k miles that it was typically at.

To me Pennzoil is not even close as scary as Valvoline. From 2008 to 2010 I did a long term test with Valvoline. Back then if I started with an oil brand in a vehicle I stuck with it. I ran their 5W-20 Synthetic, whatever their top tier was called back then, for 7500 mile OCIs in a 2.7L MPI engine in a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 5 speed manual. I did a lot of highway driving. Around 32000 miles the motor started ticking. It was a sticky lifter. At the time I didn't know it, but you could get a sticky lifter in those engines from "quality" oil. My dad also had a 2.7 Santa Fe at the time, but he used Mobil 1 and never developed that problem.

My point is that for a few dollars less than Castrol or Mobil 1, why would I buy Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Quaker State at Walmart? It's not like by doing so I'm supporting some "underdog" company that makes a superior product for less money, because SOPUS is anything but small. Neither is Valvoline, though it's much much smaller than SOPUS.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me Pennzoil is not even close as scary as Valvoline. From 2008 to 2010 I did a long term test with Valvoline. Back then if I started with an oil brand in a vehicle I stuck with it. I ran their 5W-20 Synthetic, whatever their top tier was called back then, for 7500 mile OCIs in a 2.7L MPI engine in a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 5 speed manual. I did a lot of highway driving. Around 32000 miles the motor started ticking. It was a sticky lifter. At the time I didn't know it, but you could get a sticky lifter in those engines from "quality" oil. My dad also had a 2.7 Santa Fe at the time, but he used Mobil 1 and never developed that problem.

My point is that for a few dollars less than Castrol or Mobil 1, why would I buy Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Quaker State at Walmart? It's not like by doing so I'm supporting some "underdog" company that makes a superior product for less money, because SOPUS is anything but small. Neither is Valvoline, though it's much much smaller than SOPUS.
I also ran Valvoline in a brand new cobalt back in 08-11. It was so loud. I always let the GM dealership do it. That was GM's preferred oil. They had big banners and everything. I have not ever heard good things about it long term. I didn't know it was crap back then. This before really alot was known of good oil vs bad oil. As far as a factory oil goes, I like fords line of Motorcraft. I ran a lot of filters and the entire 194k of my 04.5 F150 5.4 3vs life thats all that it had in it. Never one issue with anything. I sold it at 194k and it was still a excellent and powerful engine for what it was.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I also ran Valvoline in a brand new cobalt back in 08-11. It was so loud. I always let the GM dealership do it. That was GM's preferred oil. They had big banners and everything. I have not ever heard good things about it long term. I didn't know it was crap back then. This before really alot was known of good oil vs bad oil. As far as a factory oil goes, I like fords line of Motorcraft. I ran a lot of filters and the entire 194k of my 04.5 F150 5.4 3vs life thats all that it had in it. Never one issue with anything. I sold it at 194k and it was still a excellent and powerful engine for what it was.

Philips 66 makes good products. So does Chevron. Valvoline is like AMSOIL in that they try to offer a product for every application, however, they're quite the opposite when it comes to quality.

Shell was never considered anything special in Europe when it comes to motor oils, and still isn't. Their product lines are even more confusing over there. In Europe, most people that don't want to know too much about motor oil just use Castrol, LiquiMoly, Esso, Aral, etc. Castrol is still very popular, and for good reason: it's a decent product. For Mobil 1 products you pay a premium that many are not willing to do. Motor oil is expensive in Europe, so it has to be good to command a premium. Also, you will not find "High Mileage" motor oils in Europe. That's because they don't kill their engines by running thin oils in them for the first few years, but rather they run a manufacturer-approved oil. Because vehicle inspections are much more stringent in Europe, a poorly maintained vehicle can take it off the public roads much faster than a dead engine.

My point is that Shell isn't "all that." They're great in the commercial space, but still have ways to go in the consumer market. Not even two years ago I was in a bind and did a dealer oil change in my 2018 Hyundai. They use some 5W-30 Shell-supplied "synthetic-blend." The same crap is supplied to all the dealerships in the area. In less than 5000 miles I saw light-brown varnish deposits all the way to the oil filler cap. So they still sell a lot of crap. Probably all manufacturers do, but I have yet to find a reason to buy their products. I tried PUP 5W-30 and it was basically 5W-20. I have to admin though that the new Quaker State Euro 5W-40 has me intrigued as it's got a bunch of approvals and it's API SP.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have run Valvoline full synthetic in our Wrangler's, and currently in my 2013 Hemi. I haven't had any issues, but some of you are saying it is "crap". Prior to that I used Amsoil, but it was getting harder for me to get it, and that was the reason for the change. Without breaking the bank with Redline, or Amsoil, I'm really open for suggestions. Or if the two previous mentioned oils are the best, I would consider going that route.
Thanks for any input, and I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions..

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Philips 66 makes good products. So does Chevron. Valvoline is like AMSOIL in that they try to offer a product for every application, however, they're quite the opposite when it comes to quality.

Shell was never considered anything special in Europe when it comes to motor oils, and still isn't. Their product lines are even more confusing over there. In Europe, most people that don't want to know too much about motor oil just use Castrol, LiquiMoly, Esso, Aral, etc. Castrol is still very popular, and for good reason: it's a decent product. For Mobil 1 products you pay a premium that many are not willing to do. Motor oil is expensive in Europe, so it has to be good to command a premium. Also, you will not find "High Mileage" motor oils in Europe. That's because they don't kill their engines by running thin oils in them for the first few years, but rather they run a manufacturer-approved oil. Because vehicle inspections are much more stringent in Europe, a poorly maintained vehicle can take it off the public roads much faster than a dead engine.

My point is that Shell isn't "all that." They're great in the commercial space, but still have ways to go in the consumer market. Not even two years ago I was in a bind and did a dealer oil change in my 2018 Hyundai. They use some 5W-30 Shell-supplied "synthetic-blend." The same crap is supplied to all the dealerships in the area. In less than 5000 miles I saw light-brown varnish deposits all the way to the oil filler cap. So they still sell a lot of crap. Probably all manufacturers do, but I have yet to find a reason to buy their products. I tried PUP 5W-30 and it was basically 5W-20. I have to admin though that the new Quaker State Euro 5W-40 has me intrigued as it's got a bunch of approvals and it's API SP.
I know back in 90s and early 00s thats what my grandpa and dad ran in our Chevy 6.5 diesel. That was a joke motor in and of its self. Rotella was the oil everyone ran in a diesel. Now in a non diesel I would never touch it. Castrol has long impressed me. I was more then sold after a few oil changes and the quiet of my Ram. After my experience with the Mobil 1 and the tick. I havent tried PUP although I may consider it in the Charger. Its Only had 2 oil changes. I have been reading on Quaker state and it looks like they are heading in the right direction. Still yet again. It was one of those oils you steered clear of back in the day. The Mobil 1 high mileage or the extended perfomance was a joke. I would like to see Mobil 1 get back to the original quality that they use to have.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I have run Valvoline full synthetic in our Wrangler's, and currently in my 2013 Hemi. I haven't had any issues, but some of you are saying it is "crap". Prior to that I used Amsoil, but it was getting harder for me to get it, and that was the reason for the change. Without breaking the bank with Redline, or Amsoil, I'm really open for suggestions. Or if the two previous mentioned oils are the best, I would consider going that route.
Thanks for any input, and I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions.

Valvoline's business is selling in bulk to small businesses and ****** lube. That was Pennzoil and Quaker State as well, and when SOPUS bought them they started making more inroads into the consumer space. The only reason why anyone would buy those at Walmart back in the day was that they only had $25 to spend, and needed a filter to go along with their 5-quart jug, and maybe a snack.

So, unless Valvoline offered something better than Mobil 1, Castrol, or Pennzoil, or even Quaker State, then why buy it? Especially since there is Super Tech, which has proven to be decent oil. Even Quaker State is up there, which kind of makes me wonder why I would even buy Pennzoil Platinum? The three major players plus Warren Distribution leave very little room for Valvoline. Oh, and then there is Havoline ProDS, an excellent Chevron product.

So I'd like to know at least one good reason why I should pick Valvoline over anything else.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW my experience with Pennzoil products.

My tick started when I changed the factory fill with PP 5w20. The motor was quiet as can be on the factory fill which we believe is PYB. After trying just about every oil and viscosity under the sun, including a PUP 5w30/0w40 mix, I quieted it back up with RL 5w30.

Fast forward to 2017, we got a 2017 Grand Cherokee. It was never quiet on startup since it was new. The factory fill which I believe is PP 0w20, rattle like crazy on cols starts. We got 1 free oil change and they put in bulk 0w20 which I believe to be PP 0w20. It was loud AF on cold starts in the winter. Tried PUP 0w20 in it (which was NOT easy to find) and it was basically just as loud. After that I tried in SS 0w20 and it was quiet as can be in cold starts in the winter.

2020, we traded the 2017 in for a 2020 GC. Same thing, rattled on cold starts with the factory fill. We plan on buying this one at the end of the lease so at 1000 miles I put SS 0w20 in. Instantly quiet on cold starts. Just changed it again in the spring with SS 0w20 and it's nice and quiet. Going to keep using SS 0w20 in it.

Point is on 3 different vehicles PP/PUP has made the motors louder. Kinda all set with PP/PUP.

Just my .02

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for any input, and I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions..
I would go with QSUD. Seems to be a good oil with a good amount of moly...