Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
12500 here! Crazy expensive here on long island. I bought 6 years ago this 2nd house so i had a big chunk to put down as i didnt have much left on last mortage. All teachers make over 100k here and we're paying for it, superintendents for schools making 300k to over 400k!

Father in law has 66 acres in Smoky mountains, 3400 taxes and a 3k sqft house on it too.

I cant wait to leave
Yeah, ridiculous. My Sister/BIL just got out of Nassau, they were up to $14k for 3br/2ba on half acre. Outrageous.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I pay $1800 per year in property tax.

Now every time they raise my taxes I get a notice in the mail with a proposed tax hike (its usually because the increase in value or just a raise in taxes.) Its when I receive this notice I can appeal it and state why.. You all should have received these notices as well.. Hell, I even receive that same kind of notice for my property in Nova Scotia Canada.. Don't ignore them if you get them...

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, ridiculous. My Sister/BIL just got out of Nassau, they were up to $14k for 3br/2ba on half acre. Outrageous.
I hate nassua, its becoming the city. Im close to north fork wine country! And we belong to a beach club a mile or so away!
Still cant wait to leave and not pay these crazy prices.

Attachments

• PXL_20210904_231015101.jpg
    PXL_20210904_231015101.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 5

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess it depends on what you consider cheap. I live in Berkeley county and my taxes have doubled in the last 10 years and land and home prices have gone thru the roof. I am also native to this area so I remember what things were like before all the transplants quit moving to Florida and starting coming here instead.

Problem is when one is used to paying $10-12K a year just in property taxes somewhere up North they don't bat an eye at $1500-2K down here and the county knows that. That's why every time a tax increase comes up on the ballot it always seems to pass nowadays because outsiders don't think those pennies add up. I always vote NO to every tax increase but it rarely goes my way anymore.
Its a tough one but taxes drove me out of Illinois. 4 k in 91 and 14500 when we decided to bail on our perfect house. Back to 4 k again minus the libs crime traffic and constant remapping of the flood plain.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Off topic but how many of us cold weather guys heat their homes with wood?
I do burn a good amount of wood, only turn heat on in the am b4 work until i get insert going again. I prolly have 5 cords on hand now.
Have hot water running off 80 gallon heatpump so i only used 108gals of oil last season.
Lotta work collecting/splitting wood! Nothing like the heat though.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I do burn a good amount of wood, only turn heat on in the am b4 work until i get insert going again. I prolly have 5 cords on hand now.
Have hot water running off 80 gallon heatpump so i only used 108gals of oil last season.
Lotta work collecting/splitting wood! Nothing like the heat though.
I used 700 gallons of oil last year. I need a wood furnace bad

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a tough one but taxes drove me out of Illinois. 4 k in 91 and 14500 when we decided to bail on our perfect house. Back to 4 k again minus the libs crime traffic and constant remapping of the flood plain.
I grew up with a wood furnace and a wood stove with water tanks.But too much of a hassle now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I used 700 gallons of oil last year. I need a wood furnace bad
When it comes to cost and energy efficiency, pellet stoves outrank fireplaces and wood stoves. Pellet fuel is cheaper, burns cleaner, and needs less attention to run than making a fire with wood. On a cold day at most I use a bag which is 5 dollars, mind you here that is 40f, some places might use as much as a bag and a half, but I have a large home with open vaulted ceiling. If you decide on pellets, only use hardwood, nothing else, I only use dug fir. I buy them by the pallet, saves about a dollar a bag this way. I use a wisener, if you decide on this I suggest getting the larger version. You see it is gravity fed, you simply drop a bag in and start it with a propane torch, you have heat for 12 hours and then some.

08151531.jpg

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When it comes to cost and energy efficiency, pellet stoves outrank fireplaces and wood stoves. Pellet fuel is cheaper, burns cleaner, and needs less attention to run than making a fire with wood. On a cold day at most I use a bag which is 5 dollars, mind you here that is 40f, some places might use as much as a bag and a half, but I have a large home with open vaulted ceiling. If you decide on pellets, only use hardwood, nothing else, I only use dug fir. I buy them by the pallet, saves about a dollar a bag this way. I use a wisener, if you decide on this I suggest getting the larger version. You see it is gravity fed, you simply drop a bag in and start it with a propane torch, you have heat for 12 hours and then some.

View attachment 473281
I have access to unlimited free firewood as long as i am willing to work for it which cuttin and splittin firewood just happens to be fun to me. The current epa 2020 wood furnaces are very clean to. I doubt cleaner than pellets but they are much better then what was on the market for the past 50 years

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A bag of pellets creates about a pint give or take of ash in the collection chamber, they never smoke except at first when you light them, it will steadily keep your home at the same temp. Our neighbors use another style pellet and has a thermostat just like a regular home heating system, it's a trip. But yeah, if you like bucking wood and you have a free supply close by why not. We have one of those old style fire places small from the 1970's right next to out pellet stove, puts out zero heat in the cold no matter how I use it. I thought about upgrading it and at that time we decided on pellet, works for us.

The downside to pellet stove is how long it takes to heat up the room, but once it does you do nothing your house is 72f all day, that process can take an hour! It is good to have another immediate heat source to aide. But yes, those 100k-300k btu newer epa fire places are great, there is a restaurant here that has one, they work good because they stay hot and heat a house to a much higher temp, and use something like a catalytic convertor to reburn smoke, which I actually think is great. Since you have oil as a back up, that sounds like it would work better.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The modern wood furnaces only smoke on reload and first light as well. Quite impressive honestly. And computer controlled with an adjustable thermostat. Who ever thought this was possible lol. A pellet stove seems like it would be nice for me for supplemental heat when im going to be gone for extended times