Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Occurs during engine transition from lean burn mode to rich burn mode, such as hard acceleration from a stop. Of course, if engine makers wouldn't be cheap and built the engines correctly with the direct fuel injector used ONLY during lean burn mode, and add another injector in the intake manifold used ONLY during rich burn mode, we wouldn't be here discussing it.

<end rant>

Small displacement turbo charged GDI engines without dual injection systems, the low speed pre-ignition event occurs at low rpm and high engine load during the compression cycle. It is caused by poor engine design, along with the use of low octane gasoline. Trying to fix it by reformulating engine oil is just putting a band-aid on the problem. Hyundai's solution was to dump excessive amounts of fuel into the combustion chamber to mitigate the problem. I know, because we had two 2.0 Turbo GDI vehicles in 2013. In 2016, we got rid of them. In 2020 we got a base model Sonata with a 2.5L MPI/GDI engine, and now there is hardly any fuel dilution or soot in the oil.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, we just got a Mazda CX-5 with a GDI turbo 2.5L, so wish me luck. The boy used some of my PUP 5W-30 SP I set aside for this motor for his truck, so all I had left was some SN to put in. At least it's winter time, Ma doesn't pedal-mash, and I hollered at her to use only top tier premium octane gas.

All 3 crossover SUV's she liked had little turbo GDI w*h*i*z motors in 'em. Sheesh. This was the only one without a cheap CVT chainbox on it.

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recommend going 3000. Oil changes are cheap compared to the alternative if you plan on keeping the truck for a while.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recommend going 3000. Oil changes are cheap compared to the alternative if you plan on keeping the truck for a while.

Based on what?

3000 is extreme overkill, you're throwing out brand new oil. All the used oil analysis reports on this forum clearly show that even 5000 is just getting started for modern synthetics.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, we just got a Mazda CX-5 with a GDI turbo 2.5L, so wish me luck. The boy used some of my PUP 5W-30 SP I set aside for this motor for his truck, so all I had left was some SN to put in. At least it's winter time, Ma doesn't pedal-mash, and I hollered at her to use only top tier premium octane gas.

All 3 crossover SUV's she liked had little turbo GDI w*h*i*z motors in 'em. Sheesh. This was the only one without a cheap CVT chainbox on it.
I thing they have came a long way since early di's, use di friendly formulas on a early interval, you will be good. Now I wonder if di's will even be the future or not, it seams like the ruling class will force EV's on us sooner rather then later.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thing they have came a long way since early di's, use di friendly formulas on a early interval, you will be good. Now I wonder if di's will even be the future or not, it seams like the ruling class will force EV's on us sooner rather then later.
They still have a ways to go even with weight reduction i think. I mean correct me if im wrong but the 5th gen rams still have steel bodies correct? Except for the hood. Lots more evs popping up in my area though. Ive never seen so many teslas before this year. They were a rare sighting up here now i see them daily

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They still have a ways to go even with weight reduction i think. I mean correct me if im wrong but the 5th gen rams still have steel bodies correct? Except for the hood. Lots more evs popping up in my area though. Ive never seen so many teslas before this year. They were a rare sighting up here now i see them daily
Aluminum and magnesium cost much more, also deflect 3x more than steel, yielding terrible NVH.
Hence the continued use of HSLA steel alloys.

Rod Knock

Reaction score

Congratulations on the new vehicle, that's an awesome small SUV! The 2.5 Turbo is a torquey little engine. PUP 5W-30 is really good stuff, and so are QSFS 5W-30, Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30, and Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 - they pretty much all do the same thing. The only other oil that I would run in a Turbo GDI if I wanted even more protection is Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-40 API SP. This particular oil is in a class of its own because it's the only API SP approved 5W-40 that I know of, it's LSPI proof, formulated with Ca and Mg, and has a boatload of approvals and certifications. It's actually Shell Helix Ultra (API SP version) 5W-40 in a Quaker State bottle. It doesn't get any better than this. It's the same stuff that Ferrari uses as factory fill for most of the vehicles they make. I actually ran it once in my soot factory of an engine, in the 2.4L GDI in my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. It came out nearly as clean as it went in. I have a huge stash of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, Castrol EDGE 0W-40, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, and Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30 because I kept buying these when on sale or when they had rebates, otherwise I would run QSFS Euro 5W-40 in most of our vehicles. It's awesome motor oil that handles soot really well.

I was surprised to see Ford announce a redesigned Ranger pickup truck with a V6 diesel engine. WTF are they doing after making all sorts of noise about their EV full size teuck?
It's another business move meant to make certain "special interest groups" a boatload of money. EVs are not feasible simply because there aren't enough resources on planet Earth to manufacture batteries to take all the ICE vehicles off the road. Never mind trucks and other commercial vehicles, let alone the strain on the antiquated power grid. Still, many are caught up in the hype, and as long as banks will finance these smartphones on wheels, or toys for grownups, people will overpay for them and buy into the hype. I don't like them one bit and will never own one.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New BG Advanced Formula MOA 115 is guess what? yes sn+, lol wow?

I can only guess huge MAG levels, does anyone have a uoa of this yet? I can only believe if that is the case, this truly would be an upgrade even for the hemi. amazon sells it a little cheaper, I will have to get some of this as I only use two additives for engine oil, we all know the other.

I can't wait for redline to wake up and go full sn+.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
New BG Advanced Formula MOA 115 is guess what? yes sn+, lol wow?

I can only guess huge MAG levels, does anyone have a uoa of this yet? I can only believe if that is the case, this truly would be an upgrade even for the hemi. amazon sells it a little cheaper, I will have to get some of this as I only use two additives for engine oil, we all know the other.

I can't wait for redline to wake up and go full sn+.

BG = ?

Why would Red Line care about LSPI to go SN+ or SP?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To grab the di turbo market. DI Turbo is a large segment only growing, no way would someone with a di want 2500ppm CA.

BGMOA

tbn additive.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
BG = ?

Why would Red Line care about LSPI to go SN+ or SP?

Red Line doesn't have LSPI issues due to the high levels of ZDDP and Molybdenum additives. They quench LSPI. Red Line doesn't care about API and none of their formulations are even in the slightest API compliant, not even API SN, let alone SN+ or SP. And that's fine by me and many others because the API imposes some arbitrary limits on certain additives and viscosities that have nothing to do with common sense, and honestly, are quite stupid. Red Line works just fine in Turbo GDI engines, just ask the many BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and other expensive Euro vehicles owners who use it just fine. LSPI is predominantly an issue in small displacement Turbo GDI engines manufactured by Ford and GM. I don't know about GM, but Ford started installing MPI injectors in current Turbo GDI engines as it is a dead-simple upgrade, and it makes a world of difference, so LSPI going to be a thing of the past. Not so much the crappy API SP oils with poor anti-wear additive levels.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone who use small machines trust 50-1 mix if you use pump gas that is 15% ethanol? Would you offset it with a higher oil rate, such as 40-1, maybe a different oil base 2 stroke such as redline? Or just buy canned 50-1? Buy the time you run 20 gallons of 50-1 true fuel it would likely be the cost of the equipment itself. thoughts?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The cheapest I see true fuel is 28 bucks a gallon, and gas can be bought 4.29 here. So including oil, the pump gas will be 22-23 bucks a gallon cheaper.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Does anyone who use small machines trust 50-1 mix if you use pump gas that is 15% ethanol? Would you offset it with a higher oil rate, such as 40-1, maybe a different oil base 2 stroke such as redline? Or just buy canned 50-1? Buy the time you run 20 gallons of 50-1 true fuel it would likely be the cost of the equipment itself. thoughts?
H*e*l*l no!

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run 50-1 with ethanol free 92

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
cant get that here.

I use e15 pump gas with redline 2 stroke, I am less then thrilled with how it runs until it gets hot. I have even messed with 60-1 redline assuming the esters will give me more protection but run well when cold, still less then thrilled.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Alcohol is a no-no for two-stroke engines. High solvency washes down cylinders and eats elastomers not specifically made for it.
EMA does not support it.
Many states offer m ok noxy high octane just for these engines. They do here in Minnesota. Chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, old outboards and snowmobiles.