Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Seeing as the boat got put in the lake in 57 degree weather, I suppose I've milked my winter oil as long as I should, even for upper Siberia (mid-Minnesota).

Out with Red Line 0W-30, in with Red Line 5W-30..........@ a whopping 3,200 miles. Don't think a UOA is worth it.

Done! @ 3,230 miles, during 53 degrees and rain. Typical weather of early April for around here.

By Saturday the forecast is over 80 degrees and sunny. Ah, American Siberia....
I want the significantly lower shear down and evaporation of the 5W-30 now in hot summer ambient temps and towing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
HPL super car oils. They have 0w30, 0w40, 5w40, and 5w50 all with 750 ppm of moly and pao/ester/AN based

Oh - I didn't see a post on this page with that. Anyway, yeah, HPL is top-notch, for top price. I talked to a guy there and he said they mostly sell bulk to garages and such, not personal consumers.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I used Mobile 1 in my old Colorado I-5 and sold it with 347,000 still running strong with no smoking. Changed filter every 5k and oil every 15k.
Read the oil filter thread, top filter choices will outlast any oil. Look for the spun microglass filtration. I have cut many open even after 2 years and the filters were like new.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am going to remove all but the top and bottom grill shutters on mine soon. From what I have read they don't seem to make any difference in warm up times even in really cold weather but they do appear to make a difference in operating temps. When I am towing my travel trailer up hills on the highway my temps climb more than I like and I suspect the shutters are partly to blame as they are most likely closed.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I think I am going to remove all but the top and bottom grill shutters on mine soon. From what I have read they don't seem to make any difference in warm up times even in really cold weather but they do appear to make a difference in operating temps. When I am towing my travel trailer up hills on the highway my temps climb more than I like and I suspect the shutters are partly to blame as they are most likely closed.
I did that on mine and it worked beautifully afterward. Given that you're up north, you might want to leave the stock thermostat in there, or maybe go down to a 190F. I went to a 180F. The worse winter gets down here is -10C in January and February, but only a few times. Never had a problem with it, even while running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Red Line 5W-30.

damn deer deleted my grill shutters for me
Looks like they're jamming the little motor, that's why you get a check engine light now.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

We've been through this extensively and I will just say this: I extremely doubt your shutters are closed when your engine is reaching excessive temperatures. My doubt is based on 2 reasons: Ram can't be that stupid (can they?), and 2) I have not seen evidence that they are closed at high temps, just speculation.

And one thing I didn't mention before because it just struck me; I just towed last week, and while my oil temps did climb up on long inclines, my coolant temp did not. If the coolant was spiking, then I can see more credibility to that theory that the shutters are closed. But the coolant hung out the entire 5 hour trip, at around 96 C (204 F) give or take. Coolant never got very hot at all, neither did the transmission, but the oil hit a max of 112 C (233 F). 96 is where I sit when I'm driving unloaded, so my coolant never changed 1 degree towing vs non towing. When I sit in the drive through, coolant will spike to 107 and then the fan turns on and it drops to high 90's again.

I'm not really worried about this anymore to be honest. I was going to get my mechanic to put in an oil cooler but apparently all 5th gens already come with heavy duty cooling as standard. Not sure about your 4th gen whether it has the oil cooler.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We've been through this extensively and I will just say this: I extremely doubt your shutters are closed when your engine is reaching excessive temperatures. My doubt is based on 2 reasons: Ram can't be that stupid (can they?), and 2) I have not seen evidence that they are closed at high temps, just speculation.

And one thing I didn't mention before because it just struck me; I just towed last week, and while my oil temps did climb up on long inclines, my coolant temp did not. If the coolant was spiking, then I can see more credibility to that theory that the shutters are closed. But the coolant hung out the entire 5 hour trip, at around 96 C (204 F) give or take. Coolant never got very hot at all, neither did the transmission, but the oil hit a max of 112 C (233 F). 96 is where I sit when I'm driving unloaded, so my coolant never changed 1 degree towing vs non towing. When I sit in the drive through, coolant will spike to 107 and then the fan turns on and it drops to high 90's again.

I'm not really worried about this anymore to be honest. I was going to get my mechanic to put in an oil cooler but apparently all 5th gens already come with heavy duty cooling as standard. Not sure about your 4th gen whether it has the oil cooler.
My oil was rollin around 221 and coolant 212 haulin the ole 59 shasta in 46 degree temps fwiw. Ill let you guys know what temps are when i go home with half the shutters gone lol

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have read all the threads on this and I think Ram can be that stupid. I feel they do stay closed at speed for that ever popular (if not imagined) fuel mileage savings. I see that the shutters do not cover the bottom 1/3 or less of the shutter assembly so the electric fan can kick in and pull more air when the shutters are closed. I would rather have more air flow than that provides. Given that people have seen they are not on many of the newer trucks or any of the older ones leads me to believe that they are just not required. Possibly an experiment that they are moving away from. I intend to keep the stock thermostat because we get real winter here. If I have issues next winter I will put the shutters back in but I don't think that will happen.

Last edited: