Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Chevronphillips chem (cpchem) paos seem to all be higher viscosity index than mobils paos fwiw. Im thinking they may be using small doses of mPAO in some of these oils. However i obviously have no idea for sure as my knowledge on this is limited and all i have to go off of is what i can find on data sheets. I also dont know how mPAOs are used in formulations as the only company i have seen specifically mention them is Driven oils.

PAO is PAO, isn't it? Just how long they react the chain, which determines the base oil viscosity.
Mobil did blend a couple different viscosities on some of the wider SAE grades, still needed some VII.
Back when they had 3 or 4 different raw viscosities.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
email dave hmann...

I wonder if they have a term for pour point depressant that is different then the vii they use? I don't know, like I said minutia, but if you want to take it farther, ask dave directly. the uoas I have seen of 5w20 have zero shear, none.

Nah. Getting into proprietary formulation data. They won't divulge that.

My Red Line 5W-30 also showed zero shear vis @ 2,700 miles last summer. Love the stuff.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Fair enough. But in an academic context, having a higher viscosity base oil with no VII (VM) can be beneficial from a film strength and shear stability standpoint.

Obviously this is probably not a good product to use if it gets below freezing in your area, but it seems like a great idea on paper for the non-hybrid applications that call for a 20wt.

Agreed. My point is he is estimating VII content based on old HTHS published 'typical' data. Don't see the value beyond make-work. If it keeps a guy sane, cool. I do some analysis paralysis myself in these hard times.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
PAO is PAO, isn't it? Just how long they react the chain, which determines the base oil viscosity.
Mobil did blend a couple different viscosities on some of the wider SAE grades, still needed some VII.
Back when they had 3 or 4 different raw viscosities.
Heres chevrons slate of PAO

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And just where did you get the idea of the cooler thermostat and deleted shutters from.Lots of us were doing that long before you were,just saying.In other words who cares who's idea it was,as long as the info gets out there.Mike has done alot for this board,and was the one who talked me into trying out Redline way back on my 13,long before you were around.
It is amazing how ignore button saves your ears from endless bulljive. :)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Heres chevrons slate of PAO

Chevron Philiips?! Is the Standard Oil Trust reconstituted? Sheesh.

I used to be able to see Mobil's slate of PAO's until Exxon gobbled them up again.

Anyway, highest VI I saw was 204, which is indeed high, but not on the scale necessary to make a 15W-40 without VII additive. Oh, well.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A lot of good info here, lately. I thought oil was just oil for the longest. Keep regular oci's and all is good ... nope, more to it than that. I'm learning.

It IS - for engines designed properly. That's the whole point of this.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Check this out! This guy over on the 4R forum pulled a loaded trailer from GA to AZ and back with his 4runner, locked in s4 (towing gear) with steady RPM's around 3000 the 40w held up and produced a fantastic report.

Attachments

• BS.MR.jpg
    BS.MR.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 18

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check this out! This guy over on the 4R forum pulled a loaded trailer from GA to AZ and back with his 4runner, locked in s4 (towing gear) with steady RPM's around 3000 the 40w held up and produced a fantastic report.
one word toyota

They are gems for vehicles, they really are.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this has been Years in the making LOL; looking forward to my first run of Redline. This being a Ram forum I know most don't know that the 4Runner has one of the noisiest engines on the market, usually a bump in viscosity will help but still a noisy 4.0. My 4R just rolled over 60k last week so she's getting a proper fluid overhaul, I'll report back with my thoughts and opinions on the 0w30.
Big thank you to Burla and H395 for all your hard work over the years!

I have a Toyota 4.0L in a 2011 Hilux (Australian Tacoma). It has a TRD supercharger fitted. I've run it on Nulon 10W-40 since about 5,000kM. Toyota recommend 10W-30 but we can get 46degC days in Summer and I tow with it and in those instances they recommend 40W.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
one word toyota

They are gems for vehicles, they really are.
The 4.0 must be a hell of a step up from the 3VZE V-6 I had. That was a complete and utter t-u-r-d. Actually had a lot of trouble with the whole vehicle.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just for longevity and nothing else, it is the 4 banger that is the star. I know some people unhappy with the 6, not the first time I heard that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
finally another MoTDC oil additive, they sell it on amazon, but not in stock.

61VnjZhXSWL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone try/use the Liqui Moly Motor Oil ? I saw it in NAPAs sales flyer
highway

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
TBN will reduce along with vis increase if oxidation is occuring significantly. The alkyl additives used as anitoxidants will be consumed by acidic oxidation products.

It's difficult to assess if there is also shear down occurring simultaneously. The older oils were easier to diagnose.

So the real key is TBN, which of course you need to know the ****** value to assess % depletion. Blackstone provides their recommendation. When you're in the low single digit TBN, you shouldn't run more OCI miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Or use a lab that measures oxidation, many do. The single knock on blackstone. Or do they do oxidation?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or use a lab that measures oxidation, many do. The single knock on blackstone. Or do they do oxidation?

Oxidation is just TAN, the inverse of TBN.
Either way they charge another $10, not everyone will pay this.

I begged them for HTHS and NOACK, wouldn't do those.