Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I did an oil change yesterday for my 2017 HEMI/5.7. This is the third oci using Red Line 5w/30 and all is still good.

I'll post the Blackstone Lab results in that thread when I get that back.

I installed the AMSOIL AEO11 oil filter this time and ain't liking the start-up clatter ... I'll see how that goes ... if it stays or goes away, I'll post my opinion later in the oil filter thread.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In the 1500. Recall those of us "specials" with the 2500 or 3500 and the Hemi.
Unless there is a hose in the way, the bigger filters made for the SRT 6.4 & 6.2 Hellcat HEMIs work just fine in RAM 2500 & RAM 3500 trucks. Not every single truck is built the same way.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I installed the AMSOIL AEO11 oil filter this time and ain't liking the start-up clatter
As embarrasing as this is to admit, some poorly constructed EAO11 filters passed Q&A and they shipped with improperly cut louvers, so the oil will end up circulating through the bypass valve instead of being filtered. Whenever you change your oil next time, take off the filter, drain & clean it, and look inside with a flashlight. You will see right away if the louvers are close and uncut. If that's the case, please contact AMSOIL immediately as they will send you a free replacement and you may ask for an extra one for the trouble. They will more than likely send you a shipping label for the bad filter so they can inspect it. Again, I'm so sorry for your trouble.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I did an oil change yesterday for my 2017 HEMI/5.7. This is the third oci using Red Line 5w/30 and all is still good.

I'll post the Blackstone Lab results in that thread when I get that back.

I installed the AMSOIL AEO11 oil filter this time and ain't liking the start-up clatter ... I'll see how that goes ... if it stays or goes away, I'll post my opinion later in the oil filter thread.
hate that for you, the damn of it is the 2 less holes then the 20-820. Maybe that is part of the issue? The fact is that it was theory the amsoil should perform decently with rp, we just havent had that many people run them in comparison to the 20-820. I'm no longer going to recommend them, with the inlet holes on the 20-820 and the fram xg2, I'd just stay put.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Unless there is a hose in the way, the bigger filters made for the SRT 6.4 & 6.2 Hellcat HEMIs work just fine in RAM 2500 & RAM 3500 trucks. Not every single truck is built the same way.

The cobbled lower rad hose is in the way. It's a real piece of work, I'm not gonna fool with re-routing it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recall 3.2 HTHS. It was definitely lower than 5W-30, in addition to higher NOACK. Which is why I only run 0W-30 in winter.

Speaking of which, it is 18 degrees F as we 'speak" with howling wind up here in the tundra, garden spot of the world. Or maybe North Dakota, the "Garden" State. ha ha ha

Anyway, you get to go 1st, as I pulled a @Burla and hoarded several years of old RL 0W-30. Which I just switched over to just in time.
Damn send some of that heat here,18F is a walk around in shorts and t-shirts kind of day,just looked at my thermometer and it's reading -10F and that's in the heat of the day,lol

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I use Shell Rotella T4/Super Tech HD Diesel Oil now since I don't haul as much as we did while traveling full-time rving. While doing that I ran T5 or T6.

Take a whole 3 gallons of oil too. So depending on availability and price at the time I go from the T4 to or from Super Tech.

No issues with any of these oils well. Had truck now pushing 2 years this coming April and have put on over 31k miles on it. I change out oil every 5-6k miles.

I have never seen Amsoil Diesel oil being sold for $57 a gallon, the current retail is $40.99/ $30.59 member price for 15w40 and until recently you could buy Amsoil 5w40 (member price) cheaper then Rotella T6 at Amazon... I hope you at least are using Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters and not junk Fram...

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Oliie, Ollie ... calm down, dude man. It's just an oil filter that can be replaced with something else that I've used in the past.

Heck, I still have the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter that I took off that looks very good and I wouldn't be afraid to slap that baby right back on there and buzz another 3000 miles.

Oh, I forgot ... lol.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hate that for you, the damn of it is the 2 less holes then the 20-820. Maybe that is part of the issue? The fact is that it was theory the amsoil should perform decently with rp, we just havent had that many people run them in comparison to the 20-820. I'm no longer going to recommend them, with the inlet holes on the 20-820 and the fram xg2, I'd just stay put.
Yep this right here is why I like the RP 20-820 over the Amsoil EAO11. Given the oiling issues these Hemi's have, you want as much volume getting to the top end as possible. The SRT filters have 6 holes but they're bigger than the ones on the RP 20-820.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hmm, an AMSOIL peddler...

Anyway, a change of pace.

I like to listen/watch one of these when I go to sleep. Takes me back to better times and makes me feel younger than I am. Much much younger. ;)

Enjoy:

This one is even better:

Eric

Last edited:

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have never seen Amsoil Diesel oil being sold for $57 a gallon, the current retail is $40.99/ $30.59 member price for 15w40 and until recently you could buy Amsoil 5w40 (member price) cheaper then Rotella T6 at Amazon... I hope you at least are using Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters and not junk Fram...
hmmm looks like its $57 a gallon without paying to be a preferred customer member which you have to pay for btw. Now if you pay for membership - then price will be $44ish. Still MORE than Rotella T6....

And Rotella T6 is $26 a gallon at Walmart - ready for pick-up same day.....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 2

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any harm topping off Redline 5w20 with a quart of 0w40 of Mobil 1 or PP/PUP? Getting more Redline isn't feasible at the moment and my 4th go around with a filter could leave me at 6.5 or 6 quarts in the pan

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Any harm topping off Redline 5w20 with a quart of 0w40 of Mobil 1 or PP/PUP? Getting more Redline isn't feasible at the moment and my 4th go around with a filter could leave me at 6.5 or 6 quarts in the pan
no harm at all, and many have us have had similar journeys with finding what works on these hemis.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
hmmm looks like its $57 a gallon without paying to be a preferred customer member which you have to pay for btw. Now if you pay for membership - then price will be $44ish. Still MORE than Rotella T6....

And Rotella T6 is $26 a gallon at Walmart - ready for pick-up same day.....
You are faced with a tough choice, mate:

Should you pay more than twice for a lubricant that was manufactured by a small blender according to a recipe they received from Lubrizol?

Or should you purchase a lubricant for a fair price manufactured by a well established multinational oil company that spent millions of dollars engineering, testing, and certifying Rotella T6?

Tough choice.

Oh, by the way, Lubrizol, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, supplies Red Line Oil with additives and blending recipes as well. AMSOIL and Red Line shop at the same place, lol.

Another fun fact: the first synthetic API licensed oil that AMSOIL successfully commercialized was 10W-40 (nearly 100% Diester). This oil was developed, tested, and manufactured by Hatco in New Jersey. Al Amatuzio was a heck of a sales guy, so he successfully commercialized it. However, AMSOIL's "first in synthetics" claim is just a marketing gimmick.

Generally speaking, boutique oil blenders are gimmicky, and will make all sorts of wild claim so they can sell their products. Once in a while you can find a product being sold by them that's either not available from the majors, or no longer manufactured by the majors.

However, for most applications, including HEMI engines, off the shelf oils are just fine.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You are faced with a tough choice, mate:

Should you pay more than twice for a lubricant that was manufactured by a small blender according to a recipe they received from Lubrizol?

Or should you purchase a lubricant for a fair price manufactured by a well established multinational oil company that spent millions of dollars engineering, testing, and certifying Rotella T6?

Tough choice.

Oh, by the way, Lubrizol, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, supplies Red Line Oil with additives and blending recipes as well. AMSOIL and Red Line shop at the same place, lol.

Another fun fact: the first synthetic API licensed oil that AMSOIL successfully commercialized was 10W-40 (nearly 100% Diester). This oil was developed, tested, and manufactured by Hatco in New Jersey. Al Amatuzio was a heck of a sales guy, so he successfully commercialized it. However, AMSOIL's "first in synthetics" claim is just a marketing gimmick.

Generally speaking, boutique oil blenders are gimmicky, and will make all sorts of wild claim so they can sell their products. Once in a while you can find a product being sold by them that's either not available from the majors, or no longer manufactured by the majors.

However, for most applications, including HEMI engines, off the shelf oils are just fine.
Im for Rotella T6 150% over amsoil haha

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yes, you can. I would lean more towards M1 FS 0W-40 because it's an awesome oil, however, it doesn't really matter.

FYI: If your HEMI is consuming Red Line, you should know that it's not your HEMI's fault. I have friends who use Red Line in other engines and I've seen Red Line go up in smoke at some unbelievable rates. I'm not saying it's bad oil, I'm saying that quality control might be down the drain since they're owned by a huge corporation now (Philips 66).

Red Line is a majority PAO oil. As much as Red Line and other boutique players, or even big companies like Chevron-Philips would like, they can't get their paws on Shell GTL. Only ExxonMobil and Shell themselves have access to it. As such, it's majority PAO, not POE, like some believe it is. There are many kinds of PAO, and depending how Red Line blended the oil, they sometimes mix high in high volatility PAO, even in oils like 5W-20 or 5W-30. Under high heat conditions, or even just driving normally, those high NOACK PAOs will evaporate first.

Honestly, you'd be better off running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 from Walmart and most likely get better protection from that oil than Red Line. Mobil 1 0W-40 is a GTL+PAO+Ester blend, properly engineered, tested, and certified by ExxonMobil.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (the one you buy at Walmart) is the factory fill for $250K McLaren vehicles, Nissan GT-R, Mercedes AMG, Porsche, and others. If it can reliably lubricate those engines, then I guarantee you that it will do a fine job in a lowly American pushrod engine like the HEMI.

The only thing Red Line will do for you is lighten your wallet.

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, you can. I would lean more towards M1 FS 0W-40 because it's an awesome oil, however, it doesn't really matter.

FYI: If your HEMI is consuming Red Line, you should know that it's not your HEMI's fault. I have friends who use Red Line in other engines and I've seen Red Line go up in smoke at some unbelievable rates. I'm not saying it's bad oil, I'm saying that quality control might be down the drain since they're owned by a huge corporation now (Philips 66).

Red Line is a majority PAO oil. As much as Red Line and other boutique players, or even big companies like Chevron-Philips would like, they can't get their paws on Shell GTL. Only ExxonMobil and Shell themselves have access to it. As such, it's majority PAO, not POE, like some believe it is. There are many kinds of PAO, and depending how Red Line blended the oil, they sometimes mix high in high volatility PAO, even in oils like 5W-20 or 5W-30. Under high heat conditions, or even just driving normally, those high NOACK PAOs will evaporate first.

Honestly, you'd be better off running Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 from Walmart and most likely get better protection from that oil than Red Line. Mobil 1 0W-40 is a GTL+PAO+Ester blend, properly engineered, tested, and certified by ExxonMobil.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (the one you buy at Walmart) is the factory fill for $250K McLaren vehicles, Nissan GT-R, Mercedes AMG, Porsche, and others. If it can reliably lubricate those engines, then I guarantee you that it will do a fine job in a lowly American pushrod engine like the HEMI.

The only thing Red Line will do for you is lighten your wallet.
My Hemi is consuming Redline because of several filter changes due to the bits and pieces of knowledge I stumble upon, and impulse control is one of my many failings, also some things I just gotta find out on my own.

When my engine is quiet I feel it is protected from metal banging together. When it's not quiet that leads me to believe there is higher metal to metal contact. The instant buttery smoothness from the Redline tells me it's the right choice for now and that's on RL 5w 20, the RL 5w 30 will be the tell all come Spring. I'm still in the Voodoo stage as well, another 900 miles or so before the 1,500 mile mark.

The M1 is great oil, used it years ago on a DI turbo eurotrash A4. It's not that cheap though, just spent $11.50 on a quart at Orielys, Pennzoil 0w 40 was $13. The Redline was $16 a quart, a difference of $20-$30 over 6 months which is a fart in a tornado when considering filling up with gas in that time frame will cost $1200 or more