Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
My Hemi is consuming Redline because of several filter changes due to the bits and pieces of knowledge I stumble upon, and impulse control is one of my many failings, also some things I just gotta find out on my own.
Oh wow, you're really struggling. I'm sorry, I had no way of knowing.

The M1 is great oil, it's not that cheap though.
Walmart consistently has it on sale for $24.97 for a 5-quart jug. And when it's not on sale, it's $29.97 per 5-quart jug. Buying oil by the quart, especially from auto parts stores, it's always been a monumental ripoff. Back when I plaid around with Red Line, O'Reilly wanted $80 per gallon of Red Line, and the parts guy said he had to special order it.

Quaker State Euro 5W-40 can be had $22.97 at Walmart. It's Shell Helix Ultra in a different bottle, Ferrari's factory fill. There's cheap, excelent oil out there, and then there is expensive insanity, like Red Line and AMSOIL, for example.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My Hemi is consuming Redline because of several filter changes due to the bits and pieces of knowledge I stumble upon, and impulse control is one of my many failings, also some things I just gotta find out on my own.

When my engine is quiet I feel it is protected from metal banging together. When it's not quiet that leads me to believe there is higher metal to metal contact. The instant buttery smoothness from the Redline tells me it's the right choice for now and that's on RL 5w 20, the RL 5w 30 will be the tell all come Spring. I'm still in the Voodoo stage as well, another 900 miles or so before the 1,500 mile mark.

The M1 is great oil, used it years ago on a DI turbo eurotrash A4. It's not that cheap though, just spent $11.50 on a quart at Orielys, Pennzoil 0w 40 was $13. The Redline was $16 a quart, a difference of $20-$30 over 6 months which is a fart in a tornado when considering filling up with gas in that time frame will cost $1200 or more

Correct - most us us notice this, which is why Red Line is also so popular with Harley bikers - it really quiets the clanking of the air-cooled engines (they have a couple liquid cooled models now, too).

I put it in my bike, and the wise men were correct. It doesn't clank & clunk anymore. Owing to quality synthetic base stocks + heavy antiwear additives + heavier use of Polyol Ester base oil (jet oil), which is a polar molecule which clings to metal surfaces. Yep - you pay extra for it, if you need it. I only use Red Line in the Hemi & the Harley. All else gets PUP.

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh wow, you're really struggling. I'm sorry, I had no way of knowing.

Walmart consistently has it on sale for $24.97 for a 5-quart jug. And when it's not on sale, it's $29.97 per 5-quart jug. Buying oil by the quart, especially from auto parts stores, it's always been a monumental ripoff. Back when I plaid around with Red Line, O'Reilly wanted $80 per gallon of Red Line, and the parts guy said he had to special order it.

Quaker State Euro 5W-40 can be had $22.97 at Walmart. It's Shell Helix Ultra in a different bottle, Ferrari's factory fill. There's cheap, excelent oil out there, and then there is expensive insanity, like Red Line and AMSOIL, for example.
It is a struggle but no need to apologize, it's fun tinkering around in my garage and learning, always learning.

I'll need more convincing to leave Redline right now than it's too expensive. If being careful with money is the goal post I'd have bought an old 5.9 12 valve and driven off into the sunset leaving a trail of soot, but being the reckless that I am went all in on a 5th gen

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
It is a struggle but no need to apologize, it's fun tinkering around in my garage and learning, always learning.

I'll need more convincing to leave Redline right now than it's too expensive. If being careful with money is the goal post I'd have bought an old 5.9 12 valve and driven off into the sunset leaving a trail of soot, but being the reckless that I am went all in on a 5th gen
Tinkering is fun, but you shouldn't beat yourself up. It's up to you what oil and filters (and so on) you use. Just don't lose any sleep over it, not worth it.

I hope this makes you feel better:

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tinkering is fun, but you shouldn't beat yourself up. It's up to you what oil and filters (and so on) you use. Just don't lose any sleep over it, not worth it.

I hope this makes you feel better:

Can I see some ID? 16 will get you 20

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Can I see some ID? 16 will get you 20
Obviously it's a tasteful music video commercially produced by a company, published on Google's YouTube, nonetheless. It doesn't get any more legit than that.

Normal people appreciate quality music and beauty. You're dirty mind went to weird places while looking at a music video. That's not normal.

Sometimes it's a shame to share anything nice or try and help people. No good deed goes unpunished, so it seems.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
hmmm looks like its $57 a gallon without paying to be a preferred customer member which you have to pay for btw. Now if you pay for membership - then price will be $44ish. Still MORE than Rotella T6....

And Rotella T6 is $26 a gallon at Walmart - ready for pick-up same day.....
You may want to do a bit more looking on their web site, like I said current Retail for their standard 15w40 Synthetic Diesel oil is $40.99 see below photo and like I said Until Recently I was able to buy Amsoil oil for a lower price then Amazon or Wally had it listed for earlier this year, but things have Now Changed to where they have lowered the price back down close to where it was in early to mid 2021, I know last years price was $61. for a 3/1 box, I used Rotella T6 5w40 in my old 06 CTD for 8 years...

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 6

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You may want to do a bit more looking on their web site, like I said current Retail for their standard 15w40 Synthetic Diesel oil is $40.99 see below photo and like I said Until Recently I was able to buy Amsoil oil for a lower price then Amazon or Wally had it listed for earlier this year, but things have Now Changed to where they have lowered the price back down close to where it was in early to mid 2021, I know last years price was $61. for a 3/1 box, I used Rotella T6 5w40 in my old 06 CTD for 8 years...
ok then $40.99 minus $26 = $15 bucks per gallon ($45 difference) - if not preferred customer and this price at $40.99 is their standard duty synthetic.

I was quoting the signature series max-duty synthetic earlier when I posted those 2 pics.

still more expensive lmao and T6 which again is $26 where I'm at. Even on Amazon they sell 3 jugs (1 gallon each of T6 for $78.39 which = $26.13)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LSPI info. From his last point, is it safe to infer that low tension rings contribute to the issue?

Let's define "LSPI" firstly.... Low Speed Pre Ignition.
Low speed of what? Why has it become such a problem as of late?

Answers are... Low speed of the piston as it nears TDC (Top Dead Center, NOT Texas Dept. Of Corrections ) big grin! ;)
This issue of LSPI cropped up in recent years for 2 main reasons. First is the higher compression ratios of these new micro GDI/ Turbo engines that manage Horse Powers north of a 1971 455 Olds Motor.

The cause is the newer fuel management systems which actually run Stoic up past 15 to 1. Some going as high as nearly 16 to 1 combined with this new high compression. As the engine spools up on acceleration, it gets to the point of inefficiency and must rely on a transmission to raise gear ratios with road speed. In a regular, old fashioned automatic transmission, as the gear changes, the engine slows down right at the moment of the gear change. This high pressure on a suddenly slowed down piston causes preignition due to such lean ratios ,high pressure, and carbon deposits. Some manufacturers have mitigated LSPI by offering only CVT transmissions to eliminate low piston speed/ high cylinder pressure which causes LSPI in the first place. LSPI is exacerbated when carbon builds up on the piston top and in the cylinder.

New API SP oils are designed to address this phenome.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, I understood it has to do with the injector not changing between lean and rich quick enough.

If it injects rich early under load, it pre-ignites . Compression and boost are too high for rich early fuel injection.

So as it comes off load, it gets some lagging rich injection as piston slows.

Real answer would be faster processor and/or a 2nd injector in the intake port dedicated to lean burn.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The new toyota 0w16 has the same moly count well over 700 as the 0w20 and has the SP rating, point being the RC component of SP doesnt include moly, as that level shows no conserving that resource. The visc is 6.7. So any oil company can chose a moly count that is high and still get api cert, high moly is great for hemi's but also great for di turbo's. 0w20 oem toyo good for hemi's over other 0w20's? That hasnt been the case with what has been reported here, but it has been very limited testing, like one ram that I can think of. If you are gonna run a 0w20, why not chose one with a super high moly count?

As it turns out toyota has a 5w30 as well, does anyone know if that has elevated moly like the 0w20 and 0w16 oils have? Why would toyota do this? You think the engineers at toyota where worried about low viscosities and wanted to add whatever protection they could and still keep the api cert? If so would not that be something we all can respect? Maybe it will only take about 4600 more pages of this thread to start coming up with some good answers.

TGMO 0w16 API SP VOA

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 755
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 204
SILICON 12
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1371
MAGNESIUM 471
PHOSPHORUS 757
ZINC 805
BARIUM 0

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The new toyota 0w16 has the same moly count well over 700 as the 0w20 and has the SP rating, point being the RC component of SP doesnt include moly, as that level shows no conserving that resource. The visc is 6.7. So any oil company can chose a moly count that is high and still get api cert, high moly is great for hemi's but also great for di turbo's. 0w20 oem toyo good for hemi's over other 0w20's? That hasnt been the case with what has been reported here, but it has been very limited testing, like one ram that I can think of. If you are gonna run a 0w20, why not chose one with a super high moly count?

As it turns out toyota has a 5w30 as well, does anyone know if that has elevated moly like the 0w20 and 0w16 oils have? Why would toyota do this? You think the engineers at toyota where worried about low viscosities and wanted to add whatever protection they could and still keep the api cert? If so would not that be something we all can respect? Maybe it will only take about 4600 more pages of this thread to start coming up with some good answers.

TGMO 0w16 API SP VOA

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 755
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 204
SILICON 12
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1371
MAGNESIUM 471
PHOSPHORUS 757
ZINC 805
BARIUM 0

Wonder who's making the oil for them? Probably charge as much as Red Line for the branding.

I'm starting to see they don't need tons of Magnesium to s*n*u*f the LSPI, only had to raise it some and lower Ca some.

Bizarre bot censor, Mods!

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dude - I was there when they only put in cans.
These were right after the cans around 1985-86 i believe. I got a can as well from id guess 84. API SF. I found a VOA online and a simple additive package of 2200 ppm calcium, 1225 ppm phosphorus, 1400ppm zinc. Tbn of 6.8. I also found a PDS of the original mobil 1 5w20 from 1979, cSt @210F of 7.5 and a pour point of -85F

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had never heard of Amsoil or Royal purple til just a couple years ago. True story.

I don't have a loyal brand I use. I just use either of Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol or Mobil1.

Most often I'd say it's Pennzoil, which isn't on the list here.
I run synthetic in the Challenger and conventional in the 07 Ram which don't have the tick and change that one every 3 to 4k miles.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

TGMO 0w16 API SP VOA

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 755
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 204
SILICON 12
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1371
MAGNESIUM 471
PHOSPHORUS 757
ZINC 805
BARIUM 0
It's like there's something to this Moly thing....
200.gif