Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oil Analyzers is owned by Amsoil so there's that...
Yes, and that's why you'll get the best oil analysis money can buy. The results are even better when you use AMSOIL.

amsoil 0w30 ss looks like a good hemi oil.
@Burla you complete me :love62:
5k OCI on Amsoil seems shorter than getting your money's worth, is that more time based with the seasonal switch?
You're right, AMSOIL can go longer than that. A HEMI is not even a GDI engine, so I see no problem in doubling that OCI.
Just happen to have some of this too lol
I have no doubt it will perform well in your HEMI.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
5k OCI on Amsoil seems shorter than getting your money's worth, is that more time based with the seasonal switch?

You are absolutely correct. IMHO, the oil could go much, much longer if I wanted to push it but I don't want to push it. And again you are correct with the seasonal switch. My limited and old brain capacity has a hard time wrapping itself around the idea that an oil can perform well in a 0W-40 throughout this viscosity range. It just seems to me to be asking a lot from one oil. And while I am sure that at least some, if not all, modern oils do fine at this I am just not convinced that they can.

For me, I am not worried about getting my "money's worth" out of my engine oil. I am much more concerned with getting my "money's worth" out of my truck's engine.

I think that it is very important to understand that what might work for me probably won't work for everyone with a Hemi. We all live in different climates and use our trucks in different capacities. What works for one may not work for another. Experimenting and sharing our experiences is what this forum is all about!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wow great find sir thanks for sharing that.

Really shows the issue also facing hemi's as it does say it is a "dodge" issue as well. Certainly makes sense, could it be all of those exhaust bolt issues would be gone if there was a larger portion of the manifold to bolt down? Makes sense, smaller metal dissipates heat faster, so if that is attached to a block that cools slowly because of the size, wouldnt having a larger manifold mitigate cooling time differences?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Color me surprised at this one... Is that the new amsickle?

That schaeffers is even a synthetic blend! Their data sheet says it uses 100% pure parafin base oils and poly alpha olefins. They also use moly in it.
I believe the amsoil severe gear is 100% alkylated napthalene

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The most important additive in a highly-loaded gearbox like spiral bevel and hypoid final drive axles is the additive package.

This is usually SAE GL-5 specification, which means it has a heavy "EP" (extreme pressure) additive package. This is needed because spiral and hypoid gear sets have sliding tooth profile contact, making them very hard to lubricate: keeping oil between the teeth all the way through the mesh slide.

Light antiwear additives like ZDDP (zinc) and MoDTC (moly) are insufficient for these gears. GL-5 level of EP requires SCP packs (sulfur, cholrine, phosphorous). These are extremely aggressive elements that attack metal surfaces much faster than zinc or moly. With heat from gear meshing, they slowly eat away at the steel surface of the gear teeth, forming an interstitial, sacrificial shear layer. The action is slow enough to not adversely affect the backlash during practical gear lifespan. It is an excellent add pack.

You can always tell you have a GL-5 gear lube by the stink of the add pack. Sulfur, chlorine, phosphorous are not delicate scents! I usually get yelled at coming in the house after changing a gear oil due to the lovely fragrance on me.

Final note - GL-5 add pack is so aggressive it can ONLY be used in all-ferrous (iron) alloy gear sets. It eats non-ferrous metals (aluminum, copper, etc) very quickly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No reason number one, gears are rotational they don't have rocker arms or a cam lob that forces them through cylinders like lifters or pistons. And all gear oils are for general use these days, so all of the different clutch options any gear oil will be asked to do can cause issues with anti slip diffs. My guess shaffers doesnt recommend that in any modern diff other then very basic old school open diffs, as for the why do they use it, I can't answer that. Nobody on the planet has a larger commitment to moly then shaeffers, they must have some reason, but for me I would pass on having moly in gears.

It is gl-5, have to look up if ok for anti slip.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Says it is ok for antislip, goes to show you what do I know. It also says it is pao, which might be why it performed that test so well. I don't know of any gear fluid on the shelf except this that has moly, obviously I just learned this one did.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Well guess I will check out Cummins oil test kits next time..
That will work. Blackstone duped people into thinking that they can infer wear from a UOA. That's a fallacy. You can infer viscosity retention (or thickening), fuel dilution, additive depletion (to some extent), contamination from your air filter, coolant contamination, and possibly an incoming catastrophic failure. Though by the time you see triple digits (in the hundreds) of Iron/Aluminum on your UOA, it might be too late. However, you cannot infer normal engine wear from a UOA. Therefore, you want to maximize the return on your investment in that UOA, ergo, don't use Blackstone.

One of my hobbies is high end audio, I'm well aware of confirmation bias. I do however have very good ears. Not only can I hear it, you yourself can actually hear it too on several YT videos floating around comparing the engine noise running one oile (I believe it was amsoil) vs Redline.

I suggest you dig deep down for some humility and try your own experiments, you may actually learn something!
Your comment would have been perfectly acceptable without that last part. I don't have to agree with you, but I can respect your opinion.

And you'd left it at that, it would've been fine. But you had to add a dash of that wonderful personality of yours. I've seen how you treated others in this thread, so it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Gozlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am just about to order RP on the internet. It is not available around me so I will be ordering it with a RP filter as well. Looking forward to my first oil change in a couple weeks. I only had the truck for 2 months so I never needed to do one yet
I've been using RP since 2014 on my 2005, I'm up to 249,000 mi and still runs great as it always has. Good choice.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I was impressed that when starting one of of our work Chargers (2010 5.7, 90,000 miles and lots of engine hours) after it sat for one month (pool car) it was 100% quiet. Not a peep from lifters or anything else for that matter for even a half second. I DON'T KNOW if this speaks to the oil quality, but it has Mobil 1. Has had no engine work other than new water pump, hoses, belt, and radiator. I'm not here to try and preach any particular brand, just sharing an experience.