Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Like page 5000 so I thought I would ask, has anyone ever seen a voa of mos2??

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heres the HPL supercar 0w40

@ramffml i was way off on my moly statement for the euro/supercar oil

Attachments

• 18908910-CE4E-4277-B722-3BB4AC35B2B1.png
    18908910-CE4E-4277-B722-3BB4AC35B2B1.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
sad ecoboost

This was a redesign, like wtf? 2017 to 2020, some numb wit decided to run coolant channels between cylinders right up near head gasket, what could go wrong? A slit for coolant, lol? what good would that even do?

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Heres a VOA for HPLs "overkill" supercar 0w20
That looks like a beefed up additive package. ~800ppm of molybdenum compound? ~950ppm of ZDDP? The VOA shows P and Zn separately so that's a guesstimate on my part. Yeah, that motor oil won't have any problem protecting any engine that it runs in.

He even got his own packaging with his own label and branded the oil "OVERKILL" - "When good enough isn't good enough."

It seems that all the additive levels are beefed up in the "Overkill" 0W-20 when compared to the Supercar 0W-40 that was posted here.

I was wondering why, so I dug a little bit deeper around, using the advanced search function. Looks like "Overkill" might be either a tribologist, a formulator, or both. It seems that he worked closely with HPL to develop this blend and he's running it in his HEMI.

All his posts are written in scientific lingo and they make sense. He provides a wealth of knowledge and information on that forum.

I'm gonna see if I can order this for my truck. I definitively want to try it, plus the name is cool as heck.

1671721906697.png

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sad ecoboost

This was a redesign, like wtf? 2017 to 2020, some numb wit decided to run coolant channels between cylinders right up near head gasket, what could go wrong? A slit for coolant, lol? what good would that even do?

With trying to squeeze out as much HP out of a smaller displacement they need get rid of that extra heat by any means possible. I will take more cubic inches any day over these small motors.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes for sure, but displacement is relative to cylinder size not block size? They could have easily added a real coolant channel between those cylinders instead of a coolant slit? LMAO. But yes this would have required another couple millimeters on each side of the cylinders, maybe 2 or 3 centimeters added to the block size. I can't even believe someone thought that design was a good idea. I would rather die then be on a team like that.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My guess is zero testing other than yep it spins on lol

I've seen this kind of **** at work when big corporations buy up smaller ones and bleed them of profit. The executives push engineers to throw products out the door long before they're ready. I lived that dream the last 10 years of career, and Chrysler's been a play thing for bigger automakers for at least 20+ years.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With trying to squeeze out as much HP out of a smaller displacement they need get rid of that extra heat by any means possible. I will take more cubic inches any day over these small motors.
YUP, why I have a Hemi instead of a V6, now the E Torque V6, or a newer RAM. I be very happy with the aspirated motor, not racing, just runs better. But U know, other haters get on here, but my opinion is: Each to their Own. Why I would never buy a V6 truck, nor the Ford Turbo junk, or a brand new Chevy with a 2.7L turbo pulling a 6,000 lb truck, geez. But all this IMHO.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
YUP, why I have a Hemi instead of a V6, now the E Torque V6, or a newer RAM. I be very happy with the aspirated motor, not racing, just runs better. But U know, other haters get on here, but my opinion is: Each to their Own. Why I would never buy a V6 truck, nor the Ford Turbo junk, or a brand new Chevy with a 2.7L turbo pulling a 6,000 lb truck, geez. But all this IMHO.

I will still take a natural aspirated over those small turbo engines.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will still take a natural aspirated over those small turbo engines.
YUP, not care if something is faster. Get me to Point A, B, A, have heat, AC, radio, I';s good.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much did you pay for your truck? Because these things go between 45k to 80k. Let's say you pay 50k for a nice Ram, are we really quibling about an extra 30 bucks twice a year for a top tier oil? I spend more on coffee in the drive through during that time period when it'd be far cheaper to make it at home.

Sometimes we're are our own worst enemy. I get it, I have the same instincts when it comes to not wasting money, but when it comes to my truck I've long accepted that it's going to cost a few bucks extra every month for proper gas (89 to 91) and proper oil.

After you make that decision and mentally set aside the budget for it, it hurts less when the time comes to put the cash on the counter
It will never cease to amaze me how folks will jump over a dollar to save a dime, then try to polish the brass on the Titanic. During last year's 5+ dollar a gallon fuel, several of my customers decided to buy non top tier fuel to save maybe 50 cents per gallon on fill ups. This, in spite of me constantly cluing them in to the dire necessity of using top tier fuel.

Sure enough, 3 of them cam in with check engine lights on, and ash on the spark plugs and on the oxygen sensors, sporting numerous DTC's. These 3 had to have new plugs, all the oxygen sensors, and new catalytic converters.

The total tally on them was a lot. The savings was nil. In the big picture of life, there are few shortcuts which work effectively. The piper must be paid, so to speak.

The same goes for top tier oil.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As someone that has to deal with his Kids car, Turbo GMs are trash !

Not denying your experiences, but care to elaborate?

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I do think that 2.7 in the 2019+ 1500 is on a different level from their cheap economy car engines. I'd never pay extra as an upgrade for that motor, but if you're buying a work/base truck and the choice is between the 3.6 pentastar and the 2.7 turbo, I'd take a risk on the turbo simply because it actually drives and feels like a v8. Gobs of low end torque, 430 lb/ft which is 20 more than our hemis, and not only does it have more peek torque than our hemi it also has more torque way down below, meaning you don't have to wind it up as high. Longevity YTBD.

I love the hemi for the most part, but lets be honest, it doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for longevity either although for us the lifter tick either hits you or doesn't, and most never have any issues.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This, in spite of me constantly cluing them in to the dire necessity of using top tier fuel.

Sure enough, 3 of them cam in with check engine lights on, and ash on the spark plugs and on the oxygen sensors, sporting numerous DTC's. These 3 had to have new plugs, all the oxygen sensors, and new catalytic converters.
I had no idea using TT fuel was a "dire necessity", since minimum standards for all fuels are already mandated. I totally agree TT is "better", and I use it 95%-98% of the time myself, but a gazillion miles are driven with the cheapest bargain gas people can find and their vehicles still outlast 200K miles.

"While using low to mid-level doesn’t cause damage, it doesn’t help either."

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
sad ecoboost

But by golly it gets great gas mileage before the head gasket blows:cool:

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
It will never cease to amaze me how folks will jump over a dollar to save a dime, then try to polish the brass on the Titanic. During last year's 5+ dollar a gallon fuel, several of my customers decided to buy non top tier fuel to save maybe 50 cents per gallon on fill ups. This, in spite of me constantly cluing them in to the dire necessity of using top tier fuel.

The total tally on them was a lot. The savings was nil. In the big picture of life, there are few shortcuts which work effectively. The piper must be paid, so to speak.

The same goes for top tier oil.
COMPLETELY agree. Tired of telling my friends. They keep coming back with "all gas is the same". I have to repeat "yes, but not all additives or the amount of additives". Screw it. Let them have problems; I tried.