Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Allthough some of redline's formulas such as 0w40 shear down 3 points or more, so it is a bit confusing. Why from the beggining I said avoid redline's 0w40's and move to 0w40's that have good specs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sure, but the vii-less HPL pils don't, and can't have wide vis range like a 0W-40, so my take is it is some weird boutique oil for BITOG snobs in arid climates.

That said, why would you just by any brand's narrow vis range oil in the 1st place?
Just bizarre to me. I wouldn't cater a new product just to BITOG unless I knew there was serious purchase volume behind it. That's how we ran our business's, anyway.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
HPL has very good marketing, maybe not so good distribution. Redline is so stupid for allowing BITOG to exist without jumping all in. They certainly had the money, they opt to sponser grass roots racing. I feel dollars would much better be spent at BITOG. Ship sailed at this point. They should have hired a pr firm, my guess the first recommendation would have been sponser bitog, have giveaways and discounts, have white paper, mix PR and marketing. Nowadays with stupid pricing who knows if the cult following will be the same.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sure, but the vii-less HPL pils don't, and can't have wide vis range like a 0W-40, so my take is it is some weird boutique oil for BITOG snobs in arid climates.

That said, why would you just by any brand's narrow vis range oil in the 1st place?
Just bizarre to me. I wouldn't cater a new product just to BITOG unless I knew there was serious purchase volume behind it. That's how we ran our business's, anyway.
I think the reason they are able to do this at request of members is due to them being primarily an industrial lubricant company with plenty or race teams using their products however their sponsorship is lubricants provided only. They dont pay to have their logo on a car. Their PCMO/HDEO/euro oil products are a small part of the company so that gives them more freedom to play around with requests. I dont see what else could be requested or them though. They make every viscosity imaginable and in just about every form.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wouldn't cater a new product just to BITOG unless I knew there was serious purchase volume behind it.

Actually that's just another reason why I'll be sticking with HPL in the future. He's very active on BITOG, loves to chime in with (obviously) expert data and opinions, and not afraid to try something like this. He's also not afraid to credit other brands that have great oil (mobil 1 fs 0w-40).

I'll probably stick to the PP or Euro flavour, but these guys are classy and top notch in every way. This lastest oil is just another proof of that.

I never had hemi tick so I'm not worried about switching loyalty from RL. I'm sure both oils are top notch, but I love it when companies are involved "head first" with their customer base.

Another brand that does this is Emotiva which makes killer home audio gear at great prices, and they've got my loyalty as well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm not afraid to use HPL at all. I just question the applicability of a no-vii oil. I had terrible experience @ BITOG, I don't lend them much credence to much of anything.

Neither do I have loyalty to a brand - I don't define my persona by some corporation, lol. I never heard of Red Line until I came here, knowing Hemi lifter and cam destruction was a concern. All this is about is reasonable alternatives to mitigate that failure mechanism. I don't see any advantage in HPL no vii. At all. For the reasons I stated.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had terrible experience @ BITOG, I don't lend them much credence to much of anything.

I read the forum off and on, they've got their experts and enthusiasts and newbies just like us and other forums, but yeah I don't know what happened with you there so my view might be rose colored yet.

I don't define my persona by some corporation

Well. I don't believe I went that far lol. I generally don't do brand loyalty either (I'm not loyal to Ram and will switch to another brand next truck if they have something better for my usage and criteria), but I'm definitely loyal to local mom and pop shops here where I live, generally far less so the bigger the company. But I just like the way HPL is conducting themselves, they are honest and transparent.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Our experiences with BITOG were even before HPL sponsored? Plus they gave us our own discount, not since Pennzoil have we had that. It seams like a well built oil, another boutique is good. However, this is my last time trusting anything new, next time I am gonna find me a 90's ford with a 351 and just get a new crate and call it a day. Go back to forgetting everything about motor oil. You can build out a 90's ford everything new and have it cost maybe 1/2 of a new vehicle price. I don't care about the mileage either, I will rock that 11 mpg's all day.

I might get me one of the 20-820 relocate kit though, on my ford.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, I'm not sure if I should say that my HEMI is doing really well on the Red Line 5w/30 and AMSOIL EAO11 oil filter combo. LOL ...

But as long as long as my HEMI is running fine with this combo, I'll stay with it.

However, I'll be going back to using an Royal Purple 20-820 on the next oci as I will just feel better using it over the "others".

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, I'm not sure if I should say that my HEMI is doing really well on the Red Line 5w/30 and AMSOIL EAO11 oil filter combo. LOL ...

But as long as long as my HEMI is running fine with this combo, I'll stay with it.

However, I'll be going back to using an Royal Purple 20-820 on the next oci as I will just feel better using it over the "others".
oh yeah, I'm with you on that 1. Hemi Honey

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla I seem to remember you advising that any oil with a large amount of moly would be good enough for our engines.. How do we know how much moly does an oil have?
Does Castrol Edge fit into the category?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Google uoa or voa and the oil you are considering. Last time I looked they don't use moly but titanium, so I'm not sure sure if the latest voa's or uoa's show moly on that oil.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Our experiences with BITOG were even before HPL sponsored? Plus they gave us our own discount, not since Pennzoil have we had that. It seams like a well built oil, another boutique is good. However, this is my last time trusting anything new, next time I am gonna find me a 90's ford with a 351 and just get a new crate and call it a day. Go back to forgetting everything about motor oil. You can build out a 90's ford everything new and have it cost maybe 1/2 of a new vehicle price. I don't care about the mileage either, I will rock that 11 mpg's all day.

I'm with you.

I remember when we didn't have to have owner's clubs to figure out how to keep overly complicated engines running. Had more time to focus on using and enjoying.

That said, I'll repeat I'm enormously grateful for this Forum and the generous members. Burla knows why BITOG isn't helpful - an extreme clique of close-minded haters.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just arrived here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada from Summit Racing - YeeeeeHaaawwwwww!!
12 x RP 20-820 filters
12 x RL 5W30 HP oil
$1,521.00 CDN all in (cost with exchange, shipping & duty)
Not an inexpensive purchase, but one worth every penny for the long term benefits for our HEMI's.
Thanks to ALL on this Forum for your help (and this thread too!) in bringing awareness and expertise so we can enjoy great and long term ownership experiences.

Attachments

• 20230112_124844.jpg
    20230112_124844.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230112_125048.jpg
    20230112_125048.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I’d go south and find a decent Ram , body and frame, with the 5.9 Cummins and new venture 6 speed manual.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How much is Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in Canada?

I doubt that'll be hard given your lack of knowledge.

Sounds like lamenting to me. You can still "focus and enjoy", yet you choose to be here.

And yet, I don't see the folks on BITOG pointing fingers over here. In fact, most of BITOG doesn't even know that RamForum exists. So then, this begs the question: who is the "extreme clique of close-minded haters"?
Nope, but there is a lot of hate for Chrysler on bitog.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I actually came to ramforum through reading BITOG first. Here is my first post on ramforum thanking Burla and others for their tests on tick etc.

So yeah, I know BITOG has issues, but I think if one wades .... "carefully" ? ... then it can still be valuable. I read from time to time. I don't think we all agree here 100% either but I do think this forum is more friendly and inviting for the most part. Disagreement is healthy, iron sharpens iron. As long as it doesn't devolve into trolling (which I've been guilty of here a time or two) I'm ok with a little spirited discussion.

As for the chrysler hate, oh well. Their loss there too.