Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For race car markets? Red line target market is racing - why would racers care about API SP and LSPI and max fuel economy?

Wouldn't they care more about load carrying? The last thing I'd think formula 1 type racers would care about is a watered-down oil for city cars?

If Red Line is marketing to consumers instead of racers, they have a lot of work to do in marketing and base oil rationalizing.
I would wager good money their passenger car high performance oil outsells their race oils head and shoulders.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Essentially its just an ester additive. Its 90 percent group 3 base oils and 10 percent TMP (tri methylol propane) ester and nothing else really.
Tks travis. Just sounds gimmicky to this old cynic.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Time to dilute the MOPAR slop in my 66RFE transmission with some good stuff!

View attachment 511491

Have you done this yet? FWIW when I first changed my trans fluid at 21k or so, I used Castrol Transmax ATF4 and it shifted noticeably better than the factory fill. Wasn't expecting that at all but I was pleasantly surprised. Curious to see what going from the Mopar ATF4 to C+ does for you...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I said I was going to do it and I did. The truck has Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20 in her now. Yes, you read that right, 0w20. I figured why not really see if it will tick on it. Plus I don't tow this time of year and my truck is basically a commuter vehicle.

If it doesn't tick like sewing machine, we have a cheap off the shelf oil for noisy Hemi's. If it does, well I'm out about $59 and I have plenty of RL 5w30 to quiet it up again.

I'll update when I have some miles on it.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just came across this link..

It would appear that Toyota brand oils have quite a good amount of Moly. Add the fact that most Toyotas run 10W30 - 10W40 where I live, I guess that might give an indication as to why they have that reputation for reliability and the ability to go on and on.
Now compare that to the uoa for Redline 0w20..

In addition, the oil is readily available in the market here in Dubai and is real cheap?

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just came across this link..

It would appear that Toyota brand oils have quite a good amount of Moly. Add the fact that most Toyotas run 10W30 - 10W40 where I live, I guess that might give an indication as to why they have that reputation for reliability and the ability to go on and on.
Now compare that to the uoa for Redline 0w20..

In addition, the oil is readily available in the market here in Dubai and is real cheap?
Toyota 0w20 was tested way back when right @Burla ?

I dont think the results were very good

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Toyota 0w20 was tested way back when right @Burla ?

I dont think the results were very good
In the small sample size 1 or 2 rams, I forget, it appeared the toyota motor oil was not successful at dealing with the tick in that engine. Doesn't mean it wont, and it doesnt mean it isnt a good oil for the hemi especially in cold regions for guys who run 0w20, but with a small sample size it is hard to gauge.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Have you done this yet? FWIW when I first changed my trans fluid at 21k or so, I used Castrol Transmax ATF4 and it shifted noticeably better than the factory fill. Wasn't expecting that at all but I was pleasantly surprised. Curious to see what going from the Mopar ATF4 to C+ does for you...

Nope - just squirreling away supply since we never know when something is out of stock.

Weather's got to improve before I do it, even with a barn. Winter weather's kicking my a$$ record snow and ice storms. Except the boy has torn apart motorcycle parts strewn all over the floor!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well I said I was going to do it and I did. The truck has Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20 in her now. Yes, you read that right, 0w20. I figured why not really see if it will tick on it. Plus I don't tow this time of year and my truck is basically a commuter vehicle.

If it doesn't tick like sewing machine, we have a cheap off the shelf oil for noisy Hemi's. If it does, well I'm out about $59 and I have plenty of RL 5w30 to quiet it up again.

I'll update when I have some miles on it.
wow, well ok then. gl

I have a couple great drive throughs here, I swear I am passing with flying colors the drive through tick test. For me I am not changing anything.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't, I don't know when to stop lol
Red Line 5W-30 is a monograde - it does not contain any viscosity improvers. None! That's one cause for deposits. Another thing about Red Line 5W-30 is that it contains POE and other cleaning esters. It cleans very well. It even cleans the plastics inside an engine. It cleans and keeps clean.

Valvoline 0W-20, and Valvoline motor oil in general: it's terrible. It's formulated cheap. Their synthetic branded oils are Group III with Group I additive carrier and an additive package from Lubrizol, same as my beloved AMSOIL.

Given enough time the Valvoline will start to make its varnish deposits and when that happens you'll be back to ticking in no time. Then you have to run Red Line for at least a couple thousand miles to get rid of the "dreck" that Valvoline left behind.

Just something to consider.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Red Line 5W-30 is a monograde - it does not contain any viscosity improvers. None! That's one cause for deposits. Another thing about Red Line 5W-30 is that it contains POE and other cleaning esters. It cleans very well. It even cleans the plastics inside an engine. It cleans and keeps clean.

Valvoline 0W-20, and Valvoline motor oil in general: it's terrible. It's formulated cheap. Their synthetic branded oils are Group III with Group I additive carrier and an additive package from Lubrizol, same as my beloved AMSOIL.

Given enough time the Valvoline will start to make its varnish deposits and when that happens you'll be back to ticking in no time. Then you have to run Red Line for at least a couple thousand miles to get rid of the "dreck" that Valvoline left behind.

Just something to consider.

Where is the data showing RL 5W-30 has no VII additive?

I recall, fuzzily, from Mkbil Lube School even all PAO 5W-30 needed some VII, just not nearly as much as a GROUP II and III base oil.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I believe when someone asked Dave at Redline about VIIs he said 5w20 has 0 and 5w30 has "minimal"...

That's what I recall - 5W-20 and 10W-30 are without VII if PAO and or PAO/POE base oil.

Not sure about API Group III quasi-synthetics (I'm an old-timer). Since these base stocks aren't as hydro-saturated as pure Group IV & V, I'd assume they'd need more VII additive to overcome the lower viscosity index.

So anyway, my assessment is the 5W-30 provides the widest range of temperature and load lubrication without sheardown at lower OCI's like most of us do ~ 5,000 miles.

0W-40's I'd have heartburn with in hot climes and high loads. Which brings me to HPL's 0W-30 with all PAO base oil + shear-resistant star polymer VII additive. Itching to try in summer heat and high tow load.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I just did my maiden oil change yesterday with the RL 5W30 HP oil and the RP 20-820 oil filter and have about 300Km's so far on it.

I was using either Castrol or Pennzoil 5W30 synthetic and a Delco or Mopar oil filter, and doing 6,000km intervals. My oil was always clean and my engine performed well with little in the way of any abnormal noises internally. But, I wanted to ensure longevity, and at almost 120,000Km's in just over 3.5 years of ownership I felt it time to put the best oil and filter to use and keep my HEMI happy.

The only hiccup was initially getting this new wider oil filter on as there is wiring of some sort that runs right up beside the oil filter base. I had to tuck it up and out of the way, and ensure it wasn't getting pinched between the oil filter and side. All was good and no issues or leaks.

Wow....what a huge improvement on feel, performance, and just a happier and more responsive engine overall now. I'm going to extend the intervals to a maximum of 8,000Km's (5,000 miles) based on what the brain trust in this forum indicate as a good timeline on this combo of oil and filter.

Thanks again to All here for the great information, hands-on experience, and recommendations.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's what I recall - 5W-20 and 10W-30 are without VII if PAO and or PAO/POE base oil.
All the oils bellow are blended without VII. You could say that the 5W-30 Euro is a better version of Red Line 5W-30 with a beefier additive package, POE, Esters, and AN. Come to think of it, it is better.
As how it's made without VII, it comes down to four simple letters: mPAO.

1674187434592.png

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I just did my maiden oil change yesterday with the RL 5W30 HP oil and the RP 20-820 oil filter and have about 300Km's so far on it.

I was using either Castrol or Pennzoil 5W30 synthetic and a Delco or Mopar oil filter, and doing 6,000km intervals. My oil was always clean and my engine performed well with little in the way of any abnormal noises internally. But, I wanted to ensure longevity, and at almost 120,000Km's in just over 3.5 years of ownership I felt it time to put the best oil and filter to use and keep my HEMI happy.

The only hiccup was initially getting this new wider oil filter on as there is wiring of some sort that runs right up beside the oil filter base. I had to tuck it up and out of the way, and ensure it wasn't getting pinched between the oil filter and side. All was good and no issues or leaks.

Wow....what a huge improvement on feel, performance, and just a happier and more responsive engine overall now. I'm going to extend the intervals to a maximum of 8,000Km's (5,000 miles) based on what the brain trust in this forum indicate as a good timeline on this combo of oil and filter.

Thanks again to All here for the great information, hands-on experience, and recommendations.

I do 10,000 km or 6215 miles on any synthetic. I would at least run your Redline that far or you are wasting money IMO. Many people run it longer.