Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi all,

Oil question for you!

So I got a 2022 tundra with the v6 turbo, and plan on getting oil changes every 5k miles.

I got prepaid maintenance/oil changes from the Toyota dealership every 5k miles. I like this idea as it saves me a lot of time and is convenient.

I'm however worried that they might be using very cheap bulk oil to do their oil changes. I've heard that dealerships usually use cheapest oil and not Oem.

Questions:

1. How can I verify which oil they use and if it's good enough?

2. Should I get Blackstone test done right after the oil change was done? And do send ****** oil sample to Blackstone to compare brand new oil and what Toyota dealership put into my truck?

Do I need to do TBN analysis as well?

What will these oil lab results tell me? Will I be able to figure out which brand/kind they use?

3. Any way to get oil sample out of my Tundra engine without draining oil from the bottom?

Any other comments? No I don't want to do my own oil change :)

20230408_184226.jpg

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Hi all,

Oil question for you!

So I got a 2022 tundra with the v6 turbo, and plan on getting oil changes every 5k miles.

I got prepaid maintenance/oil changes from the Toyota dealership every 5k miles. I like this idea as it saves me a lot of time and is convenient.

I'm however worried that they might be using very cheap bulk oil to do their oil changes. I've heard that dealerships usually use cheapest oil and not Oem.

Questions:

2. Should I get Blackstone test done right after the oil change was done? And do send ****** oil sample to Blackstone to compare brand new oil and what Toyota dealership put into my truck?

What will these oil lab results tell me? Will I be able to figure out which brand/kind they use?

3. Any way to get oil sample out of my Tundra engine without draining oil from the bottom?

View attachment 522407

Imo, as long as the 'yota dealership is performing oci's while it's in warranty you shouldn't stress on what oil/filter is used. If something happens to your engine, it's on them.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

Oil question for you!

Questions:

View attachment 522407
Not all dealers use bulk 50 gallon drums, the Ram dealer that I bought my truck from in 2013 did my free oil change when I first got the truck used bottled Mopar labeled oil. On the slip they give you it should list the Toyota PN for the oil and filter so you could do quick search to see if it's a bottle or a 50 gal drum.

If it doesn't you could always ask them what they use

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi all,

Oil question for you!

Questions:

View attachment 522407
Do you regret going prepaid? If you were concerned on what oil the use you shouldnt have bought it? You can stick a might pump down the dip stick if you want to not milk it from the bottom, also you can put a valve under there to make oil changes easier. So you are done with rams? One couldn't blame you for that with the lemon you got.

The good news Kap, toyota's are not known for engine issues that I know of. If toyota uses thier oem oil it is pretty legendary additive package, high moly good for turbo. Do you know the weight they use? Anyhow, if the moly is super high you will know what they use is oem. Now, before going with blackstone, I would make sure they actually changed the oil at least once, so you know what they are using. And don't be afrain to ask them as well.

Gotta join a tundra forum, see what issues face you. Maybe start a syn thread :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
does anyone know the additive package of the 5w30 oem toyota motor oil?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Trans fluid/filter change in the wifes 2019 Ford Ranger today. Looks just as simple as our trucks beside the location of the stupid trans dip stick. Instead of making it extend all the way up to where you can access it from under the hood it’s actually the short little stub of a dipstick that’s sticking out the side of the trans housing just above the pan.

And im going with OEM fluid as this is a 10speeds. Im a bit reluctant to use some thing other than OEM fluid if it’s not something I drive every day so I can’t tell if the shifting is acting funny. Mercron ULV (Ultra Low Viscosity) says right on the bottle it’s designed for fuel efficiency. Lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
At least it has a dip stick, or you doing the raise the transmission fluid change or something else?

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before purchasing their maintenance deal, id have asked these questions first.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
At least it has a dip stick, or you doing the raise the transmission fluid change or something else?
I know its still before 12noon here but im misunderstanding the question. :anitoof:

Truck has been sitting all night so all the fluid runs out of the torque converter as much as possible anyway. Get the best accurate reading of fluid level.

Pulling the dipstick to check where the fluid level is at first. Then I will drop the plastic pan ( that’s right all the new transmissions have plastic pans) and change the one sump filter. Apparently the gasket for the transmission is reusable on this one. Guess we’ll find out.

The sump filter is clam-shelled plastic with a pleated filter. It looks like an air filter. No stupid press on seal for the trans filter tube like our trans on the RFE’s anyway. Just a slip on rubber……giggity…;)

I also leave all the transmission fluid out in the garage overnight so it’s the same temperature as the fluid in the trans so the levels are the same. Don’t let fluid temperature differences screw your fluid levels because it makes a difference.

I’ll show some pictures later tonight. Trying to get this done so we can go do some downhill mountain biking as a families later today and tomorrow is canoeing and kayaking.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know its still before 12noon here but im misunderstanding the question. :anitoof:

Truck has been sitting all night so all the fluid runs out of the torque converter as much as possible anyway. Get the best accurate reading of fluid level.

Pulling the dipstick to check where the fluid level is at first. Then I will drop the plastic pan ( that’s right all the new transmissions have plastic pans) and change the one sump filter. Apparently the gasket for the transmission is reusable on this one. Guess we’ll find out.

The sump filter is clam-shelled plastic with a pleated filter. It looks like an air filter. No stupid press on seal for the trans filter tube like our trans on the RFE’s anyway. Just a slip on rubber……giggity…;)

I also leave all the transmission fluid out in the garage overnight so it’s the same temperature as the fluid in the trans so the levels are the same. Don’t let fluid temperature differences screw your fluid levels because it makes a difference.

I’ll show some pictures later tonight. Trying to get this done so we can go do some downhill mountain biking as a families later today and tomorrow is canoeing and kayaking.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It could be worse, if you had the 5.0 you need to remove heat shield, remove cooler assembly drop sway bar and remove transmission mount and lift the trans. I guess I was wrong, you dont need to lift the trans, that is the 10 speed with the 5,0, so good news.

So looking at it again, the reason for the trans drop or "raise" is only for the pan to clear the exhaust, now don't you guys think it would be easier or smarter to just drop the exhaust? It just seams crazy to drop a transmision to change the fluid.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone know the additive package of the 5w30 oem toyota motor oil?
I was wondering the same as well. Over here, we get this and its cheap. I mean really cheap.
61Dbo5yfCML._AC_SL1500_.jpg6160wbNFbUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
According to the bottle, it is made in colaboration with the Idemitsu Kosan Co. - I've seen some uoa for Idemitsu oil and it has a lot of moly.
This is the stuff that is used for all the Toyotas ovef here and these engines are driven hard. Some users take 10W40 as a standard fit.
A BITOG search gives us this.., but its only 0w20.
I also found this..

I was thinking of using Castrol Magnatec and Lubegard as a combination.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah we have 0w20 additives, just wonder if the 5w30 is similar with toyota,

Kap longtime member good people, however he got himself one lemon of a ram back in the day, so I can see the tundra move. If not Ram then what is the question. I probably would have avoided the turbo, but that's just me, many good things in those turbo's.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Imo, as long as the 'yota dealership is performing oci's while it's in warranty you shouldn't stress on what oil/filter is used. If something happens to your engine, it's on them.
I keep my trucks very long time, I got extended warranty for 10 years 120k miles but I plan to keep this truck for much longer to 200-300k miles. So I try to do good maintenance from the beginning so I get to experience benefits 15 years from now and not waste money on a new truck.
Not all dealers use bulk 50 gallon drums, the Ram dealer that I bought my truck from in 2013 did my free oil change when I first got the truck used bottled Mopar labeled oil. On the slip they give you it should list the Toyota PN for the oil and filter so you could do quick search to see if it's a bottle or a 50 gal drum.

If it doesn't you could always ask them what they use
I asked dealership and they say they use full synthetic oil for all new cars including my truck. I had them change oil at 1k miles already and receipt had part number for toyota bulk synthetic oil - which is fine, but nobody knows for sure what they actually use, it could easily be different than what receipt says.

At Toyota community we got this popular guy AMD aka Car Care Nut on YouTube who's a Toyota Master mechanic, worked at dealership for 15 years and he swears that dealerships usually use cheapest oil they can buy and not Toyota Oem oil. This guy is great by the way, really preaches maintenence and 5k oil changes.

And I want to make sure that they use at least mobil1 which is who makes Toyota oil in US.
Before purchasing their maintenance deal, id have asked these questions first.
My friend, it's not that simple. First, dealerships can lie. Second, you can buy extended maintenance from any dealer and go to any dealer. I bought my from Kansas dealership over phone, at 1/3 price what they charge us in California. Each dealership can use whatever oil they want as long as it's within spec. "brown and slippery" kind

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Do you regret going prepaid? If you were concerned on what oil the use you shouldnt have bought it? You can stick a might pump down the dip stick if you want to not milk it from the bottom, also you can put a valve under there to make oil changes easier. So you are done with rams? One couldn't blame you for that with the lemon you got.

The good news Kap, toyota's are not known for engine issues that I know of. If toyota uses thier oem oil it is pretty legendary additive package, high moly good for turbo. Do you know the weight they use? Anyhow, if the moly is super high you will know what they use is oem. Now, before going with blackstone, I would make sure they actually changed the oil at least once, so you know what they are using. And don't be afrain to ask them as well.

Gotta join a tundra forum, see what issues face you. Maybe start a syn thread :)

Hi Burla,

1. I'm not sure if I regret prepaid, it was $1300 for up to 80k miles, 5k tire rotations oil changes. Which also includes spark plugs and other misc items like air filters etc. So it's not a bad deal. I can still cancel it... But I do like my local SF Toyota dealership. At the beginning I assumed that dealership should use Oem oil but later I learned that it could be any cheap oil.

2. I'll look into this pump to get oil from the top.. Thx.

3. I'm done with Rams for now. It's a good feeling not having to worry about manifold bolts, hemi tick, or cam lifter failure. I do miss ram but Toyota seems to just have more reliable parts in their trucks.

4. Yes, based on me being heavily in Toyota community forums now, their engines are not picky about oil (so far), and any mid-level regular oil can take them up to 300k miles without any issues as long as you do regular 5k oil changes. This is my goal.

I follow this Toyota master mechanic guy a lot. Of course he only talks Toyota engines, and it's a whole different world from Ram, but I'll post a link to his popular video on engine tear down because of oil issues

5. Yes, if dealership uses Toyota Oem or mobil1 which is who makes Toyota US oil, I'd be perfectly satisfied. But I need to verify this somehow.

6. Thank you for providing spec sheet with information on Toyota oil.

I already had dealership do oil change at 1k miles. And will go soon to do 5k oil change.

Getting back to my original question - should I send sample to Blackstone right after the second oil change and compare values to the Toyota oil specifications that you posted above?

7. Do I also need to do TBN test?

Thx!

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
By the way, I don't understand why Ram doesn't have a mechanic on YouTube like Toyota Car Care Nut (I linked above) who would go in depth on technical reviews of engines, and really get to the bottom of these cam lifter failures, track patterns and explain community the true reasons behind it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
By the way, I don't understand why Ram doesn't have a mechanic on YouTube like Toyota Car Care Nut (I linked above) who would go in depth on technical reviews of engines, and really get to the bottom of these cam lifter failures, track patterns and explain community the true reasons behind it.
motor city mechanic is probably the best mechanic on the net imo, does dodge and ram. He is indepandant though.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Hi Burla,

1. I'm not sure if I regret prepaid, it was $1300 for up to 80k miles, 5k tire rotations oil changes. Which also includes spark plugs and other misc items like air filters etc. So it's not a bad deal. I can still cancel it... But I do like my local SF Toyota dealership. At the beginning I assumed that dealership should use Oem oil but later I learned that it could be any cheap oil.

2. I'll look into this pump to get oil from the top.. Thx.

3. I'm done with Rams for now. It's a good feeling not having to worry about manifold bolts, hemi tick, or cam lifter failure. I do miss ram but Toyota seems to just have more reliable parts in their trucks.

4. Yes, based on me being heavily in Toyota community forums now, their engines are not picky about oil (so far), and any mid-level regular oil can take them up to 300k miles without any issues as long as you do regular 5k oil changes. This is my goal.

I follow this Toyota master mechanic guy a lot. Of course he only talks Toyota engines, and it's a whole different world from Ram, but I'll post a link to his popular video on engine tear down because of oil issues

5. Yes, if dealership uses Toyota Oem or mobil1 which is who makes Toyota US oil, I'd be perfectly satisfied. But I need to verify this somehow.

6. Thank you for providing spec sheet with information on Toyota oil.

I already had dealership do oil change at 1k miles. And will go soon to do 5k oil change.

Getting back to my original question - should I send sample to Blackstone right after the second oil change and compare values to the Toyota oil specifications that you posted above?

7. Do I also need to do TBN test?

Thx!

Imo, It would be good to start an oil analysis report with Blackstone on your new truck. You'll establish an oil "health" report on how well your engine is doing on whatever oil/filter is being used.

An TBN is a great tool for deciding how to set an oil strategy/change interval/ longevity of your oil, or rather, how long you can run the oil when it's TBN is low based on the indication of how much oil performance additives are left in the engine oil.

Good luck and Happy motoring.